Home Technical Talk

Dad 'n Me, Alien Hominid

I'm curious; I know that these games are flash games and I know that flash is heavy on vector objects but I was wondering if anyone has tried this style inside of Maya?

I wonder if you can make 2D-ish characters using only polygons (ie: vector style).

Replies

• aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    if you go to this companies site: http://www.threeleggedlegs.com/

then check out their short film about a samurai they did. I think its called samurai or something, but I forget... Anyways, it was done almost entirely in maya much like how you just suggested.

Also, South Park is done entirely in Maya now I think.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    You can render Flash movies with Maya too, and hence get vector output. Just change the renderer to Maya vector I think it's called.
  • Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    You can do splines for example, that are basically 3d vectors and you can render them out.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I have a tutorial I wrote on Vector Rendering for Maya actually, let me dig it up for you. You can render out swf's from Maya Vector, still frames or animations, and import them as whatever layers you need.

For example: You can render out an attack animation with different weapons and import it as different layers. 1 Layer for the character, 1 layer for each weapon, put it together and you can switch equipment by toggling the visibility of different layers.

Let me dig up my tutorial and I'll post it for you. It's for Maya 7, but I'd assume it's still applicable.

UPDATE:

Found the tutorial, put it on my site at:

http://www.sammunro.com/vector_rendering.doc

I apologize for the relatively informal way it was written, it was a quick favor for a friend of mine. I wrote it when I knew a lot less about 3d, so if my terminology is wrong I apologize. It covers the basics of how vector rendering works, and includes pictures explaining it. Hope it's useful, let me know if you have any other questions about maya->flash. I might do a more professional re-write and add some more to it, depending on my schedule.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I wanna meet that dad.
  • Emil Mujanovic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emil Mujanovic polycounter lvl 18
    Per is my dad.

-caseyjones
  • locus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    awesome thanks guys. Honestly I'm more of a programmer than an artist =) but I do have some Maya skills which is why I asked. I've been trying to think of a way to generate frames of vector data to be used (maybe) in a 2D game that used geometry instead of bloated textured for HD rendering.