Home Technical Talk

Maya 8.5 transfehr maps

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
Hi, I got a strange maya 8.5 bug.

When I try to bake occlusion from high to low, the cage/lowpolygonal version seem to influence the occlusion! Anybody got the same problem?

Replies

• CheeseOnToast
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Yes, I had this problem too. I did eventually find a way round it, but it was so fiddly and unreliable (with generally poor results), I've gone back to UV mapping the high poly model, baking AO for it then transfering the info through colour rather than trying to use the poor AO transfer.

If you have access to the Turtle renderer, you can bake AO based purely off your low-poly normal mapped model. Again though, it can be hard work trying to get a nice result.
  • rooster
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I havent tried so this is just a suggestion, but what about baking ao to the verts then rendering the vert colours to texture? I think its doable
  • Mique
    Offline / Send Message
    Mique polycounter lvl 11
    I have this problem too a lot.
    Only way I could get around it was to export the meshes as .obj, open a completely new scene, import the meshes back and bake again.
    Solves the problem for me wink.gif
  • katzeimsack
    Offline / Send Message
    katzeimsack polycounter lvl 18
    I will try that smile.gif

made some tests and it seams as if the ao rays are not casted from the envelope, but from the surface you want to bake on.

But hey, I just use xnormal ;D