Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Home Sweet Homeless

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Nate Broach polycounter lvl 17
Im officially starting my senior project. I spent last quarter concepting it all out.

The basic concept of this scene is that there are 4 homeless veterans who live in this alley. Despite the fact that they are homeless with very limited resources, they are concerned about their own quality of life and attempt to live comfortably. So they used the random trash they found in the city and built a makeshift living area out of it.

I'm not much of a 2D artist, but heres my basic representation of the scene I want to build.

8ColoredComp.jpg

I do intend to stray from the concept some. Heres the beginnings of the modelling.

WIP2.jpg

And heres the wireframe, the unreal guy is in there for scale...

WIP-1.jpg

Critiques welcome! Ill hopefully be posting pretty frequently.

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Well Nate this is for sure the first time I have seen this topic put into 3d. Could be interesting. You can really add a lot of detail to the surrounding buildings and make this interesting.

Hurry up and get to texturing already.
  • richkid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    richkid polycounter lvl 13
    dude, go on conceptart.org and check out some of coro's work, he is all about painting homeless people. and i might have some pics buried im my computer that could help as well, i will try and find them for you

awesome topic
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    dude, go on conceptart.org and check out some of coro's work, he is all about painting homeless people. and i might have some pics buried im my computer that could help as well, i will try and find them for you

awesome topic

[/ QUOTE ]

why go all the way to conceptart.org when he can just get the pics i have of you my friend. smile.gif
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    that was awesome
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    reality is always stranger than you can imagine: if you haven't had the pleasure already, i recommend renting/downloading a very interesting documentary called Dark Days, wherein a small community of homeless people lived in abandoned train tunnels. like coming upon a community straight out of an RPG: they had running water, siphoned-off electricity from the grid, small makeshift houses... it'd be a great reference point for this project, because it shares the same basic setup.

the big work you're going to have to do now is to show this as a real living space and not just a collection of hobo-related props, which is where the concept is at now. it should look a lot grubbier, since living out in the elements all the time (even in a warm climate, as the sign would indicate they're living in) is hard and of course they're getting all their stuff secondhand or discarded.

another big point is that it's a mighty generous alleyway they've got to themselves there. if they're going to have such a big space to themselves, it needs to be more closed off/forgotten, possibly between condemned buildings or in an industrial quarter, since in a residential area, building proprietors would be making use of the space.
    making it a larger space is sensible from a game design perspective, since players always need plenty of room to move around; but for "realism" things should be more... crenelated, more nooks and crannies type arrangements. things should be half hidden away, propped up and built into/from existing structures as possible. right now it looks more like somebody playing at building a homeless set up, not homeless people actually trying to live there.

if you haven't already, think about the specific natures, personalities, and even health/medical needs of the men living here (is one disabled in some way and needs special access for a wheelchair or crutches?) and then mentally work through a day in the life for them, a week in the life, a month in the life. what happens when it rains? do they all need their own spaces? are they secretive or suspicious of each other? where are the hoard piles? where do they keep their plastic bags full of things? "real" proper homeless people often end up looking like deranged urban campers.

anyway, it's a good project with a lot of potential. don't get whole hog into modeling out stuff without taking time to consider things well.
  • konstruct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    konstruct polycounter lvl 18
    dark days is a good movie- definitely check it out.
    gauss nailed it-

I understand your going for a more cleaned up civilized hobo scenario, but I think its going to need other parts of the the puzzle in order for that to make sense. I.E. characters-

maybe try making a more usual hobo/tramp scene, dirty it up, and THEN try pulling elements into your fiction from there.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    and hamburgers made from rats
    and dennis leary
    and

to me this looks like some of the parts in HL2
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Started texturing the walls. Thanks for all the feedback, I went out and rented Dark Days last week and loved it. Gave me tons of ideas. I went back and made their living area less "generous" and started texturing. Still very WIP but it kind of shows where I'm headed with it. The ground will be dirty, I'm just starting on it now. Critiques wanted!

TextureWIP.jpg
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    I like the brick texture really pops out at you,although i do not like the concrete texture at all but its wip so i guess it can only get better.keep going
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking good, cool idea.

Edge Trim/details.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    a brick that doesn't tile so obviously would go a long ways.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    a brick that doesn't tile so obviously would go a long ways.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah this stuck out to me really quickly when looking at this as well. You will be able to break it up a little with dirt, graffiti but you should work on the texture a bit more on that.
  • Nate Broach
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey thanks for the replies, yea I plan on going back and working them bricks. I'm just trying to get somewhat of a first pass on all the walls and the ground. So heres the first pass at the ground. I had to go out and take pictures of garbage for an hour. I havnt really touched the curb yet, but this is as far as I'm going to get tonight. Once again it gives you somewhat of an idea of where I'm going with it. Will update again soon!

SceneWIP2.jpg
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    is the trash on the concrete (ground) texture or are you using decal sheets? You would be able to have a much high res ground texture if you used decal sheets for the trash and debris and it would look better in my opinion.