Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First time poster

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
breakneck polycounter lvl 13
Alright guys, my first post here. Figured i should get my early wip up here before The Keen does. Anyways, project off a concept sketch (artist unknown - from concrete games). 5000 tri limit.
Project04Instructions.jpg

3ds maxed so far, still need to model out details and what not, only 2,600 tris into it. . .should be textured in 2 weeks.
slum_wip.jpg

oh and does anyone else think this looks weird, the v shaped crack right in the middle?? just wondering.

slum_wip_02.jpg

and the back side - which i'm still trying to figure out if anyone has any ideas shout somethin out.
slum_wip_03.jpg

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    OH GOD PLEASE NO NOT THIS AGAIN!!!!!!

I can tell already you are an AI-San Diego student. Please for the love of god wipe this off the transfer drive at school.

First of all it is Concretes ART TEST and if they didn't send it to you I don't think it is right that you have it or anyone else for that matter.

Second you are an artist and doing this just shows that you are not original at all.

Third I take it you are going for environments / props / etc. This piece is really limiting on the specs. While you can get good results you are putting yourself up against everyone that has already done this piece and shown it.

Ask yourself. Am I gonna be able to make it better than anyone else that has done this?

It's just my opinion but honestly it's not a good portfolio piece and that is what you should be working on.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its fine that you're doing this, I would count it as practice and not put it in your portfolio unless you do something very different with it. Just know that quite a few people will also have this exact same piece in their portfolio will be applying for the same jobs you are, about the same time, so do something interesting and make sure it will be remembered as the one shanty that broke the mold.

The V looks weird but only because that one plywood shape repeats so often. Plywood is a fix, it doesn't stop bullets well and if you look at the ref more closely you'll see that is meant to be the remnants of the original railing, not shanty board cover. This is a chance to show hints at what the building was originally build for, show some history in your prop and help sell the hap-hazardness. If you're set on using plywood as a railing, you should bake that one corrugated metal piece into a normal map so you can use it to better break up the repeating plywood without having to worry about it costing more polys. You can even hide the ends under the other boards so the obvious normal mapped ends won't be obvious.

I think you need to work on the destroyed corner of the building, the floating chunk looks too big and odd.
    In the ref the window on the corner is blown out and it is a great opertunity for detail, but I think you're wasting it by just chipping off a thick layer of plaster/brick. You should open that corner up and show some of the inside, maybe add sand bags like its a gun encampment. "OH GOD I HAVE TO MODEL THE INSIDE!?" No just the parts you'll see from the outside it can be done very simply but can make a huge impact on the silhouette and level of detail.

Next put yourself in this scene, live here, work here. Come up with some back story for your dirt, debris, and clutter. Think about what you would need, use and have if this was your place. How would you keep it safe when you're not here, how would you defend it when its under attack? How has it been attacked before and you have since had to repair or improvise?

Lastly give your props personality, instead of making "barrel991a" and placing the same prop in a cluster 5 times. Make "HappyBarrelDarrel1" and "SadBarrelSheril1" get that emotion across and then build a stack of 5 barrels with them. 1) it will be more interesting to look at and different from everyone else. 2) it will give you different details to work with as you rotate the prop giving the player the impression you have less repeating props than you actually do.

It looks like you're off to a good start, I like what you have even if the subject matter is a touch over done. It can be a great piece if you push it.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eeeh, well my reputation is already ruined. .. .
  • Matabus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matabus polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No it's not. Everyone here is only trying to help. Honestly if you can make this piece look amazingly cool, go for it. Your ability to model solidly from a concept and paint interesting and smart textures is what will get you a job, no matter what the subject matter.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

>>Snap goes the rubber glove<<

Polycount 101:
    Well thats what's different about polycount, most of us don't coddle people. Pimpin&Previews should really be called "rip my art apart and tell me how to make it beter" but the name is too long heh. Most of the "harsh" crits you'll get here are aimed at helping you take your art to a new level. They may be hard to read but they are constructive. They are exactly what you would hear from any Art Director. If it wounds your ego to read such things think about how its going to feel when those same comments come up in person, in a room full of other people, during a in a build review. You'll either need to grow some thicker skin or consider a job where people don't ask you to push yourself.

Things to think about:
    Some places are fine with people who just tow the line and make the shanty they see in the ref pixel for pixel. But honestly those places aren't going to be pushing any boundaries they're just happy someone applied.More than likely you'll be working on Barbies Horsie Round-Up for 5 bucks below min wage, in North Korea, where the strength of your power supply is based on how fast you can pedal.

If you're happy working at a crap hole place, and you're happy just towing the line then I'm happy you're happy, ignore the suggestions we make.

Based on what I see I wouldn't suggest making improvements if I didn't see something I liked. What you have is "good" and would work in a few games just fine, but I think you have it in you to do better if you push yourself and consider a few things in new ways. You can try to get a job with this shanty the way it is and maybe have a few doors shut on you but eventually one will open, or you can push it and have that door open sooner and have it lead to a nicer place to work. Really its up to you and how much you're willing to put in that determines how much you get out of the place you'll be working at.

Do you want to beg for an interview, then beg for a job, or do you want them to beg YOU to work there? I know what position I would like to be in...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seforin polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

>>Snap goes the rubber glove<<

Polycount 101:
    Well thats what's different about polycount, most of us don't coddle people. Pimpin&Previews should really be called "rip my art apart and tell me how to make it beter" but the name is too long heh. Most of the "harsh" crits you'll get here are aimed at helping you take your art to a new level. They may be hard to read but they are constructive. They are exactly what you would hear from any Art Director. If it wounds your ego to read such things think about how its going to feel when those same comments come up in person, in a room full of other people, during a in a build review. You'll either need to grow some thicker skin or consider a job where people don't ask you to push yourself.

Things to think about:
    Some places are fine with people who just tow the line and make the shanty they see in the ref pixel for pixel. But honestly those places aren't going to be pushing any boundaries they're just happy someone applied.More than likely you'll be working on Barbies Horsie Round-Up for 5 bucks below min wage, in North Korea, where the strength of your power supply is based on how fast you can pedal.

If you're happy working at a crap hole place, and you're happy just towing the line then I'm happy you're happy, ignore the suggestions we make.

Based on what I see I wouldn't suggest making improvements if I didn't see something I liked. What you have is "good" and would work in a few games just fine, but I think you have it in you to do better if you push yourself and consider a few things in new ways. You can try to get a job with this shanty the way it is and maybe have a few doors shut on you but eventually one will open, or you can push it and have that door open sooner and have it lead to a nicer place to work. Really its up to you and how much you're willing to put in that determines how much you get out of the place you'll be working at.

Do you want to beg for an interview, then beg for a job, or do you want them to beg YOU to work there? I know what position I would like to be in...

[/ QUOTE ]

how about ASS Rape 101 ?

I still say there needs to be more people who rip on here with helpful advice though, seems like a handful of people who give full and good critique other than, it needs work.

But yeah man as far as your scene goes I suggests maybe a bit more mounds of garbage and such around, make that thing have a few misc pieces around to add to the effect of beaten up building, newspapers and soda cans all that kinda stuff
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, at Polycount they only rub your shoulders and call your shit a masterpiece after you've been here for quite a while.

There's 2 sides to everything:

It's fine to base your work off other people's concepts. Actually, unless you're aiming for a lead position it's a terribly good thing to show that you can work off other people's concepts.

Beyond that, it's just as important to how that you're able to improvise and expand a concept, photo ref or desired style, ie: take the style and feel given and build a cathedral or town plaza to match it if necessary.

So, in a portfolio you want to display both skills, the ability to read and interpret a concept or idea properly and the ability to match, improvise and expand a desired style and look.

As for pushing yourself and doing your own thing blabla... until you master anatomy perfectly, you'll only make a fool of yourself if you try to be 'original' and don't base your work on reference. Meaning that, until you master the trade, you should learn to mimic what you see and learn why it heavens it works and looks good.
    I don't care how original something is, if it looks OFF.

As far as your building goes, i think it's coming along pretty nicely but you kinda got the railing stuff wrong i think. Yours looks all broken and replaced while in the concept, 1 side seems to be undamaged (if cheaply constructed) while the other side broke down and has been completely replaced with a wooden frame and rusted metal planks.
    You can either say you got it wrong, or are trying to be original smile.gif
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Welcome to polycount, where what you put in is usually equal to what you get out of it. Meaning, that if you listen and work with critiques given, and work hard then you will be better for it. There are to many people that take critiques as a personal attack, which you need to realize that as an artist, critiques are not an attack but either advice or an observation. I agree that this piece is going to be in alot of portfolios, and you can either decide to push beyond what the concept is showing and make it more of your own, like Vig suggested. Or start on something new, like Jesse was in a not so subtle way suggesting ( smile.gif ). Honestly I might suggest doing smaller prop pieces, and showing the progression so that you can learn the mistakes you are making in poly form, before you go to your uvs, and way before you start on your texturing. I think of modeling/uvs/texturing like a baseball game, as you need to make sure you tag 1st, before you get to second, before you get to third to make a homerun. Stick with polycount, and post as much as you can, as there is alot of talent here that will make you a better artist....I guarentee it.

Spark
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh yeah... I forgot to mention... Welcome to the boards.

Don't take things to heart. We will sometimes say things that seem like your work is garbage and you should apply at your local Burger King but we all mean well.

This place will seriously push your work to a higher level if you listen to what people are saying and don't get offended.

I also just found out that this is now a class project at AI so if thats the case then yeah you should finish this. Just make it totally bad ass. Add stuff to the environment around it. Trash cans, fences, busted up crates.. Anything that goes with the scene.

Good luck and looking forward to your work in the future.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Yeah Jesse I was about to chime in...I believe they scrapped the test and "gave it" over to AI. They do it in Portfolio or something class now, and give em a few weeks to do it.

Some real gems out there. Sucks for those of us who actually did it within a deadline and did a decent job. Now every Tom and Dick out of AI has this thing. Now I gotta make something to replace it wink.gif
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    to all: yea, don't get me wrong either. i'm glad to recieve any and all crits and comments.

- yes this is a class project so i have to do it, i'm just sharing my newbness with you all in hopes of recieving good ideas and direction.

- yes i'm another ai guy. . .
    - but i dig poly count and anything you all have to say is appreciated.
  • The Ben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The Ben polycounter lvl 18
    AI guy right here. And the dude sitting next to me at work? AI guy as well. Enjoy yourself at school, man. And good thinking getting on the polycount train early. Can't do anything but help.
  • The Keen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, yeah I'm in the same class with breakneck. I've decided to not do the project and am going to do something else. I've already passed the class, and I'll take a good portfolio piece over a good grade any day.....something to think about? Come on Lawrence, join the band wagon and REBEL! REBEL against Christian's class! BWAHAHAHA!!!

Nah, I'm just messin, do what you want.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Personally I don't think it is a bad exercise. It really shows you how hard it is to model that whole bastard and get it all to fit within the texture space.

Fit all 2 stories top to bottom..the ground and sidewalk..all the little pieces into a 1024 texture. Do a great job on and then tell me it was easy. Normal mapping something with those sort of specs is also a royal pain, because you can only overlay certain things a certain way...

Either way, I would suggest doing it. If you don't get a decent product out of it, it might be an eye opener for where your portfolio stands.

Getting into Emer's class and seeing 95% of the class couldn't get a single prop modeled and unwrapped in 4 hours, let alone textured was just mind boggling to me. Makes me wonder what some people think they are going to do when there is something called a deadline. Oh wait, they won't be in that situation. Their portfolio is full of clay renders and unfinished mudbox globs because that's "next-gen".

I miss school.
  • JoeinNC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i woulda added a derelict car next to the wall a clothesline on the upper deck, a few dented trashcans, etc etc
    I love doing ruins and stuff like that
  • Motz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Motz polycounter lvl 12
    rofl welcome to polycount. everyone comes here for masochistic reasons. you make art, get your be-hymen torn up and grow thicker skin. Art is personally originality. The test is made to see if you can hit a spec. Most people do this and loose that spark in the art, and we get flooded with art tests.

It's a boring, very basic art test. You wont learn much from it unless you completely rock it. Add some characters hanging off the roof, or trying to install the dish on top, or put a crashed helicopter in the side of the thing. Get the creative juices flowing, go above and beyond the boring concept.

OR do what you want and to hell with us is the typical response.

I do have to tell you that your $80,000 education (this is not an exaggerated number) ripping off a companies art test for class material is pretty fucking lame. I go to Ivytech in IN, and we have themed exercises but never rip a test from a company. WTH are you paying for anyway. You can just grab art tests, and model them from home no?
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    haha that basically sums up the way the school works. Most all of the lessons are tutorials that someone else wrote, or having you do tutorials straight out of the Unreal book that you could have done sitting at home.

Thankfully there are a few teachers who go above and beyond, but sadly only about 5% of the faculty has any real game experience within the past 5 years. The administration side is even worse. Most of them don't know the first thing about what the degree is even about, let alone the needs of the industry.

And if you were going to OC it would probably be closer to 90g.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I can honestly say that if I had to do it over again I would have just gone to a cheap as hell community college. Taking art courses for drawing and designs. Maybe some architectural type stuff and then just sat on the forums and purchased a few books.

The only thing I did get from school was a lot of connections which in this industry is key but a lot of those same connections were made at conferences or through cgtalk, polycount.

The schools classes really are not challenging to say the least BUT you get out what you put in and some people that go there feel that they will get a job just because they went to A.I.

Haha....
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heres a little update. I'm ready to unwrap and begin texturing. any comments?

test_front.jpg

test_back.jpg
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    The satellite dish is too deep, it should be a lot shalower. Take a look at some reffs on the net. It will also look smoother with the amount of polys you have if you have it shaped correctly. The rest looks good to me but I'm not an environment artist.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    show some screenshots with lightning that would look close to ingame please, GI renders like that usually mean wasted minutes to show something even a wireframe would show better. Keep it up and good luck !
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok some crits from me on how I think you could really push this piece to be something really nice.

-Wireframe. It's hard to crit this without seeing how it is put together.

-Sat Dish... too deep. look at some reference on this.

-Damage to the building doesn't seem realistic. If it's a brick building the edges shouldn't be as jaggy as not all the bricks will break like that. Some will keep the brick shape and you should try and use that as well.

-The piece of the wall that is just floating. Right now I'm looking at this and thinking how is that still there. If you look at how thick the walls are then this would have walls like 2-3 feet thick. That is way too much.

-hanging wires. how many tris did you spend on these? I don't think that is where you should focuse a lot of tris for this to make it interesting.

-Scale. Add a biped in that is in scale to your door and see how he looks by moving him around in the scene and compare him next to some things.

right now some of the scale seems off. The overhang over the garage doors looks to be really low. Like maybe 6 feet off the ground.

Keep in mind that when this test was given to the people that were interested in Concrete they had about a week to complete it so while you shouldn't rush your way through it and miss important things don't spend a month working on it either like some people do.

So far so good. Just keep up the progress and post some wires.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stupid newb question: how to render with edge faces showing ?? - using max

--also, i'm already workin on uv's . is it possible to rework my mesh without having to redue all my uv unwrapping?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    F4 and print screen wink.gif
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahh. . .print screen. . . i thought there was some super secret way to do it - thanks

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1-1.jpg
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Welcome to polycount, where what you put in is usually equal to what you get out of it. Meaning, that if you listen and work with critiques given, and work hard then you will be better for it. There are to many people that take critiques as a personal attack, which you need to realize that as an artist, critiques are not an attack but either advice or an observation. I agree that this piece is going to be in alot of portfolios, and you can either decide to push beyond what the concept is showing and make it more of your own, like Vig suggested. Or start on something new, like Jesse was in a not so subtle way suggesting ( smile.gif ). Honestly I might suggest doing smaller prop pieces, and showing the progression so that you can learn the mistakes you are making in poly form, before you go to your uvs, and way before you start on your texturing. I think of modeling/uvs/texturing like a baseball game, as you need to make sure you tag 1st, before you get to second, before you get to third to make a homerun. Stick with polycount, and post as much as you can, as there is alot of talent here that will make you a better artist....I guarentee it.

Spark

[/ QUOTE ]

Am I gonna get a suit now , mens wear house?

haha yea I agree listen to this guy, he knows what hes talking about! laugh.gif

JesseMood: Yea AI im going to is in the same boat, I say theres about 3/4 who post on here in the entire school that I know of, and other than that everyone else seems to be fine thinking they will get jobs with the schools help. there writing off my buddy who got hired at midway as a success story the school took credit for, what there leaving out, is his art tests, the time he took off work the last 2 months, him going to GDC, and wasting his own money he had been saving just to meet contacts....gotta love school edumactionz

your scene seems to have ALOT of tris for a flat plane, whats up with that, you boolean something there? confused.gif

ground as well, did you model that chunk of garbage from the floor itself instead of its own unit?
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    game_designers.jpg

tighten up the graphics on level 2

dont use the ways of the boolean for everything
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aww. i wanted to welcome u too! is it too late? no? kk:

welcome to polycount! and do enjoy getting ass raped, and having 'new ones' ripped for u! cuz a) u'll never have constipation problems in the future, and b) these guys here give genuine crits. i swear i'd be nowhere now if it wasn't for these guys. wait... i am nowhere.... but hell, i've improved faster in 1yr wit these guys than i did in 4years with some other forums, and alone. they won't bullshit u about how nice ur art looks if there's something wrong. they're honest, and that's what helps most. even though those discussions ended a few posts above, i thought i'd jump in on that wagon too laugh.gif!

btw: yeah, it seems like u went crazy with some booleaning? that always screws meshes up i think. so u'd have to go through a cleanup before uv templating or something along those lines.

cheers!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah everything looks like its 1 mesh...BAD...VERY BAD...Well it can all be one mesh but it doesn't all have to be water tight.

Just looking where your stairs meet the wall i can see a ton of wasted polys and where the building meets the ground.

The grounds flat. Why waste tris to get the shape of the ground when all it is is flat?

You can use interpenetrating geometry and it would save you so much time when it comes to optimizing and uvs.

I'm guessing you are wasting a couple hundred tris or maybe even more.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    You won't possibly be able to lay out that ground area and still get a decent texture quality with a 1024. That is probably the hardest part of the exercise - still getting the ground to look halfway decent while fitting the entire texture onto a 1024.

You need to start cutting up the geometry so that you can overlay the UVs. The same will have to go for a large number of the objects. Sometimes you have to make intentional cuts down the center of objects so that you can overlay the UV's in order to maximize the texture resolution.

Oh, and Jesse, you are going to love this - but some of the geniuses at AI (Ya know, the ones with zero industry experience) will get a single industry person to tell them that they use closed geometry in their engine, and therefore the teachers demand it in their class...never teaching about floating geometry, and basically telling students it is bad and "not used in the industry."
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Adam he is at the AI in San Diego.

Yeah Ott is right about the ground textures and the other pieces. For this you really have to be amazing with your uv layout and not waste anything. Overlaying is key and so is mirroring anything you possibly can.

Yeah I know how it is at AI my friend. Sad...it really is but hey look at the bright side we (Gavin, Phil, Geoff, Judd, You, Me, Adrian, Tyler, Artur, Nate, Carlos and I know I'm forgetting a ton of people) all have pretty solid portfolios and good jobs.

Then again we never really did listen in class and kinda did our own thing but yeah. Floating Geometry not used... Shit I better tell pretty much every company I have done contracts for lately that I have a shit ton of models to fix.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the feed back - and converstation.
    quick question - is overlapping uvs ok w/ normal maps? i've heard its a big no no.
    as for floating geometry, i have yet to hear that phrase get muttered in school and yes its been a lot of "water tight" labor and headaches.
  • rybeck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You won't possibly be able to lay out that ground area and still get a decent texture quality with a 1024. That is probably the hardest part of the exercise - still getting the ground to look halfway decent while fitting the entire texture onto a 1024.

[/ QUOTE ]

@ ott,

Last friday, by accident I found nice collection of your gallery full of awsome props, and I saw the same project you have finished. So I guess you know this project thoroughlyk, don't ya?
    I'm wondering, if you can give a bit more detail explaination about how to manage overlapping UV in order to maintain decent ground texture. How you deal with normal mapping then? Do you move the overlapping part off out of 0 to 1 UV space and bring them back, afterwards? (well, this is I learned from ben mathis' tutorial...)
    I am off school now but still learning max by myself in searching for a job..
    thanks in advance.

@ breakneck,

I ran across this tutorial the other days, and guess you may be interested in reading it.
    Especially 'how to deal with overlapping UV' in baking Normal. Well, I could be wrong, since I am still learning Max by myself. Hope this help though.

[http://www.poopinmymouth.com/tutorial/normal_workflow_2.htm]

Rybeck
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    is overlapping uvs ok w/ normal maps? i've heard its a big no no.

[/ QUOTE ] It really depends on the engine you're working with. Most engines it doesn't matter, and it will only get screwed up when you bake. BUT there are ways around that. Such as moving one of the pieces up in the W space, or moving it over like Ben Mathis covers in his tutorial.

I think you need to look at optimizing what you have using less joined geometry. Then look at cutting your geometry to make use of tiles and save some texture space for big detail items. Everyone concentrates on poly count but texture memory is often a bigger concern.

[ QUOTE ]
    as for floating geometry, i have yet to hear that phrase get muttered in school and yes its been a lot of "water tight" labor and headaches.

[/ QUOTE ] Kill these people, honestly they are ruining so many people it's scary. They need to be stopped. Every other artist I work with came from an AI and I've had to teach them new ways to work. You know how many times I heard "but at AI they said" or "yeah but in Maya its called".
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    hey now Vig, i came from an Ai and i've actually shown veteran artists a new trick or two with this confounded normal map technology. just cuz breakneck is a noob doesn't mean all us Ai students are a lost cause wink.gif(josh'n ya breakneck)

some instructors... they just don't know is all. they mean well.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah there are a lot of AI guys that know there stuff and doing pretty well for themselves.

As for crits yeah gotta echo what Vig and everyone else has already mentioned.

You are gonna want to be able to overlay this stuff as easily as possible so even cuts here and there is what you really need to do.

Also don't worry about the overlapping. You aren't going to be building a high res mesh are ya?

If you are getting all your normal maps from crazy bump / nvidia than you have nothing to worry about.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I should have prefaced my statement with: "I work with AI students that graduated more than 3 years ago, some more than 7 years ago and 95% of them came from the AI of Seattle."
    I didn't mean to come off as saying they where bad artists. I've learned a bunch from them and a trip down the AI pipe (minus the debt) would teach me some good stuff. I guess what I don't like the most about AI's is the false sense of "I'm doing everything right" that can be hard to break thru when you have to re-educate people.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    oh man, i was only joking -_- sry.
  • ScubaSteve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScubaSteve polycounter lvl 17
    im from art institute of ft lauderdale and there is about 3 people to become succesful so far(that graduated) me working at a small game studio(its ok for now) still working on demo reel stuff... and one at midway and one at nspace...the rest of the 352022350 kids nothing they are lazy...
  • seforin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    im from art institute of ft lauderdale and there is about 3 people to become succesful so far(that graduated) me working at a small game studio(its ok for now) still working on demo reel stuff... and one at midway and one at nspace...the rest of the 352022350 kids nothing they are lazy...

[/ QUOTE ]

cough 4 , dont forget the other one who works PT with you scuba steve

but yea entire school is made of really lazy people and selected talent, and im saying lightly S-E-L-E-C-T-E-D
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the critique. I'm pretty much set in on a project at work for a good long haul before I can show anything, so I am actually in the process of working on some new stuff to fill out my personal portfolio. I've got some decent stuff, but my skills have greatly improved and I think I can definitely fill in some of the gaping holes in my current portfolio smile.gif

As far as overlaying UV's, here's the basics of overlaying a plane (your ground surface for example)

overlayuvet2.jpg

Step 1 - Cut or create your geometry into sections.

Step 2 - In your unwrap, break apart the polygons into individual polygons in the unwrap window. (Control + B is the hotkey for "Break" in the UVW editor)

Step 3 - Overlay these UV's, and place them on your texture in a tillable square. (As shown in figure 1 and 2.)

Basically all you need to do now, is designate a portion of your texture to be whatever that material is going to be, and overlay all of those polygons onto that square. It can be any size you wish, but it has to tile properly for this to work.

Think of it just like you are making a tillable 512 or something, but on a smaller scale and only on a portion of your texture. Using this method some people will model an entire buildings with 1 texture, and designate 1 part of the square for brick, one part for steel, one part for concrete, one part for wood...etc.

You can use this method to really take advantage of limited / small texture space. This method is also used in any sort of game where small texture sizes / uses are imperative. MMOs or handhelds for example.

Hope that makes sense!
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ott-
    thanks for the lil' tutorial. i understand the whole overlapping uvs but i was taught that its not possible if i plan to normal map. however, i did a test overlapping w/ normals with the crazybump program and it worked just fine. so i'm gonna give it a shot with this project. i'm starting to realize just how small 1024x1024 is for this whole house.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    True, there are parts where the normal maps might have some odd results. For example, if you mirror along an opposing axis, the lights and shadows and bevels and highlights might all be in a different direction.

The same goes for your spec map...this is where you could possibly also have some strange results in an engine with reflection maps. Play with it and see what you get. Sometimes it works well, other times it can cause issues.
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    A much faster way of mapping by face is just selecting "face" when you add your UV modifier.
  • Birdman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just wanted to say there is a ton of us AIPX guys at Mythic.
    (What up KP and Ben?)

As for the your work. It's looking good. Just put some wicked ass texture work on it.
  • breakneck
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok, here it is. i'll take the overall advice and chaulk this one up as good practice but i'm still open to crits and comments. . . i know theres alot to improve on so any feedback is welcome . . .however i don't think i'll use any crits to improve this project - i'll put them into later projects. . . enjoy
    Lawrence_Durbin_layout.jpg