Francisco's WIP

This is some stuff I am working on for portfolio
stool_SUB.jpg
Shot1.jpg
plasmaTV_SUB.jpg
ref.jpg
this is the reference i am using
to set the mood im going for
i know this is just the beginning, feel lfree to critique, i would appreciate it guys, thanks

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Ok good to see you finally putting some stuff up Frank.
    I know it's still early so I wont be too critical.

Ok the bar stool type thing. I can see a lot of wasted polys. Heres a quick paint over.

stoolpaint.jpg

edit*** OH yeah don't worry about a wireframe on your high poly. It could be the ugliest mesh in the world as long as it creates good normals.

Also be careful of 90 degree angles in your high poly model.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks jesse,
    here is another 4.5 hours into it
    check it out!
    i need to bake the AO and NORMAL on the ceiling fans, ill get to it later, im going to bed right now
    Shot2_Day2.jpg
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Per128 is Right Frank, that is some good advice. I try to add more polys to the bottom or top of cylinders...basically where ever they touch another surface because that is where you can really see if its low poly, you can condense and save polys further up the object. Dude, I like the idea and I hope you get it done for your portfolio..I know you can do it as long as you make some executive decisions and dont spend forever making each change everyone and their little sister suggest. But kudo's for putting it up here, people have some great advice here. Later.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Per128, and Judd
    Im on it
    That is right, I never would have realized that about the polies going across on top of the stool and the section A & Bs.
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Hey Frank,

some good feedback thus far. I would recommend sticking close the concept and not adding in 'up scale' things like flat panel tv's, etc. There is going to be more visual interest in a cafe / diner that has story rather than a nicer / newer place.

What is the back story of this piece? Is it still a place people go? Does mankind still exist? Did a murder happen here? Were people eating when suddenly gunfire broke out?

Your other work is looking cool. Keep it up!

-t
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Tyler,

The story behind the scene is that it is going to be after hours, and an irresponsible owner just closed and left in a hurry without prepping the diner for the next day, not even sweeping, or picking some of the dishes at the counter. That is what I have planned. What i was also thinking for the plasma TVs, was to leave them on, but with no signal, so they could be a light source too. I am thinking your suggestion is right though, companies out there want to see that i can follow straight from a concept
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Thats My kind of Diner!

As far as the plasma T's go I know you put some work into them however your backstory only further supports the idea that they don't belong here. The owner is irresponsible and appears to care not for the condition of his establishment. I would expect service here slow or non-existent. In that case, how could the guy even afford those plasma screens?

other than that, the best feedback has already been posted. Well, on that thought, maybe a box full of beads on the bar would be a nice touch. Haha jk man, you know you'll never exscape that bead incident.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ahahahhaaha!

Yeah thanks Art, I will take them out, i just fixed the stool too, I will do more posts tomorrow after school guys, thanks for the feedback once again.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some more recent stuff
    there ya goo
    working on more
    began texturing the chairs, hopefully will get them done tongight, and add more stuff on the counters shot3_day7.jpg
    fans.jpglaugh.gif
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    ok, theres some great advice in here, but I have a couple questions as I'm getting confused (not trying to intrude on your thread man just trying to clear stuff up =))...

my biggest ? is the big main cylinder and how it has too many segments/polys... to make it lower like you did.. you just have that as a separate object right? or did you weld a bunch of verts together where they meet up?
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you talking about the center cylinder with model with my stool? i pretty much welded the verts.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shot4_Day7.jpg
    there ya go, more updates
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    they meet up at the lower bottom of the cylinder, i guess that parts still has a lot of wires, im gonna do one more pass on the stools before i get in to texturing, i am trying to get the modeling down by the end of this holiday weekend so i can move on with the texturing ooo.gif
  • CiscoJavier
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shot7_Day8.jpg
    Shot8_Day8_Props.jpg

this is some high poly bakin action baby!
    with some ao's too of course
    i know i need to go back in there and clean some area like in the stools, and tables there hehe (the top parts)
  • CiscoJavier
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eeeeh
    here is the beginning of the cash register

cashReg_concept.jpg

Shot10_Day10_CashRegister-1.jpgooo.gif
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    The register looks pretty good, but I would re-think it. Your triangle density in those button doesn't really make any sense. You have a 3,000 tri object let's say, and 2,000 of that is in tiny little buttons. If you have a budget for that many, I would just go with regular buttons and make the register itself more detailed / chamfered etc.

That's just my $0.02
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    holy cow... yeah... using that many polys on all those buttons is insane Frank...but then again...that's also my $0.02
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    register brings to mind Brazil. that's a good thing.

just how many polys does each key use, anyhow? I can see why you'd want to keep them, they're cool, but maybe it's possible at a much lower cost?

i like how this is turning out. keep it up!
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    I love the style of everything here, damn fine work. The blend of old and new tech in the same device is just too cool.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    That also looks like too many keys for a cash register. You don't need a full alphanumeric key set. just a set for number entry and then some presets for cyburger, new fries & snapple pie.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok you guys your totally right on that, i spent about 18 tris on each key there, so i am gonna delete em, and make them into buttons. it did look cool though haha
    anyways, ill post up, almost finished with it

By the way, thanks ooo.gif
  • Travytrav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Frankie,
    It's looking really nice, I think you need to decide if this is going to be a heavily visited bar or not, because their wont be as many tables if it is crouded. I really like the register, although depending where your rendering the camera from you wont need to establish the keys as much. If you have seen that movie blade runner and that scene where they go to bar/restaurant, that with some more steampunk influences would make this amazing.
    -Trabieso
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    you can keep the buttons with only 4 triangles
    use alpha planes
    one facing the key, and the other on with to the lil body of the key smile.gif
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

thanks Johny and TravvyTrav,
    Here is an update of the register
    i know it needs cleaning up the red areas and some normal map areas, I will get on it, right now i am concepting the telephone, and the vending machine, i do not know if i should ad a jukebox in there or not, i will decide once i get an overall look of it with the phones and the vendinng machines look ooo.gifShot9_Day14_Props.jpg
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okays, here is more progress so far
    camShot_Progress-3_10-27.jpg
    camShotProgress_10-27.jpg
    camShot-2_Progress_10-27.jpg

crit away if you would like, thanks peeps, so far i have had a lot of good feedback, i appreciate it ooo.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    what johny said about the keys, use alphaed polies to replace them, they are looking so much better than the keyboard thing
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Starting to shape up, it'll look fantastic if you keep this quality throughout it :]
  • gamedev
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gamedev polycounter lvl 12
    Moving at a snails pace Frank! Get a move on!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn Frank you are gonna starve to death before you finish this.
  • roolie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hahahaha, Oh Frank. But yeah it's looking good. I think you should put a plant in there, or something organic.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hahaha yeah i hear ya
    ooo.gif
    this is how far i am as of now, working on more, working on the floor right now, and wil be adding some alpha decals to give the tiling a variety, representing dirt, and spilled sodas n all that good stuff
    still need to texture the tables, chairs, and jukebox, and the clock far to the right near the entrance, and im concepting something organic to throw in there somewhere, i am also thinkin of texturing the jukebox with nothing but handpaintin textures i will make, that way you all can see i can also hand paint my textures confused.gif

colas.jpg
    fridge-rough.jpg
    renderCam1_rough.jpg
    shot-four_rough.jpg
    shot-three_rough.jpg
  • Cody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cody polycounter lvl 15
    Damn nice work. Love the style of the place. Got a nice mood to it, Firefly style. God, what a great show.
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    this is turning out lovely man! i would look into a few different cans, or atleast texutres for that one u have. when there are just 2 sitting on the table, the contrast of there color compared to the grey tones of everything else is making them stand out like the focal point.

also reasearch some more advanced lighting techniques. what u have going now doesnt give the whole room a lit feel, it feels very 3d b/c of the lack of bouncing light.

keep goin homie!
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    this is looking really good ! but why not put it in doom 3 or something ? right now it doesnt seem very game like, it seems lowpoly rendered with highpoly techniques :S
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    I'd say just finish it
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cool.gif
    check these out peeps! gettin real close to the homestretch!
    jejeje

cashReg-Ruff.jpg
    camShot-A.jpg
    PropsPicture.jpg

yuup yuuup!
    sooo.... basically still workin on the cash reg, as u can see
    will get rid of them seams, and finish the alpha'd keys on them, and thanks peeps, you guys were totally right about changing them keys to the old school vintage typeWriter look

and umm, well finishin her up, giving her last touch up details, tweak the lighting alot more, and will be ready real soon!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Taking shape there Frankie. I thought you were dead or something. Finish it up and get a job.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I still have no idea what that back wall / carbonite-green thing is. And those fridge things with the sodas in it need more chamfers on the edges.

I think you are trying to do Jesus-rays off of the ceiling fans, but the cones are so small they just aren't going to work. Make them longer. You also need to add an actual light coming from them, so that the surrounding objects / geometry is actually affected by some sort of light. It looks like you have some light coming off of them in some of your renders, but it just doesn't seem to be affecting much other than the fan itself.

Keep in mind that your excess use of textures and alphas are going to be a much bigger hit than adding some more geometry here and there.
  • MacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MacD polycounter lvl 18
    Heh...somne of this looks like the briefing screen (I think, iirc) from Starcraft. You know, the one with all the monitors off the cnetral trunk? At least, thats the vibe I'm getting. That and some residual Brazil smile.gif
  • CiscoJavier
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    quality work
    i think your environments don't carry the same graphical impact as your concepts do. it does translate well in your low-poly work (like this awesome typewriter). either more detail on the big structures, or check your color/contrast in the textures. no reason why the entire scene shouldn't look as kick ass from a distance like this typewriter does.

also, maybe its time to start tying things together. the stools can have similar decorative like in the typewriter, for example.
  • demoncage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    demoncage polycounter lvl 18
    impressive piece. i like the green, dim atmosphere quite a bit. good luck.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank I know you aint busy so wake up and stop watching tv and eating burritos all day and get this thing done.

You have like 12 kids to take care of man.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
  • Grey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Green...your lighting is green...your lighting is always green. I like the lighting in this piece though..but if you do another test, please dont make the lighting...green.

Its looking good man and I like the heads up display on the cash register with the coke cans!
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    frank is how do you say this? Gay for green.
  • CiscoJavier
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aaah hahahaha

o man i hate you guys