Home General Discussion

Church of England vs Sony

Replies

• Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Don't be childish? WTF!

I'm glad KeyserSoze was intelligent enough to understand what I meant by my comments. Religion and the beliefs in it is the number 1 reason for wars and violence throughout history. You can't argue that.

It continues today all over the world and will never end because everyone thinks that there religion is the ONLY religion.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    i dont really wanna get into the actual debate but i do think its very very clumpsy of sony legal to miss up on something like this.

Christ we are hardly allowed to make fictional churches/mosques for bad company cus it might upset someone
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Motives, from the sound of it Sony did get some sort of permission. If they so much as said "Can we use this cathedral in a video game" they did their job. If the church had a problem with different types of video games it was their job to ask about it BEFORE giving permission.
  • Penzer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Penzer polycounter lvl 17
    I haven't seen anyone posting this in this thread yet, but CNN is having a field day with their headlines on this. Part of the Joystiq.com article on CNN's headlines reads:

So, that's that, until dialog begins between Sony and Church of England; however, while the two groups work out their issues, CNN's headline writer is having a field day with this story. The best example is the first story they ran about the Church's issues. The headline reads: Cathedral shootout game under fire. Who knew that Resistance was all about a cathedral shootout? Then their latest story had the headline: Church wants cash for 'sick' game. Funny thing is that the word "sick" never shows up once in a quote, it's merely a word supposedly used by the church to describe the situation, but there's no attribution. Get ready kids, the mainstream media might spin this story off its axis.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Well, the building also isn't the one who's filing the lawsuit, and the building isn't what's being criticized here... and to be fair, I don't think anyone was blaming the building for the crusades, inquisition, etc, etc. They were blaming a particular religion, the representatives of which are the one's filing the lawsuit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nope - you're confusing the Roman Catholic Church with the Church of England. The Anglican Church wasn't around during the crusades and had no role in the inquisition.
  • TomDunne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TomDunne polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Don't be childish? WTF!

I'm glad KeyserSoze was intelligent enough to understand what I meant by my comments. Religion and the beliefs in it is the number 1 reason for wars and violence throughout history. You can't argue that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure I can, but what would be the point? Would anything I say convince you otherwise? And even if it did, would that change your opinion on religion? I'm guessing not.

[ QUOTE ]
    It continues today all over the world and will never end because everyone thinks that there religion is the ONLY religion.

[/ QUOTE ]

"Everyone" thinks that? Jesse, you speak in more extreme terms about religion than any Christian I know. Seriously, you've got more fanatical zeal in your anti-religion than anyone I know who goes to church every Sunday. "Everyone" eats, sleeps, shits and breathes - that's all that can be said about "everyone."
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok so the church wasn't around for the Crusades. My bad. I was wrong. I'll admit it. No problems on that.

As for everything else. Yeah maybe I'm getting a little carried away by saying "everyone" but seriously it sounds like Sony asked for permission. Got it and now the church is pissed about it. Well the game came out over 6 months ago and they are just now bringing this up? Why the long wait? At least Jack Thompson is complaining on launch day or before the games actually come out.

It just all sounds fishy. Sony right or wrong. Church right or wrong. It's all a little foolish if you ask me.

But come on man how long is this shit going to go back and forth? I just think the churches demands are a little bit too much.

Anyways I don't see this going anywhere. Sony is not going to change the game and I don't see them pulling it off the shelves.

Now whats next? Someone gonna be pissed off because Stonehenge was in Guitar Hero 2 with a giant UFO and it's offensive to them because they don't believe in UFOs?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i wanna know which priest played through the game and got pissed off after hours of MURDERING ALIENS only to find he's been doing it in his own church.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    i wanna know which priest played through the game and got pissed off after hours of MURDERING ALIENS only to find he's been doing it in his own church.

[/ QUOTE ]

haha no kidding. They aren't against the game. Just when it's in their church. Like hey I don't care that these people are killing others as long as it's not on my street. Whatever.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    and this is why i hate religion and the people that push it like it's the only way to live. The church is hurting for money so they thought this would be an easy win. haha Good luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

hate is a strong word.

Even a fool can see that the church don't want to be associated with guns and violence. Good on them, I hope they can make something good out of this. Games are far too killing obsessed anyway. Break out the logic probe.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok well maybe not hate but just a dislike.

At least with all the hype about this around here everyone has forgotten about Paris Hilton.

What if we had been shooting millions of Paris Hilton clones and the war brought us to the churches front gates?

Maybe Sony could say something like the soldiers in the game were just trying to protect what was left of the beautiful church before the aliens took it over and wiped it out. You know butter them up a bit. smile.gif
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Jesse, you need to spend less time on the boards man. Seriously. Reading back through this thread and noting that you quote anyone over enthusiastically If they even so much as remotely gel with anything you're trying to say makes for extremely painful reading. You've generally come across as a decent, rational human being up to now, but you're starting to push your luck. Regardless of the exact details surrounding any permissions misunderstanding, regardless of religious beliefs, any rational, intelligent person should have been able to predict that the usage of the church in this fashion had the potential to upset them. At this point, without access to all the facts, it's THAT simple.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    Daz is right and i think i am the only person only these boards that knows exactly what is going here, sadly i can't say anything about the lawsuit. sony wants to handle this thing and rightly so, i am sure anything i would say could and will be completely taken out of context anyway.. If any of you listen to the insomniac pod cast there might be some info regarding this in the next one.. until then my lips have to be sealed..
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    sadly i can't say anything about the lawsuit... until then my lips have to be sealed..

[/ QUOTE ]

Except to me. I'll also know what's going on. :-)

poop.gif
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Jesse, you need to spend less time on the boards man. Seriously. Reading back through this thread and noting that you quote anyone over enthusiastically If they even so much as remotely gel with anything you're trying to say makes for extremely painful reading. You've generally come across as a decent, rational human being up to now, but you're starting to push your luck.

[/ QUOTE ]

Daz, THANK YOU. Yeah you are right. I think I got a little carried away and I'm glad you posted that. I was starting to become quite an asshole about this whole thing without even knowing the details and that's pretty immature on my part.
    I think I let my beliefs on what I think shine a little too much on this topic without actually knowing what the whole story is.

Sorry for being a DICK
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    take a nice walk outside. get some art done. hooray! thread closed.
This discussion has been closed.