Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

skull anatomy SDK

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Japhir polycounter lvl 16
hi guys,
i've been working on this skull today because of the stuff being said in seforin's self improving thread. i figured i needed to know better how the actual skull looks like so i modeled it. (i already knew the rough forms, so it was also just for kicks :P)
here is what i've got:
skullanatomywipob4.jpg
it is quads only so suitable for sculpting, although i don't know if i'll try that.
i'd like to share it with you guys as an SDK or something (was also asked for in seforin's thread) but i have no idea where to upload it. so if i could mail it to any of you who does i'd be happy to. that is if there is any interest for it laugh.gif

crits and comments welcome offcource!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks good to me! smile.gif
    I can upload it if you want, send it to the account in my profile smile.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    That's a skull alright, the loops look good to me, anatomy looks correct too.

-Of course every skull is different, but i think you should make the temporal bones (sides) rounder so they roughly match the width of the zygomatic (cheekbone) in front.

-I think the eyesocket is too far outside, just bring in the outmost loop a bit so you can see the sides (once you have rounded out the temporal).

-Brow too squarish in middle, each side should have a "curve" of its own...if that makes sense.

-Is it missing the cartilage inside the nose?.

Maybe go even further and model actual teeth? but they can be sculpted too. Just my nitpicks smile.gif.

P.S.: to host your stuff for free: www.rapidshare.com
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys!
    he does have an internal nose, but i didn't really know how that looked so i just kinda did something tongue.gif
    i adressed your crits briefly and uploaded it to rapidshare so here is the file:
    http://rapidshare.com/files/62278434/skull.rar.html
    have fun with it! would be great to see some of you guys sculpt it and post it here (or somewhere else on polycount)

EDIT: oh and i didn't really feel like moddeling the teeth tbh tongue.gifcrazy.gif
  • Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i sculpted him (not such a high subdevision, i don't like sculpting in high subdivisions :P)
    skullsculptyb1.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    Your zb sculpt is looking much to blobby and undefined, which is weird, because you're low poly is much more defined, and has a better shape.

I think with the high poly you should define the planes of the skull better, to give it a better shape.

Take a look at this painting:
    http://williams.wlu.edu/gallery/Bill_Bar...5%20500(51).jpg
    see how it was sort of broken down into planes, and it's shape is much better defined by it.

Now I'm not saying geometrize the entire thing, just first define the planes. And then go back in, and smooth it out a bit and make it look more natural.

*Edit*
    I fixed it, I think.
  • Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
    hotlinking pictures is a sin? interesting painting there neo_god