Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another webby update. Fresh crits welcome!

polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest, I preferred your old layout. It was much cleaner, and things were easier to find. This one also crashes Firefox every time I close the tab that it occupies.

The quality of your 3D work is superb, as always, so I won't comment on that part of the site. You really just need to focus on presentation.

I know it has potential, but there could be major improvements. For one, I would change all the button icons up top. I think if you were to make them bigger, and less "squished together," your website would be much easier to navigate. It also doesn't make full use of the top of the page, because of the Flash animation on the left-hand side. This leaves a big empty spot, which just doesn't look professional.

Finally, I have to do something that I dread whenever I visit a webpage. Scrolling sideways. It makes text hard to read, and cuts content off from your viewer. You may have designed it to be viewed by people with 1280x960 browser resolutions, but a good majority of people are still using 1024x768 or less. Try to take that into consideration.

I know if you keep on chipping away, you'll have a great site. For now, it's just "good." smile.gif
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Crashed my Firefox as it was loading. What sort of crazy shit are you using on that site?
  • Delaney King
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Delaney King polycounter lvl 18
    Old crazy shit. 1990's old school techniques.
    I think it takes waaaay too long to load at the start too...
    Web heads- Can I run firefox and IE to test this stuff out?
  • NeoShroomish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Old crazy shit. 1990's old school techniques.
    I think it takes waaaay too long to load at the start too...
    Web heads- Can I run firefox and IE to test this stuff out?

[/ QUOTE ]
    Get the IE extension for FF, works a treat, try googling for it.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the new layout. It doesn't crash my version (latest) of FireFox when I closed the tab. What kind of old, outdated versions of FireFox are you guys running?
  • SteveMacBeth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just tested it in Safari, IE and Firefox. Doesn't crash in the latest version of any of those.

I think it's a solid web-site, man. I like it a lot. Super easy to navigate.

Good work!
  • Jarrod1937
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarrod1937 polycounter lvl 15
    yep, works fine here too, firefox 2.0.0.6. nice layout and great works on there too.
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    My FF is fully updated. I've got a lot of extensions running but no site on the interwebs crashes it except this one, so something is suspect. I managed to get it to load once, but it always crashes at some point (clicking any link, closing the tab, etc).

I looked at the source in IE7 and what's with the crazy ass sound stuff? Doesn't even work in IE7, crashes my Firefox, and sound on a website is bad in general. I think you'd best be ditching that.

Also I agree with jgarland, designing for 1024 width screens is still good practice. IIRC it's the most common resolution still, and remember even if someone is using 1280 or higher they may not have the browser fully expanded anyways. Sidescrollers are only fun when they're games smile.gif

(800x600 people can go fsck themselves though).
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Very nice work. Im not a fan of the old skool gel looking buttons I think some more solid flat colour buttons using your colour scheme (white, black text with gold on the side? ?) would be nicer and a stronger design. Also I think that it would be neater if where the buttons end the website could be cropped? just some suggestions. Your work rocks!

heres a little image to show sorta what I mean, Hope you dont mind, just took a few minutes.
    dave_website_by_SirCula.jpg