Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Website Crit

I know I broke a few rules about portfolio design, but I'm hoping it isn't too overboard. Plus the internship I am currently looking at does a lot of Flash work. I am planning on adding playable versions of the Flash work, and some concept work. Let me know what you guys think.

http://studentpages.scad.edu/~medwar23/

-marc

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    All I see is a big grey window with a an empty white box in the middle. You need an HTML option if you want everyone to see it. If the site doesn't work, it will be immediately skipped over for the next candidate.

http://www.thejonjones.com/2005/10/07/your-portfolio-repels-jobs/
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks, i will get on that
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Besides that link Cholden suggested checking around these forums for users website links generally in their signature area at the bottom of their posts for ideas on what's the best approach to tackle online game portfolio's. Flash isn't necessary that's more of a webdesign portfolio choice but if you like flash it's your choice. Users also give an the option for either flash or html so you still keep your flash site and make the art/rep happy.

Good Luck,
    $
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Video Game artist is too vague, ask yourself what kind of work you want to do and then make that the sole subject of your website.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    The wireframes are not very readable. I think you should resize them to fit the area they will be loaded into and then load them, because flash doesn't do any kind of aliasing on an image when it is scaling it down. Also, it would be nice to have a whole enlarged image be a back button, instead of having to go and click on the back button in the lower right corner - especially since the back button on a mouse (or keyboard shortcut) doesn't work with flash site... Images could also be bigger.
    Aside from that, site looks nice and clean, I like it.
  • Ghostscape
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ghostscape polycounter lvl 13
    The images are too small, it looks like everything was shrunk down with a nearest neighbor scaling because everything is chunky and pixelly, and I hate having to click the back button to go back to the thumbs - having a "next image" button would be nice.

Also you have no focus, all of your content is all over, characters, vehicles, 2d flash stuff, with very little consistency. I have no idea what you want to do, which gives the impression that you do not either.

Also breaking up 3ds Max and Maya separately doesn't really matter. A better way to break things up would be by discipline/content, IE characters, vehicles, props, 2d, etc.
  • Unleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unleashed polycounter lvl 19
    Hey fellow scad student!

I agree with the points already made, needs larger images to be able to properly view an image
    also, maybe the flash transitions could be sped up a little, a little more contrast on the wording on the main flash page(white on light grey can hurt the eyes).

Have you taken your studio 2 class yet? just wondering what its like
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nope, i haven't taken studio 2 yet.. which campus are you?

*edit, never mind, i see your from Savannah. I will be taking studio 2 down there in the fall.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    yer thumbnails point to the wrong images.

whats the point of doing it in flash? Not to kick you in the family jewels but you're not very good at flash.
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im having trouble finding a single thumbnail that points to the wrong image. care to point it out for me?

and as i said before, it is in flash, because i am applying for a flash job. is it over the top with code and ridiculous tweens and whatnot? no, because that would take forever to load. could a do some massive complex flash page? sure, but what employer will sit and wait for it to load. can you justify whay im " not very good at flash"?
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is good at flash > link
  • Mil0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i see your point.
    i apologize if my tone was a bit pissy before.
    i just didnt feel it was necessary to spend such a huge amount of time on a bloated webpage when all it was designed for was to show off some work.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i see your point.
    i apologize if my tone was a bit pissy before.
    i just didnt feel it was necessary to spend such a huge amount of time on a bloated webpage when all it was designed for was to show off some work.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, if your website is selling your flash skills, it better have some sweet ass flash voodoo (and drop everything that isn't showing off your flash skillz).

I know how to use flash too but that's not my focus, I'm an enviro artist so this is my portfolio linkatude
    (ok, maybe I shouldn't of included that monster guy, but I likes him)
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    It's not worth it
    Photoshop > File > Automate > Web Photo Gallery
    done.

That said, I wanted to follow-up. I was able to view your site from home, and I agree with what's been said about image size and whatnot. That said, I can view all those flash sites (that Justin posted) at work, but something about your site doesn't work. Maybe it's your flash format, I don't know.

Here's the thing I'm a bit confused on. Your portfolio features game art, but here you're speaking of getting a flash job.

What is your primary goal?

Figure that out, and everything in your portfolio should be JUST THAT. All the other stuff should be seperate. If it's a flash job you want, it's ok to make a game art portfolio too, but keep it seperate, and show it to potential employers in the game development field.