Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

vTools: Scripts for Photoshop

HarlequiN
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
HarlequiN polycounter lvl 18
vTools: Scripts for Photoshop

A set of scripts I've knocked up over the last year. My employers have agreed that the scripts belong to me, and not the company I work for as I wrote them on my own time, so even though I wrote many of them to help me at work I can now release them to be of help to you... whenever.

The scripts include:

vSavePSDTGA - a script designed to facilitate the saving of a PSD source image and a TGA output image at the same time. Over the last year it's grown to do quite a bit more than that - I find it indespensable at work.

vPlasma - not the most useful script 99% of the time, but if you really need a semi random effect, al-la the clouds filter, but in colour, this should give you a lot of options.

vUVWHelper - Creates one of those natty UVW helper grid with some variables (images sze, grid size). I use this one a lot.

vHexMagnet - Makes semi random hexagonal grids, but woth real hexagons, and distorted hexagons that can tile outside the bounds of a square (Real hexagons do not make for good game ready tiling textures)

Comments are appreciated, but I guess this is less of a pimp and preview than it is just something you might find useful.

UPDATE: CS3 versions of the scripts now available. I'll be discontinuing CS2 support in almost all cases now as ballencing the differences between the two versions could get ugly.

Replies

• Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, the first one'll alone be worth the err, price of admittance. The other ones will have to prove themselves, but i'm more than willing to give them a go. Cheers for these, Harl. Nice of the company to allow you to post this.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    why thank you.
  • roolie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    its saying it cant find the java script plug in. am i supposed to have something elso besides vtools?
  • hessi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    could you upload a zipped version? i am working on a macintosh and i am too lazy to install emulation to run a windows EXE frown.gif
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hessi - I will later tonight, but understand that the tools weren't writted with mac's in mind. In theory they'll work, but they've never been tested on a Mac, and certain things deffinately won't work (I'm pretty sure Mac's won't accept windows .Bat files - which would kill CMD functionality for example).

roolie - which version of Photoshop are you running? CS2 and above should include the plugin at installation.
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    Cheers Harl...very useful.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Added a zip in addition to the exe.
  • hessi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i just tried to make some modifications on this shell script thing, but it seems like Extendscript is not capable of either running a chmod on a file or of running an existing shellscript with a parameter to apply chmod by a shellscript on a file.

thanks anyway for sharing smile.gif
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the sound of the plasma one, downloading smile.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Dang, I was about to try writing something like that, in my attempt to make something while learning C#, so it's cool that now I can see what you did to make this work smile.gif I was hoping to have a utility that will communicate with Photoshop, save out files and run some actions. It would be a windows app with simple interface. What I'd like it to do is to save out layer sets as Targas (or other format) so that when I click a button, it will hide all but layer set COLOR and save it out, then hide all but SPEC and save it, and do the same for NORMAL and/or other layer sets, and the saved files would have the PSD document name and suffix _LayerSetName, because when working on textures that's the most redundant task - just saving out different textures and going through all the dialogs, yikes. It would also be cool to have an input box where I can specify if I need 24 or 32 bit and to specify the saved image size, or if saved files need to go into different folder. So I hope I can make this sometime.

Anyways, this is very cool and useful, thanks for sharing!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    thank you! this could be quite handy
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hessi - I have no idea what you just said man smile.gif I'm assuming you tried to get the CMD aspect of the TGA script working for the Mac and failed? If so then that kinda sucks. We just use PC's at work, and I use one here at home, so it's not that I have anything agains Mac's, I just have no access to one. The PC solution was pretty round about, and I assume if there is a way to do it for Mac it will be equally wacked.

fogmann - yep, that's pretty much word for word what the SavePSDTGA script does. the functions for making the actual things happen are actually fairly simple - the tricky part *more long winded than tricky) is the handling of all the preference information, since it comes from 2 locations and has to be sorted based on precidence while keeping all of them available for access at any time. There are still somethings I may add to it though. Every time I think "ah, it's done" I'll come up with something else it can potentially do wink.gif

Anyway, thanks for checking it out - feel free to pass it around (the whole thing, not just one script) if you feel it might benefit other people.
  • Flewda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Flewda polycounter lvl 17
    James, these scripts are spectacular. Every day I texture at the office, I think about how miserable my experience would be without that script wink.gif

Thanks again buddy.

Josh
  • coldwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coldwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Just wanted to say thanks! smile.gif These are very useful scripts, I really appreciate the time and effort you spent making them.
  • diminished_Self
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diminished_Self polycounter lvl 12
    hmmm....vTools huh? as in Volition vTools? ive those before, but for max. thanks for the release! havent tried them at the office yet, where i have CS2, but at home i cant get them to work with CS3. where is the interface supposed to come up? in the filters section?
  • East
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    East polycounter lvl 14
    You should find them under File> Scripts.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    - "vTools are now accessable from the File/Scripts menu"
    - "vTools were Designed for, Created and Tested in Photoshop CS2 running on a Windows platform. The scripts may work on other platforms, or in CS3, but this is by no means certain."
    smile.gif

And these are nothing to do with Volition, other than that I work there (part of the stipulation for releasing them was that I made no claim that Volition or THQ endorsed or supported these scripts, although a lot of the artists there use them). I kept the 'v' as it means all the scripts end up in the scripts menu in the same place, and I'm just used to looking for it in a list...

Diminished' - Just occured to me you work for StreamLine, that explains why you know of vTools for Max. Neat. smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    These scripts are awesome, Harl, thanks very much for releasing them. Huge time saver smile.gif

Couple of things I might modify to the script myself (doesn't look too complicated) - an option when saving TGAs, to suffix the appended layer set name with a _ (your default settings only seem to allow using a _ when only using the initial of the layer set name). Minor thing smile.gif

Also, it seems like the script automatically saves the TGAs with RLE compression, which I can't see an option to disable or change anywhere. It also seems to enable the "RLE compression" checkbox by default when just saving a regular TGA from any other file after using the script. This is something I'd like to avoid - any idea on how I could change that within the script, or maybe add an option for it?

Again though, many thanks for posting these. smile.gif
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
  • zOffTy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zOffTy polycounter lvl 16
    excelent cool.gif
    thanks!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Ah, I fixed up the SavePSDTGA script tonight for my needs, so that it defaults to not using RLE compression. Simple one-line change with TargaSaveOptions.

Something else I noticed is that if you tell it to save only marked channels with alpha, it still gives all other outputted sets a blank white alpha channel, when I'd expect it to save those as 24-bit and only use 32-bit for the ones it finds marked. I might have a look at that to see if I can get it working, unless that was something you wanted to do (or if I'm just not using it correctly, do tell!) smile.gif

Do you mind if I hack this script around a bit to pare it down to the settings I use the most? At the moment there's a lot of stuff in there which I would never use.

Anyways, many thanks again for releasing all of this, I love it smile.gif
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mop - yeah, I can add an option to alter that RLE setting (and change it to automagically change back after using it so your standard TGA settings aren't affected) - never occured to me to add it previously.

If it's saving out at 32 bit on sets it's not supposed to then it's either a bug, or something you'e doing - I'll take a look after dinner to verify which it is, and if it's your doing how it's occuring wink.gif

You can hack it up all you want MoP smile.gif But when I release the next one you might have to hack it a bit more if I add something you want to use - Personally I only use about 50% of the options on a day to day basis, but there are times when it's like "Oh, yeah, I can do that too", so you might not want to be overly hasty about striping things out - they don't slow it down notably, but do clog up the interface a bit I admit.

/EDIT - so I did some poking around, and the alpha issue was entirely my fault. I'd made an assumption when I last added some Alpha functionality in there and the assumption was wholly incorrect - but since I was testing the new features for problems and not the old ones I didn't notice the result. Stupid of me. I fixed it, and added a compression checkbox while I was at it so you can turn that on and off as well as making some small tweaks to some of the other scripts and adding a new one (not much use to 99% of people I suspect). I'll try to get them up tomorrow if I can (too tired right now), but I make no promises.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, thanks mate smile.gif
  • Millah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Millah polycounter lvl 18
    vSavePSDTGA has saved me sooooo much time. If you're reading this and you haven't already downloaded it, you should do so at once.

-Justin
  • AstroZombie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AstroZombie polycounter lvl 18
    vSavePSDTGA rocks balls. Thanks, Harl.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, put the latest version up with those fixes (use the same link).

Sorry for the delay - turned out my fix for one problem caused another, so I fixed that too - plus a minor issue I hadn't noticed before but did while trying to figure this out smile.gif Any more problems, let me know.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Great, cheers! smile.gif
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Very cool - thanks Harlequin smile.gif

Are you still at Volition?
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aye Pig, that I am. smile.gif
  • xysdf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    xysdf polycounter lvl 11
    thanks HarlequiN smile.gif!
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a ton, Harl! I haven't tried them out yet, but if their descriptions are anything to go on, they'll be a great help.

Cheers! smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hey Harl, I noticed today that the alpha channel saving option still has a bug - if you use the option to "save marked alpha channels" then it will save an alpha channel into every TGA outputted.

For example, I have two marked layer sets, ~_d and ~_local ... I have one alpha channel called _d (I assume this is the correct name by reading the Help files), but when I save using the script, it adds the _d alpha channel to both the filename_d.tga and filename_local.tga

Ideally it'd just save it into the marked set and not the other one too.

Also, when I choose this option, whenever it saves a file I get a dialog popup saying "TEST 1:3" - I found that line in the script so I can disable it, but I can't figure out how to get the alpha saving working correctly.
    Any ideas?

Cheers,
    -MoP
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Try grabbing the latest - if it still does it then let me know and I'll take another look.

By "latest" I mean grab whichever version matches your version of Photoshop, rather than grab the new CS3 versions if you're running CS2. smile.gif

I know for sure I fixed the TEST 1:3 line, not so sure about the alpha thing, and I don't have time to check it until tonight, by which time you'll have verified it yourself smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Weird, I downloaded the latest ones for CS2 and tried them just before I wrote that post, and it was still doing the TEST 1:3 thing, maybe my browser still had it in cache for some reason, or the link on your site is to an older version by accident?

Edit: Just checked again on a different computer and got the vTools_1-1.zip from your site, the vSavePSDTGA.jsx definitely has this line in it:
    alert("TEST 1: "+chanlength);

Which I assume brings up the TEST 1:3 dialog. Maybe you uploaded the wrong version?
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That's entirely possible. I'll look into getting the right one up for you tomorrow. Sorry MoP.
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK, page is updated with the latest versions. The "test" issue was already fixed it seems, but I was linking to the wrong zip. The other issue was indeed still a problem, so I've now fixed it (hopefully - it worked OK for me).

Keep me posted on how it goes MoP. I'm not doing any more updates for CS2 now, unless there's a specific glitch that needs fixing - so if you find one let me know.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Brilliant, works perfectly, thanks mate! smile.gif
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Works like a dream! Thanks so much--you've just saved me at least a years worth of my life :)
  • Seirei
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NecromancerCover_Springborg.jpg
    Well thanks for digging this out tremulant! Would be a shame to miss that one. :D
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Hahaha. Didn't want the guys hard work to go to waste! Wow, I am dying over here from this picture, hahahh.
  • poopsterspappy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopsterspappy polycounter lvl 7
    All I got to say is YOU DA MAN. Thank Ya!!
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Necro bump!

Does anyone have this tools? As the website is down.
    Sorry/Thanks!
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Ha ! I'll join in on the necro. I actually use that tool a lot, and since I never needed any of the options offered by the other similar tools I just stuck to this one. Pedro : I do have the files, and can send them to you if you wish.

However I wonder if anyone knows if the files are actually hosted somewhere by the original author. I would like to point people to this tool in a video tutorial but cannot really do so if it just isn't available anywhere. (and I wouldn't feel confortable hosting the file for people to download either, since there is probably a reason behind the fact that the author turned off his website ...)

Harl ! Help !
  • s6
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    s6 polycounter lvl 10
    I'm unsure as to why the tool isn't available from the author anymore, but I went looking for it the other day as well to re install it with no luck. Thankfully I had it backed up. It may have something to do with the tool being as old as it is.

Here is a download link for those interested. I can't promise it will be there forever, but I doubt I'll be deleting it anytime soon. (needless to say, if a link to the original author turns up I'll replace this link with one directing to his site)

*link removed, look below*
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I just discovered the old site was down recently. I've thrown a zip of the tools up on Dropbox, which is free and seemingly stable for the foreseeable future. No nice page to go with them now though, and the old documentation went bye bye in a hard drive crash.

You can snag them from https://db.tt/tZzPSBp1

You can also snag the brushes I've been using for years for texturing and painting from https://db.tt/Zpmz2Voo

Hope that helps!
  • HarlequiN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh, and also, as far as I'm concerned these are all public domain - I made them to help at work, but they were made on my own time and machine, and work got the benefit.

The reason I've not supported them for a long time is because work thought it was a good idea, and rolled their own proprietary version (better integration with the other tools that way).

I didn't realise it was so popular, or I might have kept on it :)

Glad it's of use. I'll try and ensure it remains available, but if someone wants to expand it or do their own version I'm more than happy for you to take chunks of my (amateur and outdated) code, or if you want to host it somewhere, have at it. A credit would be nice if you do though - ego likes stroking on occasion ;)
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck yeah!
    Thanks HarlequiN and S6 :)

Still works like a charm!
  • realm13
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I still can't get the save alpha to work.
    When I select "Associated with marked sets" option. It just saves alpha with every map because only marked sets get saved.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Update : I went through a system re-install today and was meaning to re-install vTools ... only to realize that even though the main tga saving script (vSavePSDTGA.jsx) is indeed included in the zip linked above, the shortcut script (quicksave) seems to be missing. Harl, would there be a chance to have it included in the package ?

Thanks !
  • Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    Someone can tell me how to proper set this script? I used it alot in past, but I moved to QSM when I re-install my system and lost script files. Now I found that and I want to use it again.

I believe I had to set something in Keyboard Shortcuts ... but I don't know what exactly should I do. Help :<

pior
    I think you have right, there missing something.