Home› 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Work Dump!

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Hazardous polycounter lvl 12
Hey guys, first time poster extremely long lurker, since about 2003 I think - FOR SHAME!

Firstly I have to say the What are you working on thread is an absolute goldmine for any artist out there - I've spent the entire day goig through all 300 odd pages its a goldmine, well done to all participants.

Im working on a mental ray skin shader for skin, have thrown it on some low poly models that ive done up.

Heres what ive got so far

Male_Skin.jpg

Female_Skin.jpg

What does everyone think, hit me with the crits - meanwhile im going to start on some heads!

Replies

• Bone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think you should make a tutorial!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    is that a realtime shader for programs like max? or is there an engine out there which can handle all those different maps?

the result looks spectacular, but i'd love to know how to create it in-game.
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is insane O_O

/speechless
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work on the shaders (but probably a bit unrealistic for realtime rendering) but the model (especially the female one) really doesn't do the shaders justice.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bone: Haha! Thanks - Ill try, though ive never made one - probably be hard to understand. And im fairly new to mental ray as well.

almighty_gir: Thanks for the compliments, as i mentioned at the top of my post at the moment, its a mental ray shader just for rendering purposes. As for the number of maps, theres 4 in Total

1 x 32bit Diffuse RGB - Alpha containing Bump Data.
    1 x 32bit Normal RGB - Alpha containing Specular Level.
    1 x 24bit Specular Color RGB.
    1 x 24bit SSS RGB for subsurface scattering input.

Just feed the same maps into the different instructions in the shader. Ill have to put up some screens of the setup i think to make it a bit clearer!

NeoShroomish: Thanks, I think haha.

JKMakowka: Thanks for the compliments, indeed its a bit heavy for realtime rendering, although if you look at the cry engine 2 demos and whatnot, i think youll find they are achieving a similar result with their skin, which is totally mind boggling realtime.

What do you suggest I do to the models? can you spot some problems ? if so by all means let me have the crits!!
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I second the tutorial idea btw crazy.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i'd like some form of tutorial too, i've got limited experiance with SSS, so this kind of thing will help me a great deal. not to mention, i might be able to stop my renders looking like pewp :P
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this does look interesting, a tutorial would be appreciated smile.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damnnnnn

i started to scroll down the images and i thought: hum. arms.. crap, crap, ohh ok. starting to look good. ohh , oh wow. this is awesome laugh.gif
    lol
    first i go from crap to wow in the same image. lol
    awesme
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    those hands look like the ones in bioshock.aewsome
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NeoShroomish: No problems, im working on something ill post it up when i get it completed.

almighty_gir: Heh, i know your pain, ive spent many a totally frustrated night trying to figure out how these pro's did all thier awesome renders. I was just allways thinking " Man that must be some cronic tweakage of render settings and whatnot to achieve those results "

So yup i will write something up and share it smile.gif

Ged: Yes Sir!

bitmap: Haha thanks smile.gif Bioshock arms, yeah i remember seening some footage, but I havent played it yet. Will have to check it out!

Here are the maps & sloppy UVW's - smile.gif

Textures.jpg
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    holy shit that is amazing

at first I was looking I was like yeah yeah that looks sweet... a little too shiny though.. then you slap on the second spec and YOU BLEW MY MIND

smile.gif

looks great
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx: thanks man. yeah i decided to lay it out like that to show what effect each step has on the render. The second layer spec controls and the HDR edge reflection really bring it out.

Ive just noticed something though. The male arm doesnt have any hair - looks like he shaved his arms. DOH! Ill have to make a hairy bastard next to compensate wink.gif
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    you know when you pinch your skin, it turns yellow for a second?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    no real reason to have a spec level map and spec color map, these can be combine into one.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf: Indeed, i wonder when or if weel ever see that in games wink.gif

EarthQuake: Your spot on, they can be.
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    Of course you'll see it in games. Bake the texture and toss a fake sss shader on it? Thats what Bioshock did.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz: I was reffering to what dejawolf said about pinching your skin, turning it yellow ( insert copious amounts of sarcasm here )
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Teeth and tongue for my characters.

Teeth.jpg

Comments / Crits welcome smile.gif
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saaaaaaaaaaaaaaweeettt
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Base head shape for a zbrush marathon...

Mouth might be a bit big tho ?

Head_WIP1.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you have some really awesome work ! i dig your style wink.gif show more !!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bitmap: thanks man! smile.gif

Johny: Thanks, I will keep postin! Holy shite man your folio is nutz! If I can be as good as you some day ill be a happy artiste'!
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Just a few crits of your head mesh :

The distance from the bottom of the nose to the top lip is pretty long, you might want to reduce this for a more "average" face. It might be that the nose is too short as well.

The eyes should fall almost exactly half-way down the head. Yours seem a little high, especially in the profile shot. I think you might need to add a bit more forehead/skull, rather than moving the eyes down though.

Male foreheads tend to slope backwards and the direction changes quite abruptly around the widow's peak/hairline area. The smoothly rounded forehead you have here is a bit more like a female head shape.

Nice meshflow though, should work really nicely as a general purpose base mesh.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast: Woah dude! smile.gif thanks for all that advice, I think your smack on the money. Ill make some adjustments and repost!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ive noodled around with some eyes today:

Its using the same shader, just with a raytraced material applied to a duplicate mesh a smidgen larger than the actual ball.

Presentation_eyes.jpg

I think the reflections and whole wetness factor needs some work still. what do you guys think ?
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    cool work dude.

nice eyes, although i think the iris/ pupil would be the only part with that kind of reflection.
    Not sure if u could slightly mask the white part of the eye?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LOOM: Cheers man, yeah i think you could be right, might fade it out a little with a falloff.

Just checked out your folio and thats the sickest grenade I've ever seen, nice work man smile.gif
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Oh wow. These "spare parts" you are posting look really awesome. Im exited to see them all come together in some interesting characters now.
  • rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    so you're just rendering these with mental ray, ie they're not actually real time, could you do all that with something like shaderfx?
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Did you paint your textures from scratch or use photos?

What are the texture resolutions? They seem quite high to me, but then again, I'm an environment artist. Our model-to-texture ratio is absurd frown.gif
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion: Thanks man - spare parts is all they are atm hah! But ive got some characters up my sleeve.

rawkstar: Correct these are not real-time, I hope I havent misguided anyone here. Ive been working on a MR shader for rendering good skin, and testing it on some low res models ive been building.

Im pretty sure you can get a fairly close result with shaderfx however. the skin is Crysis is even superior to what I've got I think.

coldwolf: I start off with a base of skin hues, and generate some cloud maps using render clouds , to give me a nice rough base of skin tones. from there I add in vein layers, patchy bits and various other things like tonal variations for the usually paler underarm, at a really low opacity, until I get something that im happy with.
    Finally I use various textures from 3d.sk for specific wrinkles, skin pores etc. And blend these in again using really low opacities, or layer strengths etc.

I will explain a bit more in my tutorial hopefully!

The texture res atm is 512x512.
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bullshit! my tablet died a couple days ago, sorry for the slow updated, new Intuo 3 on the way. cant wait!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Default Female mesh before Zbrush..

Default_Female.gif

What do you think guys?
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Havent updated anything at all for ages.. sorry! crunching at work argghhh

Anyhoo, i dont have enough time to finish my dominance war entry so i piked out and just decided to get her head done. Im definately goingto continue at my own pace and finish her off.

What do you guys think ?

Head_Render_3.jpg

Will add eyelashes and hairstyle after going back for some more skin imperfections and a redo over the lip textures etc.

All polypainting in zbrush so far, and this is just a zbrush viewport capture so ive hastily drawn in the reflection on her eyes in Photoshop! gahhh!

Ill get that sorted once she goes into max.
  • Tumerboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy polycounter lvl 16
    Very nice Hazardous!
  • Hazardous
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tumerboy: thanks man, im going over some major overhaulage of her eyes atm... they are bogus, especially the upper eyelid.

Head_Render_4.jpg
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    this is looking excellent, Im looking forward to updates, I really liked the way you did those teeth and tongue earlier in this thread, a great example for people like me who havent made teeth or tongues for low poly before.
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Very nice, but the mouth corners are very sharp. I think you could soften them off a little, and add a bit more of a "pouch" there. The face in 3/4 view seems a bit flat as well. Maybe you could recess the eyes, eye sockets and cheekbones into the face a bit more. As a rule of thumb, the tip of the nose should (nearly) touch the outline of the cheek in 3/4 view shots. This holds true for a surprising variety of face shapes, even for people with giant beaks on them laugh.gif

3quarterView.jpg