Home General Discussion

Video Tutorial: Modeling a Lowpoly Character

Jonathan Williamson
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Jonathan Williamson polycounter lvl 18
Hello everyone,

In anticipation of my upcoming DVD on modeling the female body, I have released a free video tutorial on modeling a lowpoly character in Blender. The tutorial focuses on all the necessary aspects of lowpoly modeling to make the viewer comfortable enough in the process to begin creating their own characters.
Several of the topics covered in the tutorials are: edgeloops, triangles, deformation, and more.

The tutorial has a running time of approximately 50 mins and a resolution of 1024 x 768. The file size is 191 megabytes. Several screenshots from the tutorial have been attached below as a preview

Please visit http://www.montagestudio.org/Site/Tutorials.html for the download link.

lowpoly-screen1-1.jpg
lowpoly-screen2-1.jpg
lowpoly-screen3-1.jpg
lowpoly-screen4-1.jpg

Enjoy!

Replies

• Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Curious, is there market for DVD tutorials in blender? I applaud anyone who spends time to provide video tutorials to help pass on their knowledge, but (No offence intended) Blender is not exactly the type of program one spends money on.

As for the video, it's pretty straighteford, I don't have any real comments-- except, the phrase is 'et cetera', not ek wink.gif

[edit] Just to be clear, I also have all kinds of respect for people who (attempt to) learn that 'godawful trainwreck of programming and design'*

* Disclaimer: This phrase has been cleared by my lawyers (irc acquaintances actually, but they're vaguely impartial) as a factual description of said program and thus cannot be construed as slander [/edit]
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I have Blender on my Ubuntu laptop, I don't know why, so I'll watch these videos and give it a try soon. Tho the last half dozens attempts over the past several years have failed. The programming is good, but the GUI design.. frown.gif And don't tell me to learn the hotkeys. I have better apps for that sort of thinking.

I watched a few minutes of the eye video, and it's good.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for turning it into a blender=trash excuse thread guys, keep it coming i appreciate it
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    thanks for turning it into a blender=trash excuse thread guys, keep it coming i appreciate it

[/ QUOTE ]

Humorous reference to Blender's ah... 'design'... aside, my post was intended entirely without sarcasm. Lets not turn Blender into the mistreated minority whose failings we can't even talk about or depict as slavering zombies fit only to be shotgunned into third-world dirt in the latest AAA title. Please-- because I really want to see that game.

Jonathan Williamson: Again, thumbup.gif on the tutorials. I've skimmed some of the others on your site and can say they get across your points rather well.
  • Jonathan Williamson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonathan Williamson polycounter lvl 18
    Heh no worries about the "blender bashing" guys, everyone has their preferences, just seems there're more people here who have yet to come to the light... nah just kidding, it's all up to the user smile.gif
    Asthane wrote:
    Curious, is there market for DVD tutorials in blender? I applaud anyone who spends time to provide video tutorials to help pass on their knowledge, but (No offence intended) Blender is not exactly the type of program one spends money on.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Actually there is. Myself and one other guy are the first two to release training dvds for Blender, and I don't know about his in terms of success since he did it through another company, but mine have been a huge success so far.

If any of you have questions or anything regarding blender or any of my tutorials feel free to contact me via the info on my website.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    wow, I should make a blender training dvd, I'd be rich!
  • Eric Williams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric Williams polycounter lvl 16
    Good tutorial, good technique.

If you can't emulate what you see with your main software, cut, stretch, or rotate. Then you're pre beginner and are still learning your layout and shortcuts.

I don't care if the tutorial is for Houdini for $8,000 or Blender for free, if it's got good technique then I'll probably check it out.

Eld, if you don't know blender, good luck. Maybe Jonathan will write you some basic tutorials to get you Started. wink.gif Step one before step three, you know.. Step three profit.

[ QUOTE ]
    Blender is not exactly the type of program one spends money on.

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting the way you word that, Asthane...If you use Blender then more money for full DvD courseware I guess.

ps sorry for the 2 month bump.