Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[n00b] Hand with a gun ... or the opposite :-P

Bad Sector
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Bad Sector polycounter lvl 17
Mostly coder, but i try to learn other arts too. Since i'm a FPS freak having a few FPS-like engines almost made (but none finished :-P), all my model work is made to be used there. Skipping the extra blahblah that comes into my mind right now, i decided to make a small one-handed shotgun-like gun, similar to the one used in Blood 2, but not that shotgun like. Well, i'm not sure what i wanted to do, i had a vague image in my head and i was coming up with the "design" (beh) as i was moving the vertices around.

After i while, i came up with this:
sugun.png
(note image made in blender, the monkeyhead is a blender model - where other modellers have a teapot, blender has a monkeyhead)

The first person that saw it, thought that it was a sink. Someone else commented that i should look for reference images and build from them (i know i suck, i didn't do that). At this point i remembered that there is a references thread here, so i went to that modelgun site and saw some MadMax models. Note that i didn't wanted to replicate that shotgun (as i said, i don't want to make a shotgun). Anyway, after a while, i came up with this:

sugun2.png
Mesh:
sugun2mesh.png

Which i think is a little better. However, i think there is something wrong but possibly due to my inexperience, i can't spot it.

Any ideas?

Note: i'm much more comfortable with low-poly models than high poly ones - that probably stems from my coder side where i try to keep polys down :-P

Note2: the gun has no trigger because the trigger is not visible. Also in the mesh version, i moved the hand a little behind.

Also another question: are there any online tutorials/guides/whatever on texturing models? Most of my attempts at the past were extremely sucky.

Replies