Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

A New Free Texture Pack!

CJO
CJO
We've uploaded a new free pack of seamless textures ( www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/ ). The new pack contains terrain textures of all types, plus a number of planet images.

Lakeside%20Tropics.jpg

Ridged%20Canyon.jpg

The%20Fire%20Lands.jpg

Pyrobora.jpg

www.spiralgraphics.biz/packs/

Replies

• Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scream "procedural" to me, but still they might be a base to start textures with. Pretty hard making a procedural look natural, takes quite a bit of finesse.
  • kakikukeko
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kakikukeko polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    The scream "procedural" to me, but still they might be a base to start textures with.

[/ QUOTE ]

yup, I think I may use some in zbrush..
    thank you CGO smile.gif
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I would hope that they do scream "Procedural" EricChadwick. They are procedural, after all. That's what spiralgraphics does. Their Genetica software is for the creation and rendering of procedural textures.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Oi. "Screaming procedural" isn't a good thing. It means it lacks the uniqueness we find in reality and often times lacks realism altogether. These are traits we usually don't want in our games.

For example, take a look at that first image. Have you ever seen rivers flow like that? They follow the curvature of the landscape precisely--they're never flowing in random directions like the ones pictured.

The others are good but too uniform for my tastes--which is perfect for use as a base, like Eric said. But unless you have some very strict memory requirements (say an Xbox Live Arcade game), you generally want to stay away from using precedural textures as-is. They're not quite there yet.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, what I meant was most procedurals look like crap compared to good photosource or good handpainted texture. Procedurals can look good, but a visual artist's careful eye is needed.