Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I'll show you mine if you'll show me yours.

Dear people of Internetland,

I have a folder on my computer with the intruiging name of "To sort before I die".
While I'm sure some would see that as proof of my procrastinating nature, I like to look at it and think "So far, so good!" and everytime I actually go in there and sort something out, I think "Good job" to myself. My latest good job is to have gone through a million (warning: slight exageration) brush-sets and emerging victorious with a compiled list of the ones that survived my selection-process (this consisting entirely of: is this shit? Y/N). Add to that a few tweaks left and right, a few of my own brushes and some complete overhauls of the brushes that *were horrible, but whose shape could be used for something.

As time goes on I'll probably slim it down some more by weeding out the brushes I don't really use, but I feel this is already a very useful set.
The lionshare of outsider brushes in here are from IdiotApathy and BaronTieri, as well as a few from Adobe itself, and I've tried to give credit where possible by putting their initials in the name. If anyone should find brushes of their own in here and decide they don't want them included, or they want to be given credit: let me know. My last intent was to take someone elses work and claim it to be my own, but since I've put some time into compiling and tweaking this set to my liking, I decided to get into the holiday spirit (It's COLD here, alright? Summer's gone home, and he's taken his ball.) and share.

As for what sort of uses you'll get out of these, I can only tell ou what I use them for, and that's Texture creation, illustration and concept art (hence the little people-brush)

Brushes marked P_ are mine (or at least modified severely enough to be), IA_ stands for IdiotApathy (check out his blog, it's terribly inspiring, and informative to boot!) ,BARON_ is for BaronTieri, and I forgot what I named the deniro brush(es?), but I'm sur eyou smart kids'll figure it out with good old wits.
As for usage: they're *brushes, I'd like to think this isn't DeviantArt, where every doodle made using someone's "brushes"(you know what i mean) has to be credited and provide a full link back to the original "author".
Incidentally, if you have a lot of money..
just kidding?

Here they are:
http://pea.johnyontehspot.com/files/peabrushes.abr

And here's a quick contact-sheet:
PeaBrushes_contactsheet.jpg

Replies

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thanks pea I might try them out, Ive only discovered the joy of photoshop brushes recently when I started using some character brushes marta dahlig gave away on an imaginefx CD.

I think they are included here http://www.imaginefx.com/02287754332749547717/issue-19-brushes.html
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well, now there are some handy brushes in there. What's the least version of PH you can run them on? I tried them out on 7 and they wouldn't load. I jumped back to CS2 and they load fine.

I'll clean up a few of my brush sets and post them later when I get a chance... heh
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Haha I know (and use) some of these!

I'll upload my last ABR asap. I gave up keeping the original author's name in there tho since brushes availalble on the internet are tagged 'use at your will' all the time. I now use a prefix system to sort them by type aso.

I also find tool presets even more useful than mere custom brushes these days since they also store opacity settings and color if you want to. Cool stuff, yet it's too bad it these have no thumbnail icon.
    Exemple below, with that menu is set to f8 to pop it up in front of the canvas at the press of a button:
    outils.png

The ones with underscores at the end and/or in uppercase format are the ones I use the most. This way I can jump to the right one in a snap, yo!

On a side note I just discovered that ZBrush3 can also save custom brushes presets (somehow).
    I love that human character brush Peapea!
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    I use barontieri's brushes a lot too, did a few ones I'll have to sort out and upload here
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for that, MightyPea. For the longest time I've been meaning to set up a custom brush library of my own, but I never get around to it and always end up using the hard edge brush with pressure sensitivity.
    Some of the example brushes you have in there look really handy and would save me a lot of time with my painting. Thanks once again.

-caseyjones
  • arrangemonk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arrangemonk polycounter lvl 15
    man, you could have mentioned that these brushes are for cs2+
    i downloaded 18 mb with isdn... without any result
    is there a posibility to get them for ps7?
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have mentioned, yes, sorry about that. I'm not sure I *can export these to work with 7, although I see no real reason why they wouldn't work. There've been no changes to the brush-engine, have there?
    Pior: hah, I was just about to mail you these, good to see you've got your own set already. The character-brush is pretty damned sweet for environment sketching.
    I started using the tool presets too, btw, but only for smudge-brushes so I don't have to save two brush-preset (one with spacing for drawing, and one *without, for smudging.) I don't see why they put it in if they can't make it as functional as the brushes-palette though. Fucking hell, couldn't they figure out we might want thumbnails? The way you've got it set up looks pretty sweet though. I found myself hoping Adobe'd add thumbnail-colouring in the brushes menu, so I could colour them according to their purpose or whatever. Nothing too complicated, just the colours you can choose for layers as well... I just press F5 to pop up the brushes-editor, stretched to fit the screen, so it'd be nice if I could make it clearer which brush I want at a glance.

Also, for those who've never used the smudge-brush with spacing turned off (brush-shape submenu of brushes palette), DO EET. You will kiss me. I tend to use my P_treebrush as a smudge-brush a lot, without spacing.

I'm compiling some patterns now, for use with the pattern-clone tool. Has anyone got any of those? Or maybe a good general set of swatches? Share the wealth!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Great job sharing the brushes Mightpea I was just thinking about requesting some burshes if anyone was willing to part with them.

I got some of the old ones that were shared some time ago, per128's & vailias brushes.

I agree with pea share the wealth! & not just brushes wink.gif maybe some swatches perferably human skin tones, metals, wood, ect, ect.
  • WipEout
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WipEout polycounter lvl 15
    Mightypea: Thanks, man! I'm gonna have fun with these. I need to brush up on my texturing skills-- that looks like a bad joke... sorry, but it's true-- my texturing sucks and I've been out of practice what with school and all...

$!nz: you're right, dude-- I'd like to see some swatch sets too! Really curious what the pros and should-be-pros use for their basic color schemes for people and different stuff. Like, do you have a certain swatch set you load when you're texturing a human, and another set for texuring a tank? Or do you just use photo refs and color-pick what you want out of those?
  • larolaro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    larolaro polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the brushes dude,

I make all my own brushes since i don't bother hunting down other peeps brushes and i usually make them for specific paintings and such, Theres alot of crap in my set but feel free to use em if they're are of any use to anyone.

There's about 74 various brushes - Here
  • Peris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Peris polycounter lvl 17
    I only ever use like 3 different brushes, maybe it's time to experiment with some more smile.gif. thanks P!