Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: "Druss The Legend"

cw
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
cw polycounter lvl 17
Anyone read the book by British author David Gemmell called "Legend"? This is going my reimagining of the character.

Anyway, I've not posted here (or anywhere) much for a while, so here goes nothing! laugh.gif

first rough noodling to get a feel (and lose some rust)
doodles1doodles_psd.jpg
doodledesign1.jpg
doodledesign2ii.jpg

Replies

• cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    ok some costume design and brainstorm for armour:

doodledesign_costume1ii.jpg
    doodledesign_costume1iii.jpg
    armour_i.jpg
    armour_ii.jpg
    armour_iii.jpg
    armour_iv.jpg

I've done the brainstorming after initiallg running for a bit with the top armour design. Something was somewhat amiss though in the sculpting so I am stepping back a bit for some more concentrated design, then I shall rework the sculpt.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    sculpt where it got to before I backpedalled.

yes I know it is a crease-fest, but creases, are so.. well.. fun! I will get some better sense of form in there during the rework.

zb_prog3.jpg

Critique and ideas welcomed! I haven't done a personal project for a good while, been mired in all sorts of gnarly technical or spreadsheety tasks at work frown.gif

cheers! - cw
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    my only crit at this point is that, from what i understand of the wikipedia entry for Legend, is that it's a high fantasy type of novel, and what you've got here, while very wel modeled, has some very ambiguous cues to it regarding time period/place. the mostly black close-fitting stuff ends up looking like a modern military garb to some degree... at least at this stage. once you detail through i'm sure any of the ambiguity about the period and theme should disappear.

other than that, the main thing will be for you to emphasize the characteristics of this legendary hero, past his prime but very well seasoned, coming to the aid of his people one last heroic time. the peppery beard looks great, but you're going to want to have several design elements both in the character and his armor/weaponry to suggest just how experienced and, well, legendary this guy is.

gimme a second and i'll up a few suggestions via paintover smile.gif
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    ooh that would be tasty. smile.gif

there is a definite air of generic-ness at the moment, but as you point out some stronger design elements which reinforce his character will do wonders. I should find some time to address it this week, and I will post my results.

If you do fancy a paintover feel free, it will be fun to see the thoughts of a seasoned pro such as yourself smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    seasoned meddler, anyway. smile.gif

here's a poor justin sweet impression for your troubles.
    wallatag.jpg

not great, but i think it emphasizes stature and maturity, which is something you want to do.

also, in that first image of yours, the profile sketch on the right hand side is spot-on for the kind of build and poise this guy should have. keep working with those kind of fluid shapes.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    ayup, nice one gauss. I do love that posture, and I should push it more I agree. So my next mission is to rearrange slightly the proportions and posture, and get armour *designed* rather than doodled.

I will tackle this tonight, I forsee a busy day of technical wrangling, but I might be able to squeeze something in at lunch. Tend to keep getting interrupted in the office though, tricky to focus for very long without masses of caffeine. smile.gif

cheers for the help, it's much appreciated. (I'm fast starting to prefer polycount to any other game-art places on t'interweb)

I shall try to update soon.

cw
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I feel like the beard needs a little more "flow" to it. Right now it just seems to jut straight out. Let gravity affect it a bit more.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    cheers aesir,

im going back a step atm with this project, so I shall bear this point in mind as I rework. smile.gif

cheers.
    cw
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There is a graphic novel of Legend and he looks fairly similar to some of your sketches, he doesn't wear big heavy armour and just wears leather stuff really... your interpretation of Snaga is lovely as well, I actually modeled a Snaga for myself to use in Morrowind based on this reference:
    rpg-snaga.jpg

I think I'd prefer to see the character a little more stylised and caricatured, just in the proportion to make him more a bit shorter/wider, but thats just personal preference. It's looking really nice though smile.gif
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    nice snaga!

i tried a shorter-wider proportion right at the star, problem was, his beard and axe combined with those proportions to make him look a bit like a tolkien rip-off dwarf. seing as he's often referred to as a 'massive' man i figured he can be tall. i might try it again though with my base model in zb, for the sake of completeness. smile.gif

cheers!
  • frettchen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah in the graphic novel he did look a bit dwarfy smile.gif
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    ok guys, ive had a bit of a hectic week spare-time-wise, so I haven't progressed as far as I'd hoped.

I plan to catch up friday night, and will post then. smile.gif

cheers for all the comments so far!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    right i tried to get a bit more of his poise and suchlike in the pose, and proportions. I will draw up armour tomorrow, then on to the modelling again laugh.gif

need to get it moving, its gone stale this week cos of busy times elsewhere than this project. smile.gif

new_druss_noclothes.jpg

more to come soon!
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    rough base clothes - armour comiing today i hope

new_druss_baseclothes.jpg

need to don my skates to get this bugger done.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    just noticed his silly little arms, need to tweak them longer - oops
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    ok here it is. im going to go with it now i think, or there's a danger I will go off of it and not finish smile.gif

feel free to criticise away though, its all good for my brainmeat to feed on.

new_druss_armourdesign2.jpg
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    new base mesh - more to come -
    zb_drussbase_new-i.jpg
  • Jaco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jaco polycounter lvl 17
    The new concept's looking awesome, I liked gauss' red cloak thing though, and the bulkier armour on the forearms. The model is looking good so far, the biceps look a bit deflated though.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    ok had some zb problems, was crashing all the time - pixologic forums eventually told me whhat the problem was - so i got an hour or so of progress -

zb_prog4.jpg
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    something strange, with his hands in biceps area
    i can't tell you exactly- my language not so good
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    bit more work on this -
    zb_prog5.jpg

need to finish it soon! smile.gif
  • hobodactyl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hobodactyl polycounter lvl 18
    Looking really cool, I like it! You have really good definition, and I like the character. It'll be cool to see this guy done smile.gif
  • indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wow some really great work man! its looking nice, but, i'm just thinking what ur planning on doing for breaking syymetry and whatnot.

can't wait to see the progress
  • MatOaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MatOaf polycounter lvl 17
    I agree great work, what I love here is that you have almost taken us on a journey with your first image showing us the rough drawings you initially started taking us along until you ended up with the W.I.P model you have there.

Quality work but more than that I liked how you showed us your workflow here.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    i finally got it done. had to scrabble arounda t the weekend, so theres some things im not too happy with, but I can fix them now at my leisure. smile.gif

orthos_3.jpg
    orthos_1.jpg
    shader_view.jpg

so there we go. could have been better, must try harder etc. but It's been a while since I did some sort of personal work, outside of me job, so I'm glad that it's finally finished.

Must try to fit more personal work in. It was fun to do! smile.gif
  • tremulant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tremulant polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, man, I really enjoyed seeing this one develope,Turned out really nice!

And you learned tons, it seems from start to finish.

My only real crit, would be the anatomy of the bicep. looks like it comes down to far on the arm.

Nice though, I'll look foward to seeing more stuff from you.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    cheers for the comments, yeah im glad its done now though I was starting to get a bit bored of it :P

nice to 'keep my hand in' though. laugh.gif

maybe I shall do some more stuff soon.