Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

euclidius * WIP Projects *

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
euclidius polycounter lvl 17
---Project 001

welp this is my first ever post here at Polycount, hello everyone! here it goes! This is a project I have been working on a while on the side just to keep my self in shape. This was actually an art test I did for a company but decided to make it a practice lighting and texturing project- I think so far so good? but commments or additional advices are welcome!

test001.jpgtest002.jpg

Replies

• euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hhhmmm?? quite odd? I wonder if I violeted any rules on the forum?
  • Sandbag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sandbag polycounter lvl 18
    the lighting looks nice but your textures really let it down. It seems like they're almost all unedited photos, not even edited for good tiling. I would say that you definitely need to go back and make that far less apparent, painting your own textures and trying to avoid using photographs straight up whenever possible.

Along with that, the areas seem far too clean, there is no litter of any kind, old news papers, fliers, etc. No city is immaculately clean like that.

Other geometric issues are also present, like the way the stairway in the second render simply emanates from the wall, instead of being attached to it logically. Although the rest of your geometry is rather straight forward consisting mainly of flat faces, a wireframe render would be helpful in further critique of that though.

Along that note, what type of specs are you going for with this? It would appear that there are no normal or specular maps used, and the geometry is fairly blocky over all. Other than the lighting, the scene strikes me as a fairly old-gen level of detail.

On the positive side, the lighting, as I mentioned earlier, is looking believable and aside from previously mentioned issues the areas themselves look feasible as well.

I wouldn't get too impatient with a lack of responses, often times a piece that's not good enough for praise or bad enough for condemnation finds itself on the wayside. Keep working and look into creating a fictional area next time, that might help sway you from relying so heavily on photo textures.
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you Sandbag! thanks for the responce man- I really appreciate it - I was waiting all day for a very constructive critique. I think you are right about the quality of my work- which is what I'm afraid of, fearing that is a bit sub par.

The whole scene is about 20k, the two renders are all on one scene and the explanation for the flat wall buildings geometries cause I was planning to make most of the building geomentry as an instance that can be use over and over again but I can still apply different textures on it, to have more variation- hehe quite emberasing about that stairs and some of the objects that are just floating- sorry rookie mistake and for the dirt and news paper stuff I was planning to add em later when the project is close to completion-

So far you have nailed the textures flaws that's why I took on this project, to learn to edit photo textures more- I am also currently working on another project that I'm planning to texture from scratch. I think I got the hang of the photo edit. as for the specular- I just got one on the bending machine and the windows- but still need to tweak on it more-
    for the bumps- I only got one applied on Basketball court scene- just to one building but it's a bit vague. thank you for the well balance critique! I'll be sure to work on it right away =)
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    There has been a lot of posts lately, so I'm not surprised this was overlooked. I think you have some good scenes.

Like Sandbag refenced though, it should be dirtied up more. You did a good job of aging the metal and the pop machines, but the basketball court and ally pavement has no dirt or wear patterns. The only thing distracting me on the baskeball scene is the perfect lines/paint on the pavement. If you fixed that, I may have been fooled that it was a photo until looking closer.

Also, fix the metal ladder on the side of the building. It currently doesn't make any sense. It goes the same length as the fire escape and when you get to the top, the railing is in the way. It also runs into the building light. The ladder should be shorter and start from the top level of the fire escape.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    looks good.. The stairs on the alley pic look really spereated from the wall..like they are not atached....very floaty