Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[PICS] Website layout

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
adam polycounter lvl 19
I'm changing my site to not be a blog (I can't be bothered to do blog updates) and more of a pure gallery where I can show my work and articles I've written.

You navigate to my URL and this shows:
folio.jpg

The article menu activated:
folio_menu.jpg

If you click on a gallery page link:
[img][/img]folio_scenepage.jpg

And finally, when you click an image to view:
folio_scenepic.jpg

I will do the article page example later tonight I reckon.

The bright green is totally up for change.

Thoughts?

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    I'm really digging it. Sad to see the blog portion go, but the layout is looking great. Great formatting for the thumbnails in particular, their size gives an excellent semi-detailed introduction to the viewer. Doesn't leave anybody in the dark. Colours R Gut. If I can look at Polycount's bleeding green for this long, yours should be fine, even if the site does make me subconciously long for kiwis.
  • ghost-d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ghost-d polycounter lvl 17
    I like the style a lot. And as for the green, I think it´s great color. I like it a lot.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I like the green too. Looks good, but there are a few things that would concern me. I'll mention them and let you decide if it's an issue for you wink.gif

If the user doesn't have the resolution you're expecting, then they won't see your bottom menu bar... unless you're making it dynamic. So, if I have a smaller resolution, I'm not going to realize there is more to navigate to. This is typically why sites end up with the menus on top or to the left.
    Also, I thought your articles menu could use a little more bling to it. At least something to seperate up the topics (even a simple faded line). The other problem with it was that I wasn't immediately drawn to it. Actually, I didn't even notice it until you showed it expanded. Then again, that could just be my crappy attention span wink.gif
    I sense you're trying to keep it simple and fast, so I can understand why you didn't have more details on the menu.

I'd also drop the 'coming soon' boxes until you have something to justify that row. In other words, if you have one more piece to basically start that row, then I would agree with the coming soon boxes to complete the row.

Again, looking cool though. Definitely keep the colors.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    put zee menu at zee top ya
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Lookin great Adam. I'm not much of one for the blog thing, so I like this idea of making your site more to the point.

I agree with what's been mentioned, and I'd like to add that the articles could use an icon behind it similar to what the contact has. As it is it become less noticeable, which would be a shame cause you've got some great articles.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Heh, I just turned my own folio into a blog site tongue.gif I use WordPresses' "Pages" though so I can set up a gallery with ease, it's really great.

Anyway, this design seems to be working well for you. The green does kind of eat my face though, it's too harsh on the black for me.

I'd like to echo hawken--put the menu up top, it's what's expected. And what notman said: ditch the "coming soon" boxes. Takes the viewer's eyes away from your works--they also don't serve any purpose from the viewer's pov.

Cheers.
  • saturnfive
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    saturnfive polycounter lvl 18
    Nice colour scheme. I like the acid yellow a lot.

That said, it is a very strong colour. I just looked at old Mullin's site (goodbrush.com of course) and my first thought was "bugger me it's dark in here" but it really helps his work stand out, which is what his site is about. When I look at your images, my eye is constantly drawn away to the high intensity "bromell" at the bottom left. High intensity colours in graphic design are tricky, you can't fade them to reduce their impact, you can only reduce their size on screen, so I'd suggest making this logo a lot smaller and maybe the border thinner.

btw: I was in whitstable (Kent, UK) last weekend and could see those sea forts from the beach. They've built a huge off -shore windfarm out there now too.