Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Vehicle: Stryker!

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
MikeB polycounter lvl 17
Hey guys, as you can see, I'm pretty new here...so I figured I'd get what I'm working on up here for some crits. This here tank is for the Project Reality mod...and my portfolio!

It is 6600 tris, and it will have 2048 textures, diffuse, spec and normals. I'm not looking for crits on the modeling as much as I am on the textures....but I'm open for suggestions on modeling for future models. Obviously there is only the normal map right now, and that is still wip so keep that in mind.

Here it is grin.gif

Wires -
1_5-1.jpg
Low Poly w/ Normal map -
8_5.jpg

And here is a shot without the cage...its pretty big tho.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v112/slinkysmeagol/6-2.jpg

Thanks in advance guys smile.gif

Replies

• PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    excellent job on this. I've made a few strykers in my time, and your model is really quite good. I am excited to see it textured.
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    This is really good
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice job on the normal map. When is the texture coming?

poop.gif
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys grin.gif
    I have some more work to do on the normal map - the tires are a bit weak so I'm thinking I can push some more out of them. The thing is, I have some freelance work that I have to finish up before I can get back onto this. But I'm hoping to have another update towards the end of the week.
  • Uly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uly polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Monkey! Saw some of your stuff on GameArtist.net (I think) earlier. Great stuff! Hope to see this thing textured in the future. : D
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    This is a small update, just wanted to tweak the tires a bit while I had some free time. I redid them totally...and I like these alot better. grin.gif

10.jpg
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jaalto polycounter lvl 13
    these are _much_ better smile.gif
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    And it is texture time! Finished up the more important work and finally got a chance to texture this. I'm pretty happy with the results so far. I'm just going through now and checking for anything that needs help. So if you guys wouldn't mind chucking some crits at me, that would just be dandy! tongue.gif

*Edit* Removed the outdated picture!
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    How about adding some dirt to the intersections between the bars in the cage? The look a little harsh. Also I don't know if it's the lighting but the spec on the tank you've got in your portfolio looks much better.
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Por@szek polycounter lvl 18
    Looks very cool, texture need more love, and I need to agree with okkun.
    But definitely wheels are totally kickass.
    Dig it.
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    Yeah I realized once you guys mentioned the spec that it was the lights. This tank is a little flatter than the other one on my site, so I guess that is what made it annoying to get the lights to show off the spec the best. If you guys have tips for setting up the lights...that would be great, because its a lighting issue not as much spec.

But here is an update with some other little stuff I added, and hopefully the specular looks better.

*Edit* Removed the outdated pictures wink.gif

I appreciate the crits so far, so please keep em coming!
  • jgarland
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really like this piece. The normal maps came out really well, and the specular looks a whole lot better this time around.

The only real problem I see is an apparent lack of a unified light source. Some parts of the model seem to be in extreme shadow, while others which are directly next to those parts seem to be completely lit. The left headlight, the "antenna" on the right side, and parts of the gun are some examples of what I mean.

I'm not sure if it's because certain parts of your diffuse map are using darker colors than other parts, or if it actually has to do with the lighting. It's worth looking into.

Keep pushing. I think just a few minor tweaks could push this piece from just "good" to "really great." smile.gif
  • Aldo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks really good. You could also dirty up inside where the wheels are, since you're grunge-ing up everything...and logically there would be dirtier than most other places.
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    Very good points guys, I stuck the diffuse only on it , to see if it was the diffuse causing the variety of lighting. The diffuse was off a little bit, but the majority of it is because of the lighting. So I fixed up the diffuse and now the lighter areas are because of the lighting.

I did some other small tweaks and additions...but I'm done for today, I'll do more tomorrow!

Oh yea, if these pics are to big...lemme know I'll make smaller ones in the future.

17.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its very nicely coming piece.
    I love the details. U can add rust and dirt, it will looks very realistic as a leak on those bolts.
    I;m also thinking that U should add a bit of different color, green I supposed will fit here. AS a camouflage i think. I;m not sure keeping it in one color sheme is a good idea. It might be even more interesting with various palette.
    So far so good, will be awesome, I can feel it in my bones smile.gif
  • MikeB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeB polycounter lvl 17
    Ok well, I've gone through and added some more dirt and wear. I'm thinking it is just about done, just looking for some crits and/or ideas on other details that would add a little to it.

I really appreciate the crits so far guys, thanks!

19.jpg
  • Por@szek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi man.
    It's going pretty nicely. I really like it.
    Here is simple jpg with scratch and dirt samples. It might be very usefull for U.
    dirtscratchmg4.th.jpg
  • Armanguy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Armanguy polycounter lvl 17
    i know this has nothing to do with your current work but in your portfolio why don you bring your better pieces to the top right now they are behind your less pleasent pieces?