Home General Discussion

BSOD in games

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
MikeF polycounter lvl 19
Lately I've been getting some strange crashes to the BSOD whenever i try to play a game... All desktop applications i use (max, maya, ps, zbrush) work fine never crash, but lately every game i try kills me. I thaught it might be a memory problem, so i swaped ports and that solved the issue for the most part, but i'm still getting a few hits and misses with COD4, and source engine games. any suggestions?

Replies

• oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Could be any number of things. Especially with what little information your giving us.

Best thing I can suggest is open the dmp files if no dll stands out in the BSOD message. Then you might have a better way to discern which subsystem is failing.
  • ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    the latest drivers from ATI, 7.9 and 7.10, prevent me from launching any games. they're simply not communicating well with my hardware. whichever vendor you're using, try rolling back the drivers to before this began. also, with source games, disable all the new special effects if you're running on an aging CPU. that solved a few issues for me.

in general, BSOD on recent OS's means bad drivers.
  • Pseudo
    Offline / Send Message
    Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
    I had that problem and it turned out that I had a few bad sectors on one of my RAM sticks, and whenever an application tried to use one of those few spots I would BSOD. It worked out that the bad sectors were deep into my second stick of memory, so that the only time I would notice it was when an application tried to use all available RAM, which was usually when playing games.

Google Memtest86 and run that to check your memory.
  • MoP
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah I'd recommend memtest too, I had a similar problem a few years ago and it turned out it was my motherboard, one of the RAM slots was faulty. Could just be the sticks themselves though. Seems like a plausible problem.
  • HonkyPunch
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    This kind of shit was happening with me. I just turned my computer on it's side, and it worked.
    Why?
    Because my graphics card was loose in the upright position.