Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

background design

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
wester polycounter lvl 13
Just an idea I had for a sweet background painting I want to commit some time to.

The idea is basically the coast of a very hot/humid country. Probably mexico or something, but there are these small clusters of a village here and there, and for every village they have a couple ship ports for landings. Visitors and such.
This coast is very rundown and low maintenance, though it still works the wires and technology more or less hangs off of the coasts bones.

It's not done yet, but here's what i have so far.

I need to add something to the left part of the composition, maybe a man on a boat or something.

shipportcopy.jpg

Replies

• stimpack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stimpack polycounter lvl 10
    This is sweet man, the buildings are a bit boring tho, they seem cooky cutter squares. try getting a bit more risky with the shapes and styles of the buildings, look at all the random shape buildings down by the beach =)

-phil-
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well
    im not done haha

i havent went into fill out any of the buildings yet.
    they're going to have cracks and windows and shape to them adn stuff.

i just uploaded it to get some early crits.
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I think that was what he just gave you. I don't understand the silo thingie, why such a large arm thing to hold up such a tiny platform that has wires holding it up as well.
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    Nice idea. I think this has some potential, should be interesting to see some colour on the buildings. I agree that the shapes could be a tad less geometric, but it's probably not gonna be as noticeable once there's some lighting in the scene. The composition is more static than it has to be though, right now it feels very formal. You could try adding more space to the left to enhance that unbalanced feel, and/or lower the horizon a bit.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty promising, I agree there should be something on the left though. What about a big bridge coming in from the left corner?
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    reminds me of that HL2 level Lost Coast. Looks pretty awesome so far!
  • wester
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    I think that was what he just gave you. I don't understand the silo thingie, why such a large arm thing to hold up such a tiny platform that has wires holding it up as well.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's ment for spacecraft to land on it.

The arm thing insists taht it used to be mobil, but the wires were installed after time to help support the now stationary arm in holding up the craft.
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Wester, I like where it's going, but I think if you break up some of the negative space on the left side of the page, and add a bit more foreground love, I think it'll definatly shape up. Thats my two cents.
  • culturedbum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    culturedbum polycounter lvl 17
    Awesome, reminds me of Myst for some reason...