Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fantasy Chest

Hello there,
I entered a competition @ 3d-palace, we had to make a zelda/fable-ish fantasy chest. I learned alot from it I think, but as I'll also be putting it on my portfolio, I'd love to get some C&C on it. Thanks.

TreasureChestComp_EarlyConcept_004.jpg
TreasureChestComp_BeautRender1.jpg
TreasureChestComp_BeautRender2.jpg
TreasureChestComp_Diffuse+copy.jpg
TreasureChestComp_Glowmap+copy.jpg
TreasureChestComp_Specular+copy.jpg
TreasureChestComp_Wireframe.jpg

Replies

• indian_boy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pretty neat! whats the res of that texture?
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They are all 512x512
  • stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    This is kewl man. i really like the idea of flying gems with wings =) you should clean up the alpha planes, you can see the corners of them, probably from the light reflecting on them. are these viewport grabs? why are the edges so aliased? kinda distracts from the nice painting when i see those jagged edges.
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Ahhhh, a little dissapointed I was expecting a real "fantasy chest".lol

Good stuff dude, painted textures are always hard to do, try to turning down the spec a bit. I also agree with stimpack and his crits.
    Good stuff though, keep them coming.
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    Cool prop, textures are well painted and the concept is solid, definitely has the vibe of a magical chest with something special inside. Nice UV layout as well.

As for crits, I agree with those already given, and noticed a couple other things. One was the wood beams holding the torch, where they insect with the chest and the torch. They just seem to disappear into the model, without having any kind of solid physical connection. Maybe add a metal bracket into the texture where they mesh intersects, something like this?

The other crit is the little fairy moth things around the flame; their wings should be along their top, not their back (tip the models 90 degrees in the direction they face)

good luck in the contest smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    I am with culturedbum. I was expecting to see some huge bossums...oh well...

I like what you have here. solid like and i would look at the same issues ferg mentioned.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Theres really no reason to have any spec on the tree bark, i mean really think about it. Why would your tree bark be reflecting light? Not to mention specular just tends to look really really bad without normals on something like that. Unless its a polished wood, dont give it spec.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all the nice comments, I won the comp, but will go back to polish it using all the crits mentioned smile.gif
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    It also looks a bit top heavy to me, if its a chest sitting on a tree stump, it looks as if it would fall forward, the center of gravity seems like it would fall off there pretty easily.