Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Creature WIP

Hi, This is my first time posting and I'd appreciate any feedback that I can get. The concept is from one of Brom's works. The base mesh is 6898 tris and I'm hoping to get a normal map off of the high res mesh. When I start texturing this guy I might be using a bit more color than what is shown in the original. I noticed that the left hand is too narrow and I'll be fixing that. I need some fresh eyes to look over this. Any suggestions?

brom_reference.jpgBrom_HighRes.jpg

Brom_LowRes.jpgBrom_UVs.jpg

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    his chest needs to be more beefy front to back... and you could work a bit on your rigging (it looks ok at the moment, just nitpicking) as you're losing some important muscle shapes like the lower leg.

also, as well done as the model is, i hate the gridlike polyflow you have... i dunno why, but it sorta makes me feel like it's stopping the model look as natural as it should do.
  • fantasymaster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fantasymaster polycounter lvl 12
    Nice Creature. I like the extreme muscles, but the Meshflow is not perfect. Also some details like the tail or hair are to low in relation to the chest or ears. The ears are extreme highpoly, for what?
  • joe gracey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joe gracey polycounter lvl 11
    It looks like his hands are a bit small compared to the concept.
  • Aes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aes
    Impressive work!

It seems like his face could be a little more pronounced in comparison with the concept. The broad facial features, especially the jaw, make him seem convincingly dangerous.

Perhaps you could spend some more time developing his head so that his intriguing aspects aren't dulled. I would also take other's comments under consideration. You have a fantastic start; but if you don't mind re-unwrapping, you could follow through and make this into a masterpiece.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    model what you see; not what you think you see.

a lot of the basic shapes and proportions are just wrong. his ear is the wrong shape, his chest is too small, same with his abdominals. shoulders might be a touch too wide. face is too flat. hand is too long, fingers are too small on both. your bicep is too short and flexed incorrectly on his right arm. shin is too long and his feet are too short, toes too small. his tail thins out too early and is too whip-like.

polyflow does look a little robotic and could really use some tweaks, especially around the joints where you posed it and have some collapsing.
  • o2car
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    o2car polycounter lvl 16
    I wanna see more! Textures?