Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Online Portfolio is Up!

I have been working at my current company for quite some time now (more than 3 years). I'm ready to move on and explore new territories, hence the portfolio site.

Feel free to browse around and any suggestions are highly welcome. grin.gif

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Your layout is weak because it's split into so many sections. You need TWO, portfolio and resume

Portfolio could be 6-10 of your BEST works aimed at the position you seek. Your best pieces may be the airport terminal, clinic, flower stall.

You're only as good as your worst piece. Are people going to remember your nice looking airport terminal? No, there going to remember you as the goof that submitting stuff like this: http://www.freshcharcoal.com/siteGraphics/sketches/sketches04.jpg
    Sure, most of us have tons of quick little sketches like this, but we don't put them in our portfolio. Personally, I'd remove the 2d section completely. There are some OK works there, traditional skills are great to have, but are not what employers are looking for in game development.

Take some time to go back and simplify this to a portfolio/resume and clean out all the fluff.
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    I had to scroll horizontal when viewing some of your stuff, so you may want to rework that a bit or scale down your images. (Horizontal scrolling is evil!)

Looking nice otherwise though. (Taking into consideration what cholden said)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I really like all of the practical pieces you have. They show that you have worked with a game engine before, and are comfortable producing content for it. It also shows that you have experience working on team efforts. (kudos on crediting the rest of your team)

I have to disagree on removing the 2D section. Any employer worth working for IS going to care about your traditional skills. I'd just work on polishing some of those sketches up. They are just sketches at the moment. A good concept is worth fleshing out.

I do agree on the scrolling and scaling. You need to go back and crop/resize some of your images so that they are to a consistent scale for presentation. Also, you're going to want to consider scaling down the overall size of your images, a good portfolio should be able to fit full-screen even on lower-end computers. I usually try to get all of my websites to fit comfortably at 800 x 600. A site optimized for that size will still look good on a screen running at a higher resolution.
  • Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    What does your company do? My was kinda expecting more when I read about your 3 years experience. There's very few pieces in your portfolio and they don't live up to my expetaction >.>

The 2D section itself is not bad to have. But I think it's the quality of the pieces you're showing. Your very rough sketches aren't showing off your good skill.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    a company will care about your 2d if it is awesome. in this case the 2d is the weakest part and not a single piece is enhancing the portfolio. everything in a portfolio should be awesome.
  • creamsoda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good stuff! Good stuff! Very constructive you guys! This is exactly why I'm here.

IMO, as a digital artist, 3d or not, it's important to show your traditional art background, if you have any. After all, computer is just another medium to express your art. But I totally agree with you guys that some my sketches are too rough to be on the portfolio.

@Tulkamir and Richard
    Thanks for the comments. As for the image size, most of them do not exceed 800 pixel wide, which I think is the minimum size for portfolio images. I would assume most game companies who will be looking at my stuff would have at least 17" LCD monitors which are mostly 1280 x 1024 no?

@ppenguin
    This company that I'm working for right now provides virtual reality simulations and trainings for medical and military purposes. Some people call it a serious games company, games not solely for entertainment. I was hired as a 3D artist. But due to the small team size, limited budget, and short development time, I had to do pretty much everything from concept drawing to sound effects, quickly. A simple concept sketch would be enough for me to start modeling, and probably that's why my sketches are less refined. Everything was self taught at work. When we were done with one prototype/project there was no time to push it to the next level as we had to start on with a new project. And the cycle repeated. Things are getting better now though, as the company is expanding. I'm not trying to give excuses for not pushing myself further, but that's just the nature of this business.