Home General Discussion

Law and Order videogame banned?

Bronco
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Bronco polycounter lvl 18
So I was on my way to work and caught on the radio that the videogame "law and order" (based on the US TV series) has been banned becuase it uses a CCTV image of James Bulger being abducted before being murdered.

They said the image was used as a wall poster within the game istelf.

I can't find a related article to this on the BBC news website,especially since they are still rolling around in the banning of manhunt 2.

If this is true,then heads should roll for it,its irrisponsible as well as insensistive and just plane stupid and it puts yet another black mark against our industry and gives people even more ammunition to suggest that the videogames industry is indeed run by a bunch of very irrisponsible and imoral people when we all know that is simply not true....I just think as an industry we dont help oursleves sometimes.

Anyone else hear this?

John

Replies

• Steve Schulze
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    If I was going to speculate, I'd suggest that it was most likely some inexperienced texture artist looking for a recognisable piece of evidence to stick up on the wall of a police station or some such. Its obviously a stupid thing to do to use a photo of a real case, particularly such a well known one that caused such a public outcry but I can't imagine whoever it was set out to offend anyone or make light of the case.
  • hawken
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    doesn't seem to mean that the game will be banned. Surely all they have to do is remove the offending items and release it.
  • danr
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/merseyside/6768695.stm

the game is 4 years old already, it's just been withdrawn from sale. Which probably just means taking it off the HMV 3 for £15 rack.

And i think jackablade is probably right ... you'd be amazed (or not) by the stupid things that many game artists do, and the things no-one above them can be bothered to check for.