Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Ken Masters: Redux

cyi
cyi
polygon
Offline / Send Message
cyi polygon
OK, so I did a normal mapped KM for the StreetFighter challenge awhile back, but it sucked. I saw Pierre Bourgeot's Ryu and was inspired to make another go at it. Yes, it's slightly derivative. I don't mind all that much, although I may make a gi for him to wear to differentiate it. I don't really want to cover up the anatomy, though. What do you think? Also, maya crashes every time i try to soften normals on the pants, so they look a little strange. Comments/Crit are welcome! Thanks!!! Oh, I forgot to mention this was started w/ arshlevon's base mesh.

ken_revolve3.jpg

Replies

• Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    I think the face is vaguely asian looking and doesn't really remind me of any of the different versions of Ken. His torso also seems dwarfed by the size of his arms and lower body.

On the bright side, the musculature definition and cloth looks good, and I especially like the chunky gloves. I think Third Strike has the coolest character designs of the series, so I would recommend checking out that concept art.
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    His crotch looks far too long. You have his pants riding low underneath his belly button, and then the pants go on for a fair bit after that. It is more noticeable at the back with the arse which looks saggy, which just doesn't match the rest of his physique.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Keep GOING! This is looking cool.
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    Slainean: Thanks for the crit, I'm probably going to go back and refine his face some more, so I'll keep what you said in mind.

thnom: Fixed his pants smile.gif

Josh: Thanks dude!

Fixed some pants issues. Feet are still somewhat WIP. Working on the belt right now...
    ken_revolve4.jpg
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    i hate that narrow chin of narrow frown.gif
  • cyi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyi polygon
    Don't worry, Cheap! I'll go back and work on the likeness. It's kind of bugging me as well, especially from the front view. I'm not trying to make him look EXACTLY like the capcom version, but I've noticed people are very particular about his face, so I'll be careful to make sure it's more appealing. I'm liking the profile, but the front needs work...mess with the chin, maybe narrow the nose a bit, add more eyelid detail, etc.