Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

PSP Vehicle.

IN3D
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
IN3D polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys.
Here is my little psp car with podium for it.
The car use 256x256 texture and is 1300 tri's. Podium was build from total texture space of 2x256x256.
The ground model was made from 2x128x128 textures combined together with vertex color map. Podium polycount is about 700 tri's.
In general it was my first attempt to create handheld 3d model. Thanks for comments! smile.gif
01.jpg

Replies

• Japhir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Japhir polycounter lvl 16
    WOW!!! that is amazing! i love it! can you please post your textur flats, because i think it's absolutely amazing how much detail you pulled of with just a 256^2 texture! truly amazing!
  • jmiles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jmiles interpolator
    great detail work, however the mesh doesnt look very sound for an engine.. i see n-gons on the wheels and parts of the body, i dont know how badly that would effect the game engine, or if the engine would automatically triangulate a model..but i'm sure you're well aware.. that's the only thing i see, really.. the from, however, is wonderful and the paint job expert... keep up the good work smile.gif
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 19
    hmm... i think the ngons would be ok there...since the wheels don't need to deform, only rotate. I've never worked on a psp title, but most engines can take ngons these days; they'll just auto triangulate, which can lead to wonkiness if you need things to deform a certain way.

looks good!
  • IN3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IN3D polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, thanks for a comments. Here is texture sheet.
    The car texture was painted manually the most. But for the environment textures i used stuff from cgtextures smile.gif
    Yes sure i'm aware then everything should be in triangles. I still not planed to put anywhere this game model, and the wheels was made like this for easier UVW work.
    texture.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this is really kickass man ! congrats !
  • Brice Vandemoortele
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brice Vandemoortele polycounter lvl 19
    From what I've learn from ps2 you should avoid triangulate to let the engine export proper strips (bunches of poly defined with a reduced amount of vertices). The more you triangulate the less freedom you let to the exporter to create those strips of triangles.
    Your texture maps still seem "big". On ps2 the optimum size for a texture is 128² (if using 16colours), actually the size of the texture cache (8kb). I heard - but I might be wrong - that on psp this is not a recommendation anymore, but an obligation. This means that if you succeed getting your texture down to 4bits, it would still be 4 time too big, 8 time if you're using 256 colours.
    Splitting textures as you did on the ground is the solution I think smile.gif
    Neat work on these tough wink.gif
  • IN3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IN3D polycounter lvl 17
    2Brice Vandemoortele
    Hm, i had a friend who worked on planes model for PSP title.
    They used similar specs to mine. But you can be right, i thought of splitting it 2 ways for 2x256x128. But ended up for using full 256 texture. Well anyway i created this model just for fun, not for any project, so i guess i still can call it psp model hehe.
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    That is really impressive, especially considering the limitations you imposed on yourself. And that uvmap is top notch
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    Fantastic car smile.gif. congrats!
  • Hito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hito interpolator
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Well as a vehicle artist and a car nut in general, I notice some things.

The wheels are far too wide and throws off the realism some. The car is your own design by the looks of it, though if you look at the pajeros, vitaras, lada nivas, and land cruisers of the same era, many of them have quite slender tires.

Also the front grill looks a bit naff, like I am not really sure what it is representing? Plastic? A radiator?

I won't harass you over the bonnet top vents :P

Lastly the rear window trims look very beveled to me. That is an utter waste of time for handheld stuff at low res. I guarantee that would be barely visible and is not adding much.

I once had to do a corvette C5-R in 1500tris for PS2. The only way it was really possible was by using massive amounts of alpha all over it, though this is generally a far more difficult way to go, I think employing a similar method here would save a banana load of tris. Either that or you could embellish the vehicle with all sorts of goodies like snorkels and jacks for the same polycount.
  • IN3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IN3D polycounter lvl 17
    2nealb4me
    The car design is not mine, and i tried to come close to reference. This is original car:
    1391d1191240355-psp-vehicle-ref.jpg

Indeed the rubber on windows could be made on texture itself, it was my mistake from a start, but i thought of giving it a try. I wanted to keep everything pretty much in solid mesh, and use alphas for windows. Well anyway it was my first try to create something for handheld model :P If will do something again will use different ways.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Haha it's real. Never seen one before.

The window wiper motors must get really hot in these cars, to need ventilation on the bonnet :P Even though by the looks, it has no wipers.

Also in this pic it is clear what I was saying about the wheels.

Lastly yeah I only added that info about the alpha techiniques FYI. If you ever do these types of models commercially then you will most definately have to make smart use of alpha. Assuming your co. is worth their weight in jellybeans wink.gif
  • Funky Bunnies
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Funky Bunnies polycounter lvl 17
    Whoa, major badassery! good work.
  • 3DGURU
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3DGURU polycounter lvl 17
    wew , ... low poly count and good small texture
    are you creating a psp game ?