Home Full time/Part time work

Part-time 2D pixel artist in Seattle, USA

We're looking for a talented entry-level 2D pixel artist to work in Seattle, Washington for 8 hours each week on new games that Caravel Games will be making. Caravel has developed and sold award-winning shareware games since 2003 including DROD: King Dugan's Dungeon, DROD: Journey to Rooted Hold, and DROD: The City Beneath. You can learn more about the company at our website: http://caravelgames.com

The position will involve:
* Creating in-game art that has technical as well as aesthetic requirements. Much of this artwork will be very small in size and require pixel-level editing.
* Creating art used for website and game marketing materials.

Based on preferences and demonstrated abilities of the artist, the position may later be extended to include:
* Creating larger illustrations for print, including product packaging.
* Defining and documenting a production pipeline that may later be used for other artists.
* Designing prototype screens for games during early development.

Candidate requirements:
* A portfolio of work that includes examples of 2D pixel art.
* Proficiency in one or more of the following: Adobe Photoshop, Corel PhotoPaint, or The Gimp.
* High school graduate.
* Solid reading, writing, and verbal skills. You'll need to work from detailed requirements, written and verbal.
* Past history of employment or contract work, i.e. this shouldn't be your first job.
* Willing to work with supervision at our office in Ballard, Washington for one 8-hour shift each week. Sorry, but we won't consider off-site candidates.
* United States citizen or currently have legal status which allows employment in the United States.

Candidate preferences:
* Previous employment or contract work in graphic design or software industry.
* Work that has appeared in electronic games.
* Involvement in personal or volunteer creative projects, with an emphasis on seeing the project through to completion.

You would be paid $10/hour as an employee. The office is shared with a company that makes wedding stationery. This office is in a small building in the residential section of Ballard about half a mile from the downtown area. The atmosphere is really relaxed, although when clients are visiting, you have to be a little quiet. There's free drinks and snacks. Parking is ample. Free hosting on our web server is available.

What's it like to work for Caravel? Well, for starters you would be our second or third paid employee, so we're new at this. We don't have a lot of money, so you'll hear some demoralizing cheapness every now and then, i.e. "We don't really have time for you to draw extra sparkly bits on the magic slippers. Let's just move on to the next batch of work. How long's that gonna take?" And I keep saying "we", but really you're just going to be talking to me, Erik, for the time being, although you'll meet my lovely wife and her employees (she runs the wedding stationery business that the office is shared with). The other people on the Caravel team are spread out over the face of the planet. Caravel has a history of being generous in giving credit to artists and other contributors to our games, and we will tell people that this artwork they are enjoying was made by you. If you've got some other art-related gigs that you want to promote, i.e. your work appearing in some new graphic novel or exhibition, you can probably get some attention from our enthusiastic player community. We want you to be a superstar, not a faceless drone--that's part of the indie aesthetic. You'll have a lot of freedom to come up with your own visual ideas, but at times, you'll find the technical requirements constricting, i.e. you may have to draw those sparkly magic slippers inside of a 22x22 pixel box. If you need to feel like you're working for a big company doing big things, this won't be the job for you. If you want to work with a few unglamorous people that love making games, and have a looser leash than you might have starting out at the bottom of the EA art department, then yeah... Caravel. Do it!

In you are interested in this position, please e-mail erikh@caravelgames.com with a resum