Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Samaritan Revolver!

Uly
polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Uly polycounter lvl 15
After getting a 360 and wasting a good 4 months of my life away, I got back to work and finished up an old project.

What I Don't Like about this Piece:
-I should have mirrored the normal map. Didn't know a good method at the time. Will certainly give it a shot next project.
-Realtime Rendering. The thing looked pretty decent inside Source, but I'm still having a hard time getting it to look good inside of Max's viewports. Definately has to do with my lowpoly geometry and normal map.
- It's not made of win.

Hellboy's revolver, The Samaritan. Made the movie version, coz it makes a 'little' more sense that the hilarious, yet awesome comic version. Learned a lot doing this thing, and could spend another week tweaking it, but I'm gonna move on and make something a lot more pretty-like.

samaritan01.jpg

samaritan02.jpg

samaritan05.jpg

samaritan_flats01.jpg

samaritan_flats02.jpg

Many more pictures of the gun, including a 360 Turntable Render on my hilariously shitty website!
www.HappyJames.com

Thanks for any comments and criticism! I like my criticism like my sex, with coffee beans and a sock.
(Oh, and I'll post higher res shots of the texture work soon.)

Replies

• Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Yo James, you already know what I think, but I'll say it again. This is pure sexy. Now get them high res texture flats up! :|
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! I think the metal could use a bit more shine though. A few questions:

How did you go about the smoothing groups on the low? Is it all in 1 smoothing group? Just out of curiosity, how many polygons is the high? In the millions? Can we see flats?

I'm doing something similar with a 1911, so I'm just looking for some pointers smile.gif
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    I like it, especially those textures look nice.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks really nice ! the only problems are the scratches, they look very weird and too acentuated on areas where the surrounding isnt scratched, that makes it a bit weird ehehe..,The difuse could use a bit more color , and the specular a bit more love, take a look at Darkest of day weapons for instance wink.gif
  • soulstice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    soulstice polycounter lvl 9
    That is awesome. I love the texture and lighting!
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I normally don't pay attention to weapon models, but this is really awesome. Nice texture. Great rendering.
  • Quasar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Hey James, the 'volver turned out excellent! I think you did a great job on the handle, I really like the little grooves and cracks in the wood. Here's to another completed project, and hopefully 3dsmax won't get you mangry again (that'll be the day) ;D
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Very nice, but very dull metal.
    SHINY
    SHINY
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Thanks guys, for all the comments.

NeoShroomish:
    Yep. It's all on one smoothing group, though I'm not sure if that's the proper route to take anymore when dealing with a lot of 90 degree angles on a model. When generating the normal map, I ran into a lot of issues that gave me what looked like nasty Per-Vertex lighting. Had to add a few bevels and re-project to get the intended look. High poly is pretty high poly. : ) I'll get the polycount for it later today when I'm at home, and I'll post the full sized texture flats for you too. And yeah... Should be shinier... When deciding on your low poly layout, pay attention to how Pior had his edgeloops set up on his gun for Snake. Some loops may seem redundant, but they're actually necessary for the normal map to project, and behave properly. Lesson learned, though.

Johny:
    Thanks for the crits! You're right about the scratches. Quasar pointed it out to me at one point in time, and all I did was grumble and change them a little bit. Those Darkest of Days weapons are a great example, specially on that rifle that Gauss posted a few days earlier, seeing as the barrel has the same shape. People want it shinier, so yeah, I guess the spec could use some love. I'm gonna spend more time on my next endeavor's spec, seeing as it what gives the piece it's final *pop*. (Specially if the goddamn thing is metal.) Good pointers!

Thanks again to everyone else for the comments and crits!

Quasar:
    You flatter me, Mr. Butt. : ) You and I both know, there's no angry like mangry.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    Awesome, Uly...gotta admit, I'm not a weapon-modeling guy but I was very tempted to do this one when I found Weta's awesome replica pics. Pretty spot on, well done!

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/cgi-bin/category.cgi?category=hellboy_props&item=8911