polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Turoid polycounter lvl 17
Heya guys,

I'm going to buy a new system this summer. I got this configuration right now:

Intel® Core™ 2 Duo E6600
Asus P5N32-E SLI
G.E.I.L. 2 GB DDR2-800 Kit

I already have a case with powersupply (I know about the high Watt requirements for the 8800 GTX) etc..

But now.. I have to pick my video card..

This are my options: (Yes I prefer XFX)

XFX 8600 GT XXX 620 Mhz
XFX 8600 GTS/720 XT
XFX 8800 GTS 640/320 MB

Alright.. Which one to choose? What I want is.. NOT the best video card. I want the one that fits me the most. Im not going to use windows vista yet. I want to play my DX 9 games on 'high' setting.. which card is the best for me? I'm not a best of the best graphic guru, But I want my games to look 'good' with proper FPS. I'm talking about HL2, AA, D3 etc.

Whats your advice for me smile.gif? Thank you!

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think any of those cards you mentioned should run the games you mentioned at full detail, 4xAA, at a solid minimum 30fps, when combined with the Core 2 Duo and 2GB RAM. I would suspect that a high-end 7900 would manage that pretty well too.
  • Turoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Turoid polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks MoP, I think I go for the 8600 GT then, it's the cheapest of the three. And if it works out for me then that is great smile.gif !
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Be careful though, it's not just wattage that matters with the 8800's. The amperage is just as important. Some will require around 32amps at startup, while most PSU's will only dish out up to 28amps. So pick your PSU carefully.