Home General Discussion

Lighting examples from Resistance: Fall of Man

Eric Gooch recently posted examples of his level lighting work on Resistance: Fall of Man.

http://www.cybergooch.com/tutorials/pages/lighting_rfom1.htm

I like the presentation, rollovers. The lighting is too monochromatic for my taste, but nonetheless it's fun to look at. Haven't read all the text yet, looking forward to it later, might be some good process info.

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Cool rollovers. While working QA, I've seen this process go very slowly. It's annoying to see unlit levels, but then great lighting makes a huge improvement. I wasn't sure if many game companies hired artists specifically for lighting, thinking it was the Level Designerss job. But how many level artists study photography?
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    The lighting is too flat, imo. Particularly in the night scenes, there is too much ambient and very few darker areas. Very little variation in color either. Still, educational nonetheless.

We don't have people specifically designated at lighting artists, but do have some folks that are much better at it. A lot of time our artists will throw in some temporary lighting to get a feel for the level, but then one of the lighting gurus will do a second pass on it, adding final lighting and effects. Sometimes the first pass lighting is just slightly altered, other times all of the temp lights are totally deleted and the scene is re-lit. The final lighting artists ensure consistency and quality.

As far as studying photography, I most definitely do it. I shoot a lot of reference and textures myself, but also do a lot of research using other people's stuff. Flickr is our friend here at work. As with most art, reference is vital. Both for level layout, model design, texturing, and lighting, having good reference can drastically improve the quality of your work. We've got a pretty substantial reference library that is organized by theme on our server, and we are adding to it all of the time.
  • Mark Dygert
    [ QUOTE ]
    The lighting is too flat, imo. Particularly in the night scenes, there is too much ambient and very few darker areas. Very little variation in color either. Still, educational nonetheless.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Agreed.

I like the pixar idea that if you laid out final screen shots of your story boards, the color in the scene should reflect what is going on in the story. The color/lighting story they are telling with RFM is "its teh next gen babiez all brownz all teh timez!". I don't mean to crap on all of his work. Some of it really well done and I'm sure there where requirements placed on him as well, but really could you use another color besides overbright yellow?

Ryno, the over abundance of ambient light is something they push hard for in console games. Screen glare, bad picture quality and customers who complain about games being too dark are all issues that suck away those dark nooks and crannies.
  • ebagg
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Is it just me or is there a good sense of Ratchet and Clank within these maps? Great stuff though, some day I will play that game when I get a PS3.
  • Ryno
    Offline / Send Message
    Ryno polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah Vig, I can see the point to that. A lot of people have crappy or badly calibrated monitors/TVs, and you definitely need to account for that. Avoiding dark darks makes sense, but I'd still like to see some more variation and areas that are at least a bit dim.
  • arshlevon
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18

yeah its actually great we have a dedicated lighting team now, all the guys come from studio lighting backgrounds or film, it really shows on ratchet, the bad thing about the resistance lighting info is that our tech was in its infancy at the time and it really doesn't show off what we can do now. but gooch knows his shit, and its still an interesting read.
    if you want to get a better idea of these concepts applied to more finalised pipe look at the ratchet screens, the difference is night and day, no pun intended.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Color choices aside, it looks like you guys are using a normalmap-style lightmap (page4) so that the bump normalmaps appear to get directional lighting from the lightmap.

It's like the bump maps are being illuminated by lightmaps, it isn't just an emissive-style flat lightmap only applied to diffuse, instead you're also modulating the lightmap with the bumpmaps. Pretty cool technique.
  • Mark Dygert
    [ QUOTE ]
    if you want to get a better idea of these concepts applied to more finalised pipe look at the ratchet screens, the difference is night and day, no pun intended.

[/ QUOTE ]
    wow, no kidding