Home Technical Talk

3ds Max problems

hey guys. I'm running 3ds Max 9 on my new computer, and i'm having some really annoying problems.

1) undoing takes forever. Especially after i turn on DirectX view. Then [even if i turn it off] it takes like 4 seconds to undo even the move of vertices on an untextured object.

2)from the wireframe, i can see the backside of my mesh. ie. front view also shows verts/faces of the back, top shows of the bottom etc. etc.

could you please help me sort these out as they are really causing irritation, and im having a hard time modelling.

thank you very much.

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    DirectX view is annoying like that. Use a custom shader instead, it doesn't cause the undo to slow down. Google JIStyle's skin shader or Ben Cloward's HLSL normal map shader and use one of those instead of using the standard preview.

Not sure what you mean by the wireframe - i never use pure wireframe view, nearly always "show edged faces" on faceted shading. I don't know if there's a way of doing those things unless there's a "hidden line" shading mode which I don't think max has.
  • CrazyButcher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CrazyButcher polycounter lvl 18
    2) max9 by default disables backface culling (right click-> object properties (or edit)). you can manually enable it again there.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    I don't know if there's a way of doing those things unless there's a "hidden line" shading mode which I don't think max has.

[/ QUOTE ]

Max 9 has hidden line. Not too many people knew that though. I found out at the Max 9 GDC talk this year.
  • FatAssasin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FatAssasin polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    2) max9 by default disables backface culling (right click-> object properties (or edit)). you can manually enable it again there.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's now disabled by default to speed up viewport performance (it takes extra time to see if a face should be drawn or not as opposed to just drawing all the faces). If you turn it on, your viewport speed won't be as fast, especially on high poly objects.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a strange Max bug... I'm LoDing some guy's model, and strangely, I can't select some vertices. They are there, I can select all the other component types, but I can't select vertices, they are not showing up when I try to select them. This doesn't even effect the whole object, only particular faces/elements. Tried detaching, resetting XForm, no idea, I guess I can try export as obj/import but I'm curious if anyone else has come across this problem. The little blue vertices are not showing up where there are vertices, its strange.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll probably catch hell for attempting to help ya prof, but who cares =P
    You might need to unhide the verts...
    VertUnhideDUH.jpg
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Vig, that was it. I just started to get into Max again for the freelance work I'm doing, been using Maya for a couple years now so I have to adjust myself, need to get used to the modeling workflow.

I know you're joking but that's pretty sad if people wouldn't help someone because they said something sour and stupid in GD.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    [ QUOTE ]
    Thanks Vig, that was it. I just started to get into Max again for the freelance work I'm doing, been using Maya for a couple years now so I have to adjust myself, need to get used to the modeling workflow.

I know you're joking but that's pretty sad if people wouldn't help someone because they said something sour and stupid in GD.

[/ QUOTE ]

I doubt anyone is really going to do that. Don't worry about it and let it pass on quietly.

Anyhow I was going to post the exact solution that Vig suggested. I don't know why you have to unhide the verts manually sometimes, but you do.

I've had the same super slow undo problem as well, but I don't think I was using a DX material because it was my unshaded high poly model. It's weird because it has only happened to me once, and with my first model at this job. Everything else has been like buttah smile.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah the verts thing is bogus. Sometimes mine will completely disappear as well and i have to unhide them all.

I've also ran into the super slow undo. Sometimes it can be caused by max crashing and you reverting to your autoback file and somehow they get corrupted with some bad data. I usually just export an obj and re-import and it usually fixes the issue.
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've been making a ton of LoD models lately, anyone else run into massive bugs with Loop/Ring select and Reduce in Max9? Its at the point where I actually cringe a little bit in expectation every time I press them if there's any sort of strange geometry.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Reduce? do you mean remove? I have gotten wierd things, like disappearing verts or verts that stay put after you target weld then after awhile they appear as they should. When I make LODs in max to reduce edges I select my loop and hit crtl backspace to remove them since that doesn't mess up the uvs.

I am working on a ogre project myself. Thanks for writing up the tutorial on the fx to ogre material.
    Alex
  • Rob Galanakis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I meant Remove. And you're welcome.