Home General Discussion

Half Life 2 Ep. 2 Spoiler!!

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
So did anyone else finish playing this game yet? Quite possibly the best gaming experience of my life. Never felt so scared, sad, and excited as I have playing through this. I've never seen such emotion put in a game. THEY KILLED ELI! I just hope they don't come back and bring him to life like they did Alex, otherwise death isn't that significant.

What did everyone else think about the game?

Replies

• acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    I liked Half-Life 2 a lot, I liked Episode 1 better than the base game, and I liked Episode 2 better than 1. They're just continually ramping up the quality of the experience.

Eli is not going to come back. He knows too much. Alyx never died she was just very heavily injured whereas Eli had his brained stabbed and sucked out.

The antlion defense part was so much fun. The strider defense was really inventive too, although I disliked how it seemed the only good way to fight the hunters was to run over them. Still, a minor blemish on a very cool sequence.

I noticed the music has gotten incredibly good too, it always kicked in at the perfect time and was very intense. Top notch stuff.

The seamless cinematic sequences have gotten continually better too. Dog taking out that dropship, the advisor scenes, the bridge collapse... all so good.

Valve really has propelled themselves to the top of the pack with the Orange Box.
  • Campaignjunkie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Campaignjunkie polycounter lvl 18
    Eli has the most connections to all the characters, so I think he was probably the logical one to kill off; working relationship with Kleiner and Barney, romantic tension with Mossman, fatherly love with Alyx, confiding in Gordon (the player). I think the amount of blood that shot out of his skull was a little perverse, but I guess it did the job. :P
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aniceto polycounter lvl 18
    the antlion defense was AWESOME, I didnt even realise there were hopper mines till it was over though, guess I'll have to go through it again laugh.gif
    I also really liked the antlion tunnels, very pretty, and having the guardian chasing your butt towards the end was great fun.

only thing I dissliked was the strider battle, I found it really easy and tedious.
    1. attach mine to car
    2. run over hunters
    3. destroy strider with mine

I got bored after the 5th strider
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Eli has the most connections to all the characters, so I think he was probably the logical one to kill off; working relationship with Kleiner and Barney, romantic tension with Mossman, fatherly love with Alyx, confiding in Gordon (the player). I think the amount of blood that shot out of his skull was a little perverse, but I guess it did the job. :P

[/ QUOTE ]Not to mention the fact that he knows who the G-Man is.

I throughly enjoyed the game all the way through from the Antlion nests to thrashing across the countryside in the junker to the final defense. I must admit I was rather overwhelmed by the Strider battle, not realising that the hunters could be run over until right at the end. I wound up in a last ditch effort on almost no health, facing off against three striders and a bunch of hunters right outside the base. An appropriately cinematic way to finish things and one of the most visceral sequences I've played through in quite some time. I do have a sneaking suspicion though that Valve were originally going to have Dog involved in the battle. It seems a little suspicious that he pops up right there, does some neat stuff and then disappears until the closing seconds of the game.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    UR HALF-LIVES HAS NOTIN ON TEH MIGHTIEST JUGULARNAUGHT THAT IZ HALOZ!!

Seriously though the whole Orange box is a big wad of "look at the cool shit we can do". Best advertising for an engine to date is playing the content that comes with the Orange Box. I've been to busy playing TF2 and portal to fire up Ep2. Sounds like fun and I'm glad I bought the Orange Box... now...
    I <3 my weighted companion cube.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hollowmind polycounter lvl 18
    I couldn't steer the car properly with just WASD. :P I ended up using the grav gun + logs to kill the hunters. Takes just a couple hits on each one.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    I had the same problem with steering, though I managed to pull it off with my pseudo drunken driving.

Antlion defense was fricking awesome, made even more badass by the Vortigaunts sudden rescue when I was at 7 health, empty of shotgun shells, and near panic at having to face the largest wave yet.
    I was kinda silly though . I saw the hopper mines in the bin , but I didn't recognize what they were until I was half way through the antlion nest towards the extract, and accidentally picked one up. Then I went "OH!" and realized how the previous minutes of my life might have been easier.

grin.gif Good times
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]

Antlion defense was fricking awesome, made even more badass by the Vortigaunts sudden rescue when I was at 7 health, empty of shotgun shells, and near panic at having to face the largest wave yet.
    I was kinda silly though . I saw the hopper mines in the bin , but I didn't recognize what they were until I was half way through the antlion nest towards the extract, and accidentally picked one up. Then I went "OH!" and realized how the previous minutes of my life might have been easier.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even sillier of you is that there were unlimited shotgun shells in that room in one of those foot lockers. laugh.gif
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
    i laugh when i heard the voice of that Firefly Guy on many secondary character ! ahah
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    lets not forget another death in Episode 2.... the rocket had a 8lb descrepency in it's payload

a moment of silence for Lamaar
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Just finished it. I quickly ran through both episodes this weekend, gotta say HL2 plus the episodes 1&2 add up to the best single player in an FPS I have ever played. The variation of the levels, the puzzles, the triggered events, the gunfights... just fucking badassery.

The episode was fun as hell, the antlion defense, the humters, the muscle car, watching dog tear shit up, just awesome. The success of the rocket was bittersweet, because each episode ends on a bad event. Eli getting his brain sucked out (remind anyone else of the brain bug in starship troopers?!), watching dog save Alyx and the fade to black as Alyx says "don't leave me..." hit me emotionally a bit and got me pumped as hell for any word on episode 3.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    a moment of silence for Lamaar

[/ QUOTE ]She'll be back. You just wait and see.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The G-man obviously came to the rescue for lamaar, offering that special headcrab a job.
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Dog rocks big time, love him. The scenes with the Advisors were fantastic, they had such a presence, especially the end where the second one came in.

Valve just keep on upping the bar. Great reference with the Borealis and the reference to Portal. I'm hoping the portal gun will be included in episode 3 for even more innovative dispatching of baddies.

Two thumbs up, limited purely by the number of thumbs available to me at this point in time.
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, the Advisors seem to be a huge rip-off of the brain bugs in Starship Troopers. That visual distortion effect when you're near one is awesome though.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just finished moments ago. Badassery beyond words.
  • Needles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Needles polycounter lvl 19
    I haven't tried it but what happens wen you stick the lawn gnome in the rocket? wouldn't that disturb lamaar at least?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Played through Ep1 again, with commentary on. Working my way through Ep2 with commentary this time. Really interesting stuff. Wish more games would include features like this. That's cool how they do the videos on a monitor. It's not a prerecorded avi or whatever. There's a camera actually pointing at shit that's happening on a different part of the map that's inaccessible.
  • Loren Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Loren Broach polycounter lvl 10
    Yeah I definitely want to run through the game with commentary on.

On a side note, anyone ever notice that one of the poison zombie death sounds has a strange laughing at the end of it. Like the person that was making the death sound couldn't help but laugh at the end. That's the only thing that bugs me about the game.....is that laughing.

poison.jpg

Am I alone in this observation?
  • Hollowmind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't noticed. I'm always too busy killing the little black fuckers jumping off him. Hate that zombie which makes him one of my favorites to fight.

One thing I have noticed is even with the motion blur effect added and this version's even heavier use of shaders the game seems to run even better than the other HL2 and Source games I've played. Dunno if they're just taking greater care to optimize the maps or what but I think it's awesome.