Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fireman

Hey fellas,

I'm doing a character for a fire fighting simulator. Wanted a little feedback it looks a bit too plain to me and I've been looking at it for too long. Color, Spec and Norm maps.
Pants.jpg

No feet! No feet! grin.gif

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    overall it looks really good. Very nice texture work, good materials and nice details.

Crits:
    - Hands seam awkward, the index finger looks broken? I would separate a the gloves from the arms and break the silhouette up a little. Either pinch the wrist to mimic the sleeve going into the glove or the glove sitting outside the sleeve.
    - The head seems a little big for the torso, giving it a SLIGHT adolescent appearance.
    - In the side view his chin looks kind of long. I think its the lowest vert on his chin giving it that appearance, if you turned a few edges and moved that vert up it would smooth that out and help keep his chin the proper size when he moves his head around.
    - His right thumb is doing something very wrong at the tip. The placement of the thumb is kind of unnatural and will be hard to animate. An easier pose would be to place the hand in a semi-C pose. This will make gripping things MUCH easier to do. Also the fingers look too long for the hands but that could be the thumb position.

Good stuff all around, just a few issues to iron out =)
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Another thing I notice that the body seem tightened up too much in the middle as if he's wearing corsets in there...and it's looking like so because of the head size as mentioned...texturing is good though.
  • zenarion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    zenarion polycounter lvl 17
    this guy is not manly enough to be a firefighter O_O
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    They often wear fire retardant underclothes.

The jacket is much too shapely, let it hang more. The jackets usually fold over covering their fastenings.

I can't share my ref, but there is plenty here:

http://www.flickr.com/search/?w=all&q=fireman+new+york&m=text
  • Spark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spark polycounter lvl 18
    Tofu, I have to go with what the others are saying, as at the moment the jacket is hanging like a tight t-shirt, rather than a heavy material jacket that firefighters wear, and as Rick stated, they have alot of underclothes as well to help protect them. I would suggest bulking up the body as well, for the head to me is way to large compared to the rest of him, also the hands to the forarm are to long and feel off. You have a good start on this, just need to rework some of those areas and it will be good to go.

Spark
  • Tulkamir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tulkamir polycounter lvl 18
    Seems to me that the clothes need to be much more baggy/bulky in general. The uniform in general doesn't seem to say firefighter to me, but that may be in part due to region. (I know that where I'm from that's not what they look like. My dad is a firefighter, so I'm used to seeing em)

And as was mentioned, the head is definitely too large, and the body not bulky enough. (May seem a stereotype, but remember, a firefighter needs to be able to carry people who weight more than 200lbs out of a building. They can't be scrawny little wussy boys. wink.gif)
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Good work, but i would re-work the torso area, you probably can make a better ratio of polygons/silhouette/topology than this.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    crazybump normal map?
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I am used to wearing a Firefighters gear also (ok not exactly, ours is blue but thats about the only difference; I am in the German THW organisation as a drinkwater supply technician), and especially the jacket is way bulkier and more loose fitting than that.
    We also have a ligher work uniform that kind of resembles the jacket you currently have, but as that one really dosn't offer much protection it would be useless to wear a heavy helmet like your model does smile.gif
  • tofugorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig-thanks smile.gif

pilang- the ref I have is wearing a pretty tight belt in the middle- the ref of the guy it's on is like 5ft6in and scrawny too!

zenarion- your mom is manly enough to be a firefighter o_O

Spark- good call on the hands, thanks

conte- some of it is- I use the CB for details I don't want to model mostly. I broke CB by installing LEXIviewer for Ogre3d engine. Pretty sure I need to reinstall XP to get it to work again frown.gif.

JKMakowa- I think the ref I have I think is wearing the lighter work uniform that you mention. I just figured they did things differently in france *shrug*
  • tofugorilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Updated version
    firemanDetail_09.jpg