Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My Portfolio*crits welcome*

Hi my portfolio is at http://www.badgerarmored.net and I wanted to get crits and what to fix on my site or what to add? so I can finaly land a job. For quite a few months I have been job hunting but had little luck.

Replies

• Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    You have alot of Ok and lower art work on your site. Whats killing you is that fact that your showing your bad work.

There is a major distinction between photo reference and just out rite using a photo as a texture. What you are showing in two of your props is that ripping off photos for textures is what you do. Learn to make the same quality as the photos you cut and pasted as textures and you will be alot stronger as an artist.

for your environments make one part of it at a time and put them all together as you go in to the scene. This way you make one good looking thing after another so by the time you are done making each prop youl see what you did wrong with the first few.

Your not ready to be looking for work if you ask me. I have said this many times, when your work looks as good as what you see in the games you play then you know your good enough to get a job. Untill then your more than likely not.
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    A note on your wireframe shots- making the objects transparent so you can see the wires behind it only serves as a distraction. It's really hard to make out anything going on in that temple piece you worked on.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Heya, welcome to polycount, looks like you have some good stuff going on in there. You might want to post some images in this thread of your work along with the website link, it'll make people want to crit more.

On your website/presentation::
    The first thing that I noticed is that you're not showing any texture flats for your environments. Where you do show textures(in your props section)they're small and it looks like you have a lot of wasted texture space. Might be a good idea to have some textures available in some sort of thumbnail form, and be able to click on them to view full size.
    Your wireframes are really hard to read, it would probably be better to take some screencaps with edged faces on so the wires aren't overlapping, like in the temple wireframe, you can see the skydome over everything else, and it's really distracting. More views, closeups, etc. would be good to show as well, and some full-bright screencaps.

Your resume could use some better formatting to make it quick and easy to read. You could make a well organized list of the applications you know how to use and your level of expertise, and make an additional list with all of your skills, i.e. normal map generation, etc.

A couple of quick comments on the work itself, I already mentioned that you're wasting a lot of texture space. The bathroom, esp on the toilet, there's wasted polys, if it's not contributing much to the shape, then take em' out. I do really like how grimy everything is, from here it looks like the shower rod/head are too low, but it could be the angle.

The lamps in the alleyway have a wierd concrete stucco appearance to the texture, and some of the garbage on the ground is floating. The wires overhead are bending at wierd angles, the trashbags don't look quite right to me either.

The temple is looking better, but the stone statues faces up front look a little distorted, and there are a lot of wasted polys on the ridges on the pillars and in the windows. Beyond that, with the way the wireframes are presented it's hard to tell what's going on.

In the archives section here, there's a thread called "Your Portfolio Repels Jobs". There's a really great article in there as well as a lot of discussion on portfolio building. I hope it didn't sound too harsh, I think everything has a lot of potential and is definitely worth investing time in to improve. Definitely stick around on polycount, I've learned tons here and improved so much since I started hanging out here. I'm sure someone else will stop by and give you better, well-organized crits. Keep it up, I definitely know the pains of the job hunt, your stuff has a lot of potential. smile.gif

I really didn't mean to ramble that much, whoops. confused.gif
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the comments and I will take them into consideration, I just feel like I wasted my time making the work I did, I have been trying hard to get better and try to get my work closer to what is seen out there but keep failing. Ill try to put out better work and see what happens.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    Rome wasnt built in a day...stay focused and keep trying. Chalk each model up to a learning exp. and then move on.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    seriously Atraider smile.gif...I don't know what kind of background you have or how long you've been trying, but I've been modelling for about, 7-8 years now (the first two years of which weren't really serious). I'm only just NOW getting (if I may boast a bit) quality models that are close, equal to, or better than game quality material. My Texturing is just now getting to a point where it almost could be passed off as decent professional game quality, AND I haven't even gone to school yet smile.gif.

The game field isn't something you can just jump into a day because you think it's fun. It doesn't seem like a lot of work, but there is far much more work that goes into a game, that I EVER expected before I really got into it, and that most people even give credit for.

Keep at it, practice makes perfect. I know, retired phrase eh? well, it really does. When you are out about in the world, look at things, objects, scenary...study them. Focus on how light hits object, the tones, colors, and hues of it, the texture quality, is it shinny or blurry. Study objects and try and picture the wireframe around things and how YOU would go about modeling them. It's kinda like music, if you can picture it/hear it before you ever create it, you have the "ear/eye" to making great work.

oh and one last thing. One more VERY important thing, that if I can go ahead and give a shoutout to everyone on the polycount boards, studying your fellow non-professional and professional polycounters alike, their material and how THEY went about aproaching a work, is probably one of the beneficial experiences you can recieve in studying this field. There have been so many times I've seen a wireframe of a chest/body and been like "Man I LOVE how he did that" and I saved the .jpg as a reference picture for my own work.

Just like great painters studied leonardo and the like, studying current great "artists" of today can be more beneficial than you realize

So thanks everyone at polycount smile.gif I know you've helped me more than I could ever thank or repay any of you
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice, I just have to keep in mind the advice and just do what is sugested and know nothing said is a personal atack at me, people are just doing what I asked for and thats giving advice how I should get better.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Definitely...I guarantee you 100%, that nothing that has been said has, in ANY WAY been a insult, personal attack, or suggestion that you can't do what you are wanting to do.

One great trait that you can easily acquire, and actually need you (as it seems you already are) is understanding and being ok with critique (as long as it's constructive criticism anyway).

I can guarantee you there are people on this board that knew me years ago when I got into a couple fights with some locals (either under this name or SpartnII, I forget exactly when). I was frustrated with not getting enough "Great job!"s, and wasn't getting enough replys. I can remember one time actually where me and, I believe MOP, got into it pretty hardcore one day. It was embarrassing for me and left me not wanting to post anything becuase of the shame I felt.

I haven't really ventured into other forums dealing with 3D modelling and texture art, so I don't know how the other boards work, but the people that come here are very helpful and professional. In fact, a lot of people that come here are actually already in the industry (your first replier actually, TheGodZero, works for Monolith as says so in his sig, he's a great artist and doesn't offer the advice he gave to dis-encourage you).

If I can re-iterate a previous poster, I strongly encourage you to stay at these boards. The knowledge you can learn here is most beneficial, and probably better than most schools can teach. It just takes time to get good 3D art and texturing.

So I'll stop giving you a speech now, but seriously bro, leave this thread with hope, not doubt smile.gif. You already have potential, you just have to tap into it and keep learning
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You aren't ready to look for a job yet. Keep learning and improving, starting with the crits in this thread. A couple really good pieces and that's all you need (especially since Env artists seem to be in demand right now).

Online crits can often be brutal for mediocre work, because you don't get many compliments and people are generally concise... a good crit takes time and why waste with compliments? But people with time will generally post what you're doing well as well as what you're doing poorly. But if people thought you were hopeless or weren't trying, they wouldn't respond at all. Certainly no one here judges if someone's work is crappy, as long as attitude is good and they are trying.

You graduated two years ago and its really time you buckle down and put some serious portfolio time in. If you make the effort the people on these boards will really help you develop. The only insightful piece of advice I can give you right now is, shave your ass so you don't get a pilonidal cyst from long hours in front of the comp.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the advice and sorry to complain.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    I'll echo what everyone else said, my crits were most definitely to help not to hurt, I rarely write that much in a post, and did so because I do see potential in your work and sympathize with your situation. There will be a few people that'll stop by and say "it's not good" and leave it at that, but it's rare here. The more you post and the better you get, the more comments you will recieve, a lot of us have been where you are, or still are. Take the crits and use them, like DarthRevan said, being good at taking a crit and revising your work as a result is an important trait, games are a team effort.

I'm an AI grad as well, I graduated in Dec of 03, and didn't get my first job until Sept of 05, almost 2 years and 2 jobs(with a string of bad luck lay-offs) later I'm struggling once again to get there. Polycount really is invaluable, keep posting and using the crits, work hard, and you will get better. Hang in there.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I fixed up my resume on the site, I fixed the toilet and put up the wire frame, I fixed the problems you mentioned for the allyway and with the temple I fixed up the problems you mentioned. Oglemeanimations, I tryed my best to take your advice and apply it to help myself out, I may do a new project next make new work. I look forward to more help.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    anything else to fix up?
  • Thegodzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thegodzero polycounter lvl 18
    I would like to introduce you to your new best friend, the push modifier in max. I say best friend because it alows you to be able to see the wireframe of the model and the still see the model underneath. Just make a copy of the object then set it to wire frame and then use the push modifier and push it out a little just enough that you can see it in the render. Use this for all your wireframe shots.

Also get rid of the sword and the axe, because of the way you textured them they don't help you.

As said before by others you need to show your textures for your environments, if you don't feel that they are up to par and worth showing then either make them worth showing or don't show that environment. Because if you show something people will want to know what the parts look like and if they are ugly or sloppy that will kill your chances at a job.

Keep working at new art and youl make it.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks for the advice, for the environments the thing was I had multiple textures for the environments and didn't know the best way to present that on a website per environment.
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    welcome to polycount Artraider! you are handling the crits quite well!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey artraider! welcome to polycount [yes a bit late sorry] but trust me, if u are feeling unconfident about ur work, or if u think it looks like crap etc. etc. or even if u feel ur a pro, stay in these boards. even after a bit more than a year with these guys, i feel like i've improved tons [no, not pro-quality... nowhere near it... yet?]. so make sure that whatever art you do, u post ur WIPs on these boards. these guy's are great crit-givers, and when they're harsh and mean, it helps all the more.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I did update my site before outside of puting up new art and taking down 2 pices what else should I do? I want to show my textures for my larger environments but as said did know the right way to go about it.
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    Hey man. the people on these boards will make you feel like shit even if you DO have a job in the industry haha! It's all love. You gonna channel the angst into productivity, but i think youve taken that to heart already.

know one thing, if you stay on PC and respond to people's crits, you WILL get better, and faster than you might expect.

happy polycounting wink.gif
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    Artraider, the biggest problem I think you have with your portfolio is that you aren't doing enough work. You're spending too much time re-working old pieces and not making new stuff. Accept the fact that while you want to push to make every piece portfolio worthy, a lot of the stuff you do will not be, but will instead be a learning experience.

I mean, you've spent months on the temple you have, and while it's become much, much better than it was in the beginning, you should focus less on tweaking it further and instead on incorporating all you've learned about layering props and compositions into your next piece.

Just keep a positive mental attitude and you'll get to where you want to be eventually.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I will make something new but have been trying to take peoples advice for what I have to make it better.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't read what others have said so I may sound like a broken record.

The work is fairly impressive =) I like what I see.
    However you have a few things to work on.

- Lighting. In the jungle scene I expect to see more green filtered light mixed with a hint of light yellowish brown. Take some time to think about the mood, setting and feeling you want to convey in each scene. Then work out a lighting set up with that in mind. It might help to take a few blank screen grabs into PhotoShop and paint different lighting setups and then go back and try to implement it. It would be great to see some tall shadows on the temple, or filtered light. By adding shadows and adjusting the lighting to fit your focus you can channel people to what you want them to look at. And in level design you can heard people like cattle using the same technique.
    JungleLighting.gif

- The lighting in the alley has your focus go to the sky and away from the props which is what you want people to look at. I suggest using the sky as a ceiling and lighting the alley more brightly. You could turn those paper lanterns on and get some nice lighting. I suggest something like this:
    AlleyLighting.gif

- Wasting polys. I am still of the mindset that if it doesn't contribute to the silhouette then it can be better used some place else. Especially in a jungle environment. Every poly you shave, is another plane of grass, a vine, a dirt clump, a leaf you can add. In the case of the bathroom, the tub has a bunch of polys it doesn't need and you could use them as clutter.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    great paintovers vic wink.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    On your wireframes...It's been mentioned before but they are really distracting. What I do is make a clone of the model, apply a push modifier with a very little amount and apply a wireframe material on it. When you render or screen grab it will show the original model with the wireframe over the top of it. Clean wireframe and looks much better.

i'll focuse on your axe thingy. You have a decent model here and the textures look ok but they could look a lot better. you are wasting a ton of space. Almost as much as you are using maybe even more. Thats really really bad.

Heres a rough paint over.

Since you have the same detail on the handle all the way up add some cuts in there and just overlay the uvs.

axpo.jpg
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you for the paint over,so I shouldn't get rid of the axe and sword or I should, Ill have to think it over but again thanks for the texture idea.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    temple_fixeruper.jpg I tryed to get as close to your idea as I could.
  • {scumworks}
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not really an expert and I might gone abit haywire on this one, but anyway...

I think your bathroom looks good, but I'll add some tweaks. The tub and floor take up a large portion of the screen, yet they're not really super interresting. If it doesnt add, throw away. The closets color takes alot of attention, with no reason. Dim it down. GI is great, but adding too much light can deprive the viewers focus. At the same time, pure black shadows are pretty dull.

I really like connecting things in a screen, as it gives a better flow or something xD. The tub and sink could be waterfilled, some of it ended on the floor which reflects the walls. The place looks pretty worn down and deserted, add water to that and you'll have stuff growing there in no time (trust me xD).

Heres what I meen.

paintover.jpg
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have concept art set up to do a new project and will do that and come back to the allyway and than fix my normal maps and outher textures,I really need something fresh for my mind.
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    if u wanna make a new environment project, something i've always wanted to do [im not an environment artist though, and never had the drive to try an environment piece though it's on my to do list] and something i suggest you might wanna try, is take a pic of a real life location near your house, and model it only in a different state. ie: the future, or post-apoc, or make it a slum, or make it look like we're in a neo-classical era etc. etc.

just my thought on something to give u an idea of what to model...

cheers
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Indian Boy thats an awesome idea bro..I'm def going to have to try that one out smile.gif
    HAH! I stole your idea! :P
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Not really an expert and I might gone abit haywire on this one, but anyway...

I think your bathroom looks good, but I'll add some tweaks. The tub and floor take up a large portion of the screen, yet they're not really super interresting. If it doesnt add, throw away. The closets color takes alot of attention, with no reason. Dim it down. GI is great, but adding too much light can deprive the viewers focus. At the same time, pure black shadows are pretty dull.

I really like connecting things in a screen, as it gives a better flow or something xD. The tub and sink could be waterfilled, some of it ended on the floor which reflects the walls. The place looks pretty worn down and deserted, add water to that and you'll have stuff growing there in no time (trust me xD).

Heres what I meen.

paintover.jpg

[/ QUOTE ]

daamn! I really love what you added in! very nice!
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @DarthRevan - hehe lol! ur more than welcome to try it out man! glad u liked it. only one condition: u have a wip thread here so i can watch it like a hawk:D!
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    126762_1183481039_submedium-1.jpg is the refrance image that I am using,it is not myne but have ok to use.

wip1-1.jpg

wip1-2.jpg

any crits or help is welcome as the lighting and textures ect.. are in progress.
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, good to see you're working on stuff. The first issue I'm seeing with your scene is that there are some scale issues, esp with the ceiling tiles, they're way too big. The lights also look a bit on the slim side. Watch the angles of things as far as realism goes, the angle that the broken ceiling tile is hanging looks a smidge too much, like it would fall out at this point. Also, the stack of papers that's closest to the camera has an odd acordion effect and it looks like they would have to be glued together to stay that way. Maybe try taking a cue from your ref image and shift random papers in chunks left and right and front and back instead of making them bend over backwards like that.

Good start overall, I'm stoked that you're taking time to work on new stuff and keep pushing forward. Keep posting updates and you'll keep getting crits and end up with a nice piece of work. Keep it up! smile.gif
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wip1-3.jpg this is a update with the advice you gave, a question I have is what is the best way I can create the dim/earie atmosphere in the illustration, I have tryed diffrent light settings and quite get the same atmosphere.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    That reference you're using has a really distorted perspective, so just be careful with the scale and placement. Why not use some photo reference of actual office furniture and supplies to work from? Then you can arrange them as in your reference, if recreating the scene is your goal. For instance, the chair looks really strange, like you would most definitely lose balance when sitting on it and fall backwards. The reason is that the "feet" are so small and they are attached to the chair off the center, too much towards the front.

As for the fogy effect, you will want to use some light fog/volume fog effects. Not sure what you're using for modeling/rendering, but in Maya that could be achieved with volume fog or light fog that you add to your lights or add assign to vulme primitives, and set it to have high spread and low density/intensity. You could even use shader glow for it I think.

Regarding textures - it depends on what engine/platform you're aiming for. If it's ps3/360/Unreal 3 etc, then you could do some nice stuff with shaders, like multiply non-tiling ambient occlusion baked map on top of your wall and floor tiling texture, to get more depth and also use the same technique to add dirt.

Nice progress so far though, keep going.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I currently use 3d max 8,multiply non-tiling ambient occlusion baked map is something I have not tryed before and not sure how you would do it, I know how you bake maps ect.. I think for the volume fog ect and light effects I can also work some of that post in Photoshop.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    render_1-1.jpg a small update, I am still trying to get atmosphere there. What else can I do?
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    Totally re-model that wooden door, it makes no sense.
    You want the knob at the right height and shorten how far it protrudes out.
    It also looks like it's stuck onto the wall, give it a border.
    Put a small border around the bottom of the wall and generally fill it up with some more stuff.
    Looks like you got the foggy lights going but now they spread light up the room too much.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Always have a human reference model in your scene, it will help with proportions.
  • artraider
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    the wooden door is small, the desks and chairs look pretty big and those papers look huge too but it could be the perspective. Go stand in the doorway to your room and notice it's size in relation to you, see how the doorknob fits in your hand, etc...
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good to see this WIP raider!
    listen to what Justin just said. his points were the ones i was about to say.

oh, and don't forget to add debris on the floor.

good work!
    cheers
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Scale is the biggest and most important issue to fix first. Do some google searches and get more pictures of populated offices, people sitting at desks, standing at windows and in doorways, it'll help a lot. The stacks of papers on top of the file cabinets look a lot better. Just remember, you can never have too much ref. Keep it up, you're definitely getting there and making improvements.
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    render_2.jpg a update to the work
  • artraider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    render12288.jpg this is a update of the room.