Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another Art Test *Added Flats*

Sayanora
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
It's been awhile since I've pimped anything. Not that I haven't been working on stuff. Sorry fuse, time to steal your thundar laugh.gif

Recently, I was given an art test, challenging me to make the staple fps art asset. A crate! The test required I create 3 progressions of deterioration. Starting from a fairly clean version to a damaged version. I hope I succeeded.

Oh, and sorry for the large images, just wanted to milk the most of out of my work. I've linked the majority of them. This won't happen often smile.gif

Crate_Flats_Damaged.jpg

Crate_Damaged_Large.JPG

http://www.dougkavanagh.net/Crate_Clean_1.JPG

http://www.dougkavanagh.net/Crate_Weathered_1.JPG

http://www.dougkavanagh.net/Crate_Damaged_1.JPG

Replies

• PrayingMantis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's really cool, even If I'm not good I will try to give you some crits.
    I like the first 2 version (clean and weathered) but I think that the last version, the damaged one, is too close to the weathered version, it's not enough damaged for me. I think that you can put more rust and even make some grid being crushed, some bullet impact and so on.

But that's a really good job (at least for me wink.gif)
  • cgjeff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cgjeff polycounter lvl 17
    yea i gotta agree, it looks like clean, weathered, and weathered a little more..

the damaged one should really be banged up somethin fierce. Cut extra geometry in there to make big ol dents, break parts off, a few huge gouges and bullet holes wouldn't go amiss either.

the crate itself looks neat, though i'm very unsure how i'm supposed to open it :P

not a bad job at all. you just need to push that damaged to the point where it looks like it's been through hell.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Agreed with the above, when I think damaged, esp in an FPS setting, I expect it to look like it's really messed-up. Bulletholes, dents, a big scorch mark where rockets and 'nades have hit it, will really make it feel like it's damaged. Overall, good lookin stuff, good luck! smile.gif
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    I like your gashes on the damaged, but like everyone else is saying, it not quite damaged, in fact the gashes look similar to gashes on flesh, where as metal would just chip and whatnot. I uderstand its a rust drip, but you went a tad overboard on the drips, making it look like a flesh wound blood drip.

I dont know if you need to go too overboard making it look damaged, in addition to some simple denting and whatmot, just make it look burned and it`ll stand out from the other 2 easily.

smash up job btw, it looks really good. i dig the 4 pegs thing
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    i agree and would actually say this: make the clean one slightlyCLEANER. like that sucker just rolled off the conveyor belt. little bit more rust and DIRT on the weathered. then treat that thing like it was dropped from 8 stories up. smash a corner...more dents and less gashes. put a blast mark on it like a grenade went off next to it.

super solid. looks good. just push each one twice or three times more than they are now.
  • bounchfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bounchfx mod
    looks awesome man!

but I have to agree, when I hear 'damaged' I'm thinking about to bust open kinda body deformed shit. mess it up a bunch! =)

other than that, looks sweet!
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Nice, the only crit is that they look too similar, very nice though. For the damaged one you could have broken some of the lights have rust, broken parts and more paint peeling off here and there.

Alex
  • buddy the designer
    You'll get the job.
  • Sayanora
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sayanora polycounter lvl 11
    Thanks for all of the feedback guys! Lot of good suggestions here smile.gif

Right now, I'm working on another test, but I'll be sure to come back tot his and refine it some more. I'll take special care of the damaged version and make sure it really gets beat to hell!

Thanks again