Home Technical Talk

3Ds Max 8 Not saving Files at Render To Texure

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
For some reason Render to texture is not saving a file for me. I go through all the steps to baeke out a Normal map in Max 8, and I hit render, the render wondow shows me the unwrapped model with the normal map applied, but even follwing Mops tutorial to checnk the settings, Max is Not outputting a normal map at all. Did I miss a button or is there a bug where the normal maps do not output because it's nearly a fuull moon? Drop dead deadline, Your help is appreciated

(I can even send the file if you can generate the map for me.)

Scott

Replies

• Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh and a new facet has been added, Upon rebooting and restarting Max, It now asks for the texture it never rendered at file opening. Terrific, Something is bad.

Scott
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Scott, there is a output file option somewhere that you select the location that the normal map will be saved to. Make sure that you are checking that location! wink.gif

The image that you are left with in the view port popup is not the image you want.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I know, and I had the output go to a specific folder (not Max/ Images). It was not in images, and it wasn't where I specified. I dont' see an unchecked "Save File" radio button like in the normal renders

Scott
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    did you try to output to a different location? this happened to me once a while ago...i actually had two folders w/the same name in different locations.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I tried hitting the button and it, does, absolutely nothing, The Floater panel "unightlights" as Max thinks about something and then it highlights again. And outputting to different folders produces the sane non-result.

Scott

Scott
  • Husch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Husch polycounter lvl 18
    Download the Max 9 Demo from autodesk site and render your maps with it. Try to solve the problem later, maybe your Max 8 version is broken and you mentioned a dealine, so its better to find a quick way to continue to work.

By the way, which Windows version do you use? I can remember there was a bug with render to texture with a certain max version and Windows 2000, when i remember correctly.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WindowsXP. Thanks. I'll try the demo

Scott
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Since you are on a deadline, you should consider xnormal as an alternative, until you figure out what's up with max.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Scott - if you are under deadline, grab the free 30 day trial of Silo 2.0 (now at RC1 folks!)

Export high and low as obj from max, bake the normals with that (Select high, select the low, bake. There is a tut on the silo3d forum).

Then realise it's a better modelling package and be even happier.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Render normals in silo, Dear god why? Xnormal is great if you can't get max to work.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have the most recent Max service pack installed? I think max 8 is at SP 3 now. There has been a number of fixes to render to texture since original release.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay I am up to SP 3 in Max8. I down'oaded the demop version of Max 9 (good sign I can't tell by the interface that it is different, hot keys are all the same), but even in Max 9 the file still won't bake. I sent it to a friend, anim8or76, over at Sway, and He could not get the file to bake. Maybe something wrong with the file? the verts on both items are welded and the UV are not mirrored at all nor do they overlap. I'll try the Silo Solution, as I don't know what or where X-normal is. In the mean time, I'll link to the file so that you can see if it's something wrong with the file.
    http://www.rdwarf.com/users/edbado/Unfriendly/Polycount/GasPump3..rar

Scott
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick,can you give me a link to the Silo9 Tutorial please?

Scott
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Can't find it.

Pick each object in the scene in turn (use the scene info box, this is much easier). The last object you pick is the target object.

Always make sure the target object is set to Smooth shaded, or you will get hard edges on the normal map for each polygon.

Experiment with the Ray distance and the samples. I would advise you to tun the samples down to around 5000 and experiment with the raycast distance at first. I think the default is set to 10, and I'd tried 5, 20, 100 and so on - I ended up going lower, to 0.1 and 0.05 to get really good results. Then I turned the samples way up.

I ended up rendering 2 normal maps and compositing then in photoshop - because of the intersections on my model I used a distance of 0.1 for the arms and 0.07 for the torso. I really should have edited the base mesh a little to be honest, that was the main cause of my intersections.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm taking a look at the file, but if I was to shoot from the hip, I think you have "skip existing files checked" in the Render To Texture window (towards the top, under output path).

Edit:
    I was able to render out a normal map.
    Turns out your low poly object has a space at the end of the name which threw off any file names based off of it. All the textures it was trying to make had a funky space character. When I removed that character from the object's name and renamed the textures it worked.

GasPump_n.jpg
    Updated File
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    'oh!!! oh thank god!11 SDSo it was just a space error. Geeze. So my habbit of tabbing in Maya killed me in Max. Thank you VERY much
  • foreverendering
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    foreverendering polycounter lvl 12
    Semi related issue here...

I'm baking down some diffuse textures from a high source model. When I render to texture, it appears to work at first glance. I see it render out the image in the preview window, and the image is saved in the correct location.

Yet, when I go to open the file, it's completely black. This only occurs with larger bakes. If I reduce the size of my bake down to say, 512x512, without any other changes, it creates the map perfectly fine.

Any ideas what could be happening?
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure what is going on with that, but can you save what you see in the preview window and use that? It's not a fix I know but a work around might be better than nothing...

How big is the render when it outputs completely black? I know max has a max render size cut off. There are scripts like Super Render that should get you around that.
    Sometimes merging your scene into a new file works. Since it resets all of the preferences for RTT to default.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    When you get a black bake, it's usually the result of a corrupted mesh.
    Try exporting to OBJ, reimporting, then trying the same bake again.