Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2d and 3d Stuffs

Unbreakable
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Unbreakable polycounter lvl 17
Hi

My name is DeMario and I would like to eventually become a concept artist in the video game industry. Here is some of my more recent work. I just started back doing 3d so be gentle. Hope you like....

fantasy guy need to finish
knight.jpg

Sci-fi chick
scifi.jpg

thumbs
thumbs-1.jpg

tub

tubrender4.jpg
tubrender3.jpg
tubrender2.jpg
tubrender.jpg

Replies

• ThE_BirD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThE_BirD polycounter lvl 18
    Hey DeMario...good to see you out on polycount:) I'm diggin that first concept... it's got some nice rythm to it(and a funky color palette)... Maybe a little more love to the different materials would help punch it up even more. Right now he's got the same matte treatment to the furs metals and skin. The thumbs are slick too.. I like the ones with the unique helmet and shoulderpad silhouttes. Keep us posted.... I know you're always drawin' wink.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Demario!, glad to see you on this board. And this is a pretty good start for sure, how bout posting some of those hand studies along with your other concepts, or more of your sketchbook work that you are doing. Keep postin!

Spark
  • damdischink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yay,,, u created a forum!

Alright, time to be rough and straight forward.......

Ur tubby,,,, as for texture
    it doesnt show any spec,,,, it's made out of porcelain, give it some shine mang…
    rust doesn’t shine, so think about it while u’r creating the spec map….

rust looks really awkward, it doesn’t blend right to the porcelain…
    look at the ex. I show u,,, this tub has a nice blending between the porcelain

It looks like u blend the texture by hand,,, photo-source it!!!
    Don’t try to paint it unless U HAVE TO,,,,, that doesn’t refer to u if u r at genius level with art, and that u can paint life into a white sheet of paper.
    Go to cgtextures.com for textures.

Normal – it looks overly done, redo them

After this is all done,,, I’ll show u how to burn ambient light map into this tub
    like the tub I show u, it’s screen capture out of max

bathtub.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    hey the concepts are good but lacking depth, check out this guys techniques. http://itchstudios.com/psg/art_tut.htm

Ive been refering to this page of hints quite often because I find it difficult to really make my characters come alive and have depth and detail in the right places.

A key thing Ive learnt lately is to think carefully about which parts of your character will be closer to the viewer and which parts will be most in shadow. Work your characters saturation and contrast and brightness around these ideas, avoid the "my light is up top left so everything gets a top left specular" attitude, unless u want it to look a little bit flat like bas-relief. These are things Im trying to learn at the moment doing a piece of concept art for gameartisans.org .
  • Unbreakable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Bird- thanks for the crit i started on what you suggested should have an update soon.

Spark- thanks man and here go some hands and other stuff.

Ged- thanks and yeah that's good stuff

damdischink- ok here is what i got on the diffuse didn't want to go to far... because i wanted to see what you thought

newrender1.jpg
    newrender.jpg

here is some stuff that i'm working on for my port and some hands
    faces-1.jpg
    momohands1.jpg
    momohands.jpg
  • damdischink
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dont use that texture,,, the rust are too randomize placing.
    Find texture that has big area of rust along with small area of rust..... kinda like this

RustMixed0054_1_thumb.jpg

it's a bathtub,,, it contains waters.
    Long term of water touch will create rust.
    A lil bit of leaking from top will add a +

Remember, u are creating a nasty looking tub while retain its realism.
  • Unbreakable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is what i got
    notherrender.jpg
    notherrender1.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    in this last shot seems you applyed an highpass filter wich mde it look weird :S also its a bath tub, i wouldnt waste much time on it unless it is a vital part of any scene frown.gif But keep going !
  • Unbreakable
    Options
    Offline / Send Message