Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Online Portfolio

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
TheWinterLord polycounter lvl 17
PontusB.com
Hello guys and girls I'm a student looking for internship work. So I got a site displaying my work, I tried keeping it simple and easy.

Maybe you can take a look and tell me what you think. look for things I should do better or have missed and stuff like that. smile.gif

Any critz would be great, thank you!

pontusb.com

PontusB.com

Replies

• joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    You have four props in your portfolio. In my opinion, that is not enough to impress an employer, especially since two of your props are a barrel and a wheelbarrow. You should have some kind of an environment to house your props in. I'm assuming you want to be an environment artist.

The barrel and wheelbarrow could use more work like rust on the edges, cracks or oil stains, but don't just slap the rust and stains on, try and think, if this wheelbarrow was sitting outside for a long time, say in a humid climate, and was being used a lot, what kind of wear and tear would it have. The tire on the wheelbarrow looks like its never been used. Same stuff applies to your barrel.

It seems like everyone and has a gun or a barrel in their portfolio, so its really important to make your stuff stand out if you choose to put those props in your portfolio.

I would go back and look at your tank again, look at the treads, and the wheels moving them. They also look to clean.

I hope this helps you and good luck with your internships! smile.gif
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Joe, I remade the barrel, and I will work on my wheelbarrow soon I know just the thing :P.

breakdown.jpg

I will do a small scene, i received a concept of a house from a concept artist that I can do for our game, in that scene at least the barrel will fit but not the wheel barrow.
    Should have the piece up soon.

Thanks for the good luck and nice critz! :P
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    I don't get the blank squares in the 2d section that have links to nothing. I think you should just take them out. On your spec maps add color to them, for the gun tint them a bit blue and on the tank you added some sort of shading to the diffuse that seems like it would be caused by lighting, that is the same on the spec map but without any color. Just make the diffuse with no shading and let the spec handle how color on the tank changes when it's lit. Why is there an edge down the middle of your tank? Does it do anything? If you must have that edge there have it do some work. It doesn't seem like it does anything on your model or in your texture. Nice work though. It looks like your tank is your oldest piece in terms of quality. The barrel is the newest and the wheel barrel follows. In those you added more details to the normal map why don't you do that for the tank so it doesn't look so flat, in moderation so it doesn't look like a noisy mess. Nice work though.

Alex
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    Why does the barrel look like it's soaking wet? If that was what you were going for, good work. However, I gotta tell ya, Rust doesn't have that tight of a spec. Regular ol dry rust doesn't have that tight of a spec, or even that powerful. Tone down the spec value on that thing a lot, and make it a little broader.

I have to agree with what Joe said. There's not a whole lot of content on that page to really get me interested in you. It's not to say the work is bad, because overall it's pretty decent. Just not really enough content to let me know how consistent you are, what your range of capabilities, etc. It looks like you did high poly modeling for some of the models, show those as well. Let me see what your high poly models look like, as that can go a long way, and it fills in the portfolio nicely.

An environment (even if it's just a show case for your props) with good texturing/lighting will really help I think. Keep it up, you're on the right track I think.

J
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage you are right about the order. The tank is the first thing I have managed to normal map. That is the main reason I don't have more stuff in my portfolio. As I enjoy working more with next gen I will make my pieces more in that direction.

Done:
    Barrel is not wet anymore :P Thanx for making me notice this, I just didnt think about it.
    fast fix on 2d section

To do:
    tweak spec maps with color
    include pics of highpoly. Sure?
    normal map to mp5 and wheel barrow
    The scene - got a sci fi house going on :P
    Update website

I will throw away the tank when I get enough other stuff as there are to many problems with it.

Thanks guys you are of much help!
    DICE is coming over on wednesday (to school) YAY smile.gif
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Don't throw away the tank just fix the textures it will be good practice and clean up the geometry. It just needs a little loving.

Alex
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    that barrel is using tangent space normal maps _? if yes id recomend viewing it in realtime with a directx shader smile.gif

add more variety, dont be prop artist #56447 , pick up some feng zhu concept art and do something from it .

the wheelbarrow has some polywast on the inside , the normal map deosnt fix silhouette issues, but it doesnt need many polys like that too .

i really like the gun and the tank smile.gif

sorry for my reply beeing messes up , but my head hurts as bananas frown.gif and ill also advie to show more realtime screenshots.

keep it up !
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Why does the wheel barrow look dirty on the surface and the wheel itself which makes contact with the ground the most would be so pristine?

Looks like you can upgrade anything these days...even wheelbarrow wheels.

You should definitely scratch up the metal and dirty it up
  • TheWinterLord
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks yeh my new concept is pretty special, I have to finish it this week though so it might take a while until I get to my other pieces. This concept is not for props guy #5032
    conceptwi4.jpg
    concept by Björn Norström a friend.

Johny All images are from the maya viewport in real time, should I get some other viewer? Any one out there that is easy exporting to that you recommend?
    I see what you are saying about inside of the wheelbarrow, Il get rid of those lines.

So far there are not so many comments about the actual website so I guess that is great! smile.gif If there was something bad about it you would let me know because what I have seen about when other people make a similar post like mine.

Thanks for helping me out with my work all!