Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Please help to PIMP my WIP

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Jalechah polycounter lvl 17
hey i know i dont post here all that often by i do look around here often and the stuff i see is amazing.
Anyway, i need help with making my model better, iv only really worked a bit on the face but it still needs alot of attention to other areas but im not sure how to handle it.
basemodelupdate1.jpg
basemodelupdate2.jpg

Replies

• notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Are you using a reference? There are some proportion issues in the body that need to be worked out. It becomes really obvious in the side profile. The chest is really short and the torso really long. He has no butt. And the crotch needs some lovin wink.gif
  • gavku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gavku polycounter lvl 18
    anatmoyturnaroundxx8.jpg
    Shot at 2007-08-10

Definitely need reference.....
    Gauss posted some anatomy turnarounds not too long ago
  • Jalechah
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jalechah polycounter lvl 17
    yeh you were right, i wasnt using a reference. thanx for the pics, im still trying to maintain the same pose to help with the rigging that i'll be doing later, but heres some progress on the model, let me know if theres anything that looks out of place or what ever.
    side_fix.jpgfront_fix.jpg
  • Archanex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Archanex polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have a concept you're working from or are you just doing this out of your head? It's somewhat difficult to give crits if we don't know what you're trying to achieve.

I see you modified the profile silhouette a bit, but other than that it doesn't really look like you changed much. I'd say just take the advice that's been given and keep going

notman mentioned that the croch needs some lovin- he's right

Right now you have what looks like 6 edges coming to a pole on his crotch - If you ever tried to rig this character you'd see why this is a very bad idea. What you should do instead is have a horizontal plane (or two, 1 for each leg) that goes between the legs. Try to make your edges form a pair of whitey tighties on your character.

I think the best advice I can give you is to just study topologies of models that you think are good. a quick google search turned up this guy...

maleBody8.jpg87b7ba1a-15c1-4717-a8a3-dda756d7597aLarge.jpg

Note that I'm not saying this is the end all be all topology, but I certainly think it's a good place to start

Ben Mathis has a lot of great tutorials on his site as well

anyway, I hope this helps..