Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Thief 2 mission: Time Outside of Time

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Lord McMutton polycounter lvl 17
Here's what I'm currently working on in the Thief department. It takes place in a nobleman's residence, which used to be an outpost. Except, the family living there disappeared two years ago. The actual level is darker, but I had to brighten the screenshots so you could actually see them.

The courtyard, still being worked on
dump111.jpg

outer porch area
dump112.jpg

A hallway
dump113.jpg
dump114.jpg

break room, or something like that
dump115.jpg

main atrium
dump116.jpg

another hallway
dump117.jpg

a lounge
dump118.jpg

a gallery
dump119.jpg

a library
dump120.jpg

guest rooms
dump121.jpg
dump122.jpg

another gallery
dump124.jpg

servant quarters
dump125.jpg

I'm going to edit the textures on the objects sometime.

Replies

• Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 15
    Haha You're a brave man for using DromEd. Geo is looking great, seeing what a bitch that editor is.

I'll give some critiques after work, but for the meantime, your lighting & composition could use a lot of work. But it is a great start.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Looking ok so far. What sort of limitations do you have with regards to geometric detail in the Dark Engine?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Erm... layman's terms?
  • Xaltar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaltar polycounter lvl 17
    Looking pretty good but I agree with the lighting and comp comment by Uly. You should also look at making your textures compliment eachother more, like in the shot where you can see the light celing. Try to get your grime and dirt to match each texture in each scene. The last shot looks closer to what I mean than the rest wink.gif Another thing that may help is using your textures to give the illusion of colored light (I don't know that engine but I'm assuming colored light's not supported). Have the planes where the torches are seperate from the rest of the walls and use a copy of the wall texture with either a decal or a painted version with the lighting baked in (painted on to the texture). Just some tricks I used to use modding old games in my early days of modding. Hope this helps.

Oh and the pros can feel free to tell me to shut my stupid mouth and stop talking shit if there are better ways lol.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Erm... layman's terms?

[/ QUOTE ]How many polys do you get to play with?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, concerning the environment, it can have up to 700 polygons rendered without slowing down. The objects can have around 1000 polygons, unless there are a lot. And the AI's can have around 3000. Not exactly sure about those figures, but they're what I've gathered from some threads at a Thief and Dromed forum. Colored lighting is supported, Xaltar.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Was thief 2 really that dark?
    I dont remember it being that dark
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    I'd say you should do more with lighting. Right now everything looks solid, but you need to think more in mood and style. Take:

dump120.jpg

The room's neat, but until I really studied it I wasn't drawn in at all. What about some long patches of light coming from windows behind the camera, or a lit torch in the back left corner, or something? As for your other rooms, consider ways to lay out things in interesting manners -- this is a game where players need to stick to the shadows, so, why not use patches of light and dark to lead and focus them on key points?

Keep it up, anyway. smile.gif
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    Congratulations on the engine choice smile.gif Looks nice.
    Thief2 WAS that dark. And it was awesome.
    There is a Doom3 mod that recreates the Thief series. Have no idea if they are still alive though. "THE DARK MOD" I think it is called. If you want a graphical update of Thief, check it out. Doom3 is old, but still looks nice.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's still going.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've started making the library more interesting.
    dump127.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The master bedroom. If you can't tell, the bed goes into an alcove in the wall.
    dump128.jpg

It has an inglenook fireplace
    dump129.jpg

I can't figure out where I should put a torch in this room. Any ideas?
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a staircase leading to a second floor in the library.
    dump131.jpg

And the second floor
    dump132.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added some reinforcments to the ramparts in the courtyard
    dump134.jpg
  • hawken
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    hawken is likely not familiar with the particular milieu of Thief 2 levels. the brightness seems entirely consistent with the originals.

coincidentally, you're a braver man than i, gunga din. working on a thief 2 level is a labor of love--more power to you smile.gif
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The great hall
    dump136.jpg
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm getting more done outside, but the walls of the building itself seem very boring. Anyone have any suggestions on how to make them more interesting?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There should be some tapestries in the Thief texture library. That sort of thing would be handy for adding some more interest to your bare stone walls. Once you get some real torches in the pools of light and colour should help make things a bit more interesting too. The thing about thief is half the time you're inching along in almost complete darkness anyway, so the wall textures aren't going to be as important.

At this point it might be a good idea to map out your entire level on paper and work out where you want your guards. Once you've got that considered you'll have a better idea of where to place the different types of light sources.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What do you think a garden that hasn't been tended to in two or three years would look like?
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Climbing plants are usually good for showing that kind of thing. Start with some arbours or trellises and then have the wysteria or ivy or whatever plant you like climbing all over everything. Tricky to do with your limited polycount but not impossible. you'll probably have to go with a simple alpha mapped plane, but that should be workable if you're using ivy

Having some plants growing up through cracks in the flagstones would be another probaly easier to achieve way to represent an overgrown garden.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    I'm still confused why "That's how the original maps were" is reason enough to keep your maps uninterestingly too dark?

Just because the original maps were that way doesn't mean you shouldn't improve on the basic concepts of design, especially if you are modding them. The entire idea is to take the original concept and make them better, new, or different.

Sticking to the same boring dark motif only makes me think you have no interest in doing any of the above. Lighting can make a world of difference on an otherwise uninteresting environment...which in my opinion this currently is.

Small Example 1
    Small Example 2
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The darkness in Thief is intrinsic to the gameplay. A lot of the game is based around extinguishing torches (which I'm assuming Banana just hasn't gotten around to adding yet) and then sneaking past guards or knocking them out cold.
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    No, I've added the torches. They just don't have flames, since it's a haunted place.
    dump051.jpg
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    hey man, first of all, it's looking pretty good, and it's pretty cool how much work you've got done on it. keep going, I'm sure it's going to be great smile.gif. props for doing a thief level btw, i loved that series. also cool idea for a location.

as far as the lighting thing goes

[ QUOTE ]
    The darkness in Thief is intrinsic to the gameplay. A lot of the game is based around extinguishing torches (which I'm assuming Banana just hasn't gotten around to adding yet) and then sneaking past guards or knocking them out cold.

[/ QUOTE ]

heh this is only fun when there is light to avoid. dark only exists as a contrast to light. lighting like this will only make the game play non-existent. not only that, but it completely flattens out the shots and removes ALL sense of interest. there's nothing in any of these shots that my eyes are drawn towards... which is a shame when i'm supposed to be running around stealing shit.

oh, and thief was not lit like this:
    http://www.student.tue.nl/p/f.a.m.smeijers/sfp/pic/thief2ss1.png
    http://www.justadventure.com/reviews/Thief/thief2a.jpg
    http://newdigitalreporter.net/gallery/ma..._serialNumber=1

contrast is the only thing that makes things interesting. as far as i can tell, it's how our mind works...
  • Jacus0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacus0 polycounter lvl 17
    Im giving you a thumbs up and a High five for just do something related to the Thief series.....your ok in my book!! grin.gif
  • Lord McMutton
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    More stuff.

Updated courtyard
    dump139.jpg

Main gate
    dump140.jpg

Garden
    dump141.jpg

Cellar
    dump142.jpg
    dump143.jpg

Some Silent Hill
    (their are barbed wire fences in this room, but the wire is too thin to see right now)
    dump144.jpg
    dump145.jpg

About the lighting, since the mission is so dark, I have to brighten the pictures, which makes the light not look as good.
  • Ryusei Baku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Typical of you, you do everything else right, but spell they're wrong :P.

Great job anyways, tell me when you make progress and lemme' play your mission. By the way, don't forget Captain Falcon.
  • JDinges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JDinges polycounter lvl 18
    Typical of you, you do everything else right, but spell they're wrong :P.

Now that's irony.

"there"
  • Polynurb
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polynurb polycounter lvl 15
    To me I think it would add depth to the rooms if there was some kind of light/dark contrast between forms or walls and ceilings. Something kind of like a faked occlusion painted in to give forms depth and a feeling of scale. Right now the walls and floors just seem to all blend right in with one another.
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Funny to see Dromed pics posted here at polycount.

The mission is looking good so far Marshall. I do think you need more lighting though that actually casts shadows and shines on stuff more, that adds alot of depth and contrast which seems to be missing in those screenies IMO.

A little info for those not too familiar with Dromed to answer some questions I saw.

Darkness: Dromed's ambient light levels can be changed on a per mission basis. You can have bright sunlight or pitch black, although pitch black is pretty much known as a nono becuase you can't feel you way around a mission, you need some visuals no matter what.

So it does really vary alot between Fan Missions and Original Missions. Some of both are very dark or very bright.

Polycount, max polycount in view for world terrain is 1024. Above that things will start to not be rendered and/or crash.

I have gotten objects up to about 5,000 polys in Dromed, but the conversion tools can be fussy at that point, even before that. If you don't build clean 'hulls' but use floating polys then the conversion tool basically does booleen type cutting and polycount skyrockets.

Once you get somewhere around 20,000 object polys on screen you'll probably crash. There is a limit of 125 objects on screen at once, then crash.

Darkmod

Yep, Darkmod is still alive and going strong. Mostly programming touch-ups and stuff right now. Ai fixes etc...

The main page is down at the moment for some reason but the forums are still working fine.

We released a playable demo (very small and not perfect by any means) a few months ago. But it's a good way to see the progress that had been made to that point and it is pretty fun. Alot has been done since.

Doom 3 is getting old but a huge improvement over Dromed. We are also pushing the polycounts, etc... from Doom so there will be more detail in Darkmod FM's than there was in Doom3.

Also, the Dark Radiant editor has had many improvements made to it from the Doom 3 editor, so it's easier to use and has alot more functions.