Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

flash website

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
hawken polycounter lvl 19
my latest project!

[link removed]
http://www.salonbtq.com/index_070812.html

They get me to do a website every season, kind troublesome client, but enjoy making strange stuff for them

Replies

• Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    love the animated models page, that's fresh or i haven't seen anything like it before. attractive yet creepy.

the site looks nice, i like the general pastel scheme and tight color scheme you went with. it looks great on my mac of course.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    i was dissapointed when I clicked on 'BOOTIE Whirlwind!' but I guess thats not your fault tongue.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah sorry the link changed because the client isn't yet ready to go live... that blog page is not made by me, the animated models one is, but about 6 months ago.

above is not what I intended to show, sorry.

Here is the correct link!!

http://www.salonbtq.com/index_070812.html
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Thank god... I thought you had higher standards than that Blog design wink.gif

Several thoughts/complaints though. Everything is off center for me. The page was bigger than my resolution (1280x1024). So, I had to scroll over to see the site.
    Second, when viewing a collection, it was hard to see the symbol to return to the menu... at least for the few I viewed.
    The final thing was when viewing the collections with the pushpins. When I take a picture off, it falls to the ground (by design), but there was no way to get it back other than to the menu and return.
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    pretty sweet, I like
  • rube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rube polycounter lvl 17
    the site looks cool but why is it way over on the right?
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    *See my comment about centering wink.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    can you guys let me know what browsers you're using?

I'm centering with CSS

The flash movie is 990*600 so should be visible.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    gorgeous. you have great taste, as always. awesome stuff Hawken!

i'm using firefox (latest version) and it looks fine.
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Neat effects smile.gif As the pictures are sprayed across, they kind of linger too long. Do I really have to wait to click on them until they've come to a COMPLETE stop? frown.gif Perhaps just make them stop faster?

I also disagree with your "return" button, it's especially difficult to see in photo #1, the leaf kind of hides it. Before I found it I fumbled around till my mouse detected a link, which is bad. It's also not obvious that I have to click it to return. A dropshadow or glow to highlight/contrast it would be ideal.

Everything else is great! Keep it up smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm viewing in IE7. I know IE is a bit more pissy about CSS, but unfortunately they still dominate most of the market wink.gif

btw, I forgot to add that I do like what you've done. It looks good overall, minus the minor things I referenced earlier. I'd also agree to the slow slide in of the images.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah might be the doc type... will see to it tomorrow. thanks!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Neat effects smile.gif As the pictures are sprayed across, they kind of linger too long. Do I really have to wait to click on them until they've come to a COMPLETE stop? frown.gif Perhaps just make them stop faster?

I also disagree with your "return" button, it's especially difficult to see in photo #1, the leaf kind of hides it. Before I found it I fumbled around till my mouse detected a link, which is bad. It's also not obvious that I have to click it to return. A dropshadow or glow to highlight/contrast it would be ideal.

Everything else is great! Keep it up smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

thanks for the feedback.

I must say that at this point I understand there are a few user interface problems. However, initially I gave the client a more logical website and they rejected it. They seem to love quirkiness, and wanted something unique. You can see the other one for yourself here: http://www.hawkenking.com/client/salon/

As it stands I won't be making it any more friendly to use, although I do understand where you are coming from. The back button glows a bit. The back button is in a logical place and people go for it instinctively. The main menu is something else entirely. I am controlling everything by code, there is no timeline... so I have to wait for the photos to slide into place with a bit of code checking them, once they stop moving it applies the buttons to be clicked on. Having the buttons live while they were moving caused all sorts of nightmares, way above my actionscript knowledge. I'm surprised I got it this far.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn, I like your original design better. I feel for ya though... I've had a client like that also. BTW, that link shows up centered/correct in IE wink.gif
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    hawken, I really like your first shot at the design, but sadly I understand the process. Considering the reqs, well done smile.gif

Quick note though: I don't think of using the back button on flash sites because they usually send me back to the beginning of the animation (ie home page of the site). Then again, I only do html/css mostly, I'm just running off of old experiences. Too old I guess frown.gif

Cheers