Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Demon

Character I'm working on that is budgeted at 1200 polygons. Body is normal mapped. Wings are wip being normal mapped.
Not yet diffuse(RGB color) mapped.

Texture size: 512^2

Here's the concept:
dconcept.jpg

Wireframe:
dwireframe.jpg

WIP Render:
drender.jpg

Any suggestions or critiques would be appreciated.

Replies

• BeatKitano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeatKitano polycounter lvl 16
    Your normals look flipped.
  • Brenden Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The wings were, I don't think the body is though.

Better?

drendernew2.jpg
  • Thurban
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You've got a good thing going here. But if you are going to do a normal map, go back and really add in a lot more detail, define the muscle mass and facial features more. I would take a look at some other characters on the polycount boards or do a google image search for anatomy to help in the process. And as it stands the wings wouldn't let him fly, the support structure in them isn't there. Take a look at a bat's wing. That basically looks like a hand with the fings spread out and webbed in between. From what the wireframe shows, you shouldn't have to change anything to the body except maybe a little redesign on the wings, and the rest you can pull off in the normal map and texture. You're very close to something great, just push at it and it will come.

I took one last look at the wireframe, you might want to think about adding in just a little bit more facial structure, at the least a simple nose and brow. That plus the normal map would really make it pop. And kudos to you for doin a character with hair. It can be a tricky thing to go about at first, that's why you see so many baldies smile.gif
  • Brenden Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks a lot for the critiques. The wing structure isn't meant to fly. as you see in the concept, they are more meant to catch wind so that he can take huge jumps with way less impact.

I would add more zbrush detail but since this is for a class I'm limited to a 512^2 map. I'll definately take the facial structure crit so that its not completely flat from a side view. If all is good after that, I'll begin texturing.

Also, Question. Can someone tell me why my high quality rendering viewport gives off this skewed look in maya? I'm usually a 3ds max user so some of these things are odd to me. Additionally, is there a skylight (light tracer) or advanced lighting equivalent in maya? bad.jpg
  • Brenden Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Textured Version
    render.jpg
  • RedLemonsRR
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice base, skin that sucker and give him a cool pose!