Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Skull Kid Model (Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask)

Just finished this guy up! Check it out:

skullkidposed_full.png

skullkidmodelsheet_full.png

I'm a huge fan of this character and the game he comes from. (He was the antagonist of Zelda: Majora's Mask). I actually got the idea to model him because he is the character I'd like to see in the upcoming Smash Bros. Brawl. (I even made a version with the background used for the character profiles on the official smash bros site laugh.gifhttp://www.chrisgrahamart.com/images/chrisgraham_skullkidmodel.png )

Here is official artwork of the character for comparison: http://zs.ffshrine.org/album/majoras-mask/art/zmm-skullkid.jpg

Let me know whatcha think! Thanks!

EDIT: Alright, I went through and cleaned up my polycount... got it down from 6200 to 4600. Also slightly altered the texture. See my post below.

Replies

Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Default polycounter lvl 11
    neat, i made one of these a while ago too.Link

pretty straight with the concept, but i think his fingers are too stubby and small, and the mask is too round and bowed out.
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This looks wonderful! I love The Legend of Zelda series (and who doesn't, these days?) so it's nice to see one of the lesser-known characters remade in true next-gen fashion.

I'm kind of curious as to where the 6,200 tris were spent, however. I think you could lose quite a few of them without losing any real detail. The dangling bits on the hat are a good example. You could probably halve the number of polygons in each of them, and it would look just as good. I'm more-or-less just nitpicking here, since triangle counts are becoming less and less of a constraint, but try to keep those things in mind.

Overall, the character looks wonderful, and things were executed quite well. This'll make a great addition to your portfolio. smile.gif
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    All in all looks pretty awesome, but I agree that 6200 tries is pretty crazy for this model. I know smooth circles are nice, but especially with that many rings and spikes on him you really need to cut down on the amount of sides. Games aren't at the point yet where people are going to flip out if they can see an edge. Really, people would expect most of those to just be textured on in the first place.

Then you've got parts like the eyes that hardly stick out from the model at all yet you've given them tons of polygons anyways, and little folds in the cloth that are already taken care of by the texture.

Also, the texture is nice but lacks any colour variation. It works for the cartoony look, but (aside from the mask) still feels more like a "first or second pass" than "just finished".

Nitpicks and polycount aside, he would fit in really well in Brawl. Good job.
  • HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm...
    Skull kid would be awesome
    I want deku link, or just a deku scrub in general moar, myself
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
  • Eclipse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eclipse polycounter lvl 18
    That looks really awesome man, I love the SSBB look-a-like pic, it looks really pro and well done. Only small nitpick would be that brawl seems to have a more gritty look to the characters. If a Brawl version of him is what your were looking for you might want to go with some darker colors and maybe add an overlay or something. But as far as the style you chose to go with, he looks amazing, great job!
  • MrCheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the kind words and critiques so far, all smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    neat, i made one of these a while ago too.Link

[/ QUOTE ]

Woah! Very cool and stylized! Thanks for sharing smile.gif

[ QUOTE ]
    All in all looks pretty awesome, but I agree that 6200 tries is pretty crazy for this model.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be honest, I wasn't really watching the polycount very much, even though I know I should have. You gave some great suggestions on where I could lose a bunch... I might go back in and try to clean the polycount up a bit - what is a good number you'd shoot for for this model?

[ QUOTE ]
    Also, the texture is nice but lacks any colour variation. It works for the cartoony look, but (aside from the mask) still feels more like a "first or second pass" than "just finished".

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you get really specific with this? Texturing is something I've always struggled with, and I feel I'm just recently starting to advance with it. This is really an area where I could use some guidance. What are you referring exactly to with color variation - more shades of of colors in the darker and lighter spots?

Thanks again for taking the time to comment, everyone!
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    I think what acc means is push the contrast and shadows (occlusion) further like more dark values in the folds of the differents fabrics and also more shadows in places where he has props like e.g. the belt, would help make the character more "real".

I like this model a lot, great colors and silhouette. very cool to look at.

Thx for sharing
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
    Nice one. Maybe some more saturation and color variation.
  • MrCheez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay guys! I went back and did some very strategic cleaning of my geometry and got my poly count down from 6200 to 4600! This could probably still go lower but I am happy where it is now I think. One of the areas where I was able to save a LOT was by heavy tweaking of all those rings (including removing the back halves of them that intersect with the cloth anyway.)

So does that seem a bit better?

I also darkened up a few of the shadows on the texture, although it was kind of a quick and subtle attempt because I don't have much time today. I'm hoping to work on the texture a little more soon.

Thanks for the help so far guys!
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    It's awesome piece of art.
    Don't change anything IMo its perfect now.
  • Jacus0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jacus0 polycounter lvl 17
    Dude, nicely doone...Textures look great
  • Flat Tires
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really cool and clean. That's neat how you overlapped the UVs for the duplicated half of the model to save so much space. Did you uv map the model before you mirrored the geometry? How's that work? Thanks
  • ThatDon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatDon polycounter lvl 11
    the piece is great man! I do find the poly count and the texture size sorta a mismatch
  • JesterBox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JesterBox polycounter lvl 18
    Love it, love Smash Bros, love everything. I wanted to do Geno (as my first completed model)from Super Mario RPG but that will have to wait until I've got my laptop.
  • Ancient-Pig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ancient-Pig polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, I dig that.. the colors work really well...

On the crit side of things, the UV space could have been much better utilized - less unused space, arms and legs using the same UV space, the things coming off the hat using the same UV space (but maybe every other one flipped), etc..
  • The_Synj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The_Synj polycounter lvl 18
    This model looks especially great, it's a shame the wii console didn't do a better up on the graphics, because i would love to see a similar model of such detail in a remake or something.