Home Technical Talk

quick, dumb alpha question....

fritz
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
fritz polycounter lvl 18
is there some way to have an alpha plane render both sides in viewport? front is fine...when i rotate around you can't see it.

max 8
J.I. style skin shader

thanks!!

Replies

• Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Well the quick and dirty way I would do it would be to shift click on the plane and flip the normals while in face subobject. You can try and use a two sided material but I suspect it won't work. Make sure not to weld the verts cause it would mess up the smoothing group.

Hope it works, cause I have not tried this with a normal mapped alpha plane and I suspect you are using them, if not it should work fine.

Alex
  • Guriamo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Guriamo polycounter lvl 17
    Just turn on Backface Culling in the object properties...
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    turning on backface culling doesn't work for me. i thought this was always a prob w/alpha sorting in max, and was wondering if it was ever solved.

i can try your quick and dirty way Sage...things may get little bit nasty tho.

thanks for chimin in guys.

anyone else?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If you're using normals on the material its best to duplicated and flip anyway, otherwise one side will get lit incorrectly.

edit: actually anytime you do this it will get lit incorreclty on one side, just with normals its usally more apparent.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    if you're using a directx shader (i may have misunderstood but I think you might be?) the shader will have to be set to draw backfaces (not cull backfaces)

either way EQ+sage are right, better to dupe+flip the geometry manually so the lighting will be nearer to correct.

just my 2p worth. smile.gif