Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio Pimp

Ott
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Ott polycounter lvl 13
This is my last week of school....and as the onslaught of looking for a better job continues, I figured it was time for a bit of a rework on the ol' website.

I'll probably change up a couple of the props...some of them aren't that strong and I'll have more time after graduation to work on some new stuff.

I work as a 3d artist now, but it's a small studio doing 2-gens-ago-stuff and I haven't really been able to get caught up with all the latest high-fangled shit that's out there.

At any rate, any suggestions are welcome...but I probably won't be able to really implement any big changes for another couple weeks as per graduation nonsense....but anything you don't like about it I'm all ears. I wanted to simplist and easiest website in the world...think I got fairly close crazy.gif

Replies

• Panupat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Panupat polycounter lvl 15
    Those are rock solid works Ott! The lay out is fine for me, nothing fancy but very clear and easy to navigate. I want to see more wires and texture sheet but that's about it.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Don. It would be nice if you would get on aim more so I can keep in touch with you. Glad to see your stuff came together at the end of school. The ship looks great. BUT where are the wires?

-More closeups on the ship
    -Wires
    -maybe for the props put them on their own sheet that shows the wires, texture maps and the full model
    -Maybe show some views on the boat from a players perspective.

I'll probably have some more later for ya but anyways. Congrats man and this is solid work.

Where are you applying?
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    Hey!

Noice work there Ott!

few points as Jesse has said please post wires,polycount and texture flats .

The initial page is good and welllayed out ,but I don't like single images popping up into new windows.
    id make a single page for each model with the wires and a couple of finished shots on each of them.

good stuff and good hunting!

John
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

ugh...AIM...slowing people down for 15 years strong.

The worst part about those chat programs is when Im doing something the constant "Ok, gotta stop and type some shit" over and over and over...I'm amazed anyone gets anything done >< Sorta like...forums....;P

I've actually got more work to do on the ship...there's about 1,000 ropes that are missing right now, and my final plan is to do a bigass page showing off all those goodies that you talked about with wires, better lighting, polycounts, etc...I put like 9 months into the bastard so far...and you can bet that when I'm done Im gonna show it off right. I'm gonna get a few of them rendered and framed too for some of my ship enthusiast friends ;P

As for the popup window thing...I'm very torn about that. I've always felt like that was the easiest and least confusing navigation methods for portfolios. Clicking back and forth can get you lost, java scripts never seem to work right, rollovers take longer to load...until I see a flawless / simple method (That isn't shared by everyone else!) and I get a larger / better body of work....the simpleton method of java popups has always worked for me.

I guess I've always been unsure about the "right balance" of how much is too much when it comes to your 3d portfolio. I know that people look at it and don't have all day to sit and stare at all your numbers and stats and 10 renders of the same prop...but I do agree that I am missing some key stats on some of those props. Some of them are missing wires / textures period.

Do you guys think you should show the UVW layout overlay in your texture sheet?

I've always felt that showing the flat texture doesn't say much for your UVW skill, but at the same time, showing wires over the top of a texture detract from the overall quality of your texture itself.

Thoughts?
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Oh, and Jess, as far as applications go, I've sent quite a few out lately...but I've only got 1 solid lead so far. Allegedly the head dudes have seen my stuff and want to bring me in for an interview according to one of the lead artists...but I haven't heard anything set in stone so far.

I was also picked to be 1/3 students at our school to give a 15 min presentation at the PAC meeting this week, and there's supposed to be a bunch of dudes from various SoCal studios...hence me wanting to make sure my shit was tip-top before my presentations just in case they wanna come back and check me out ;P

We are supposed to have face time with these guys too, other than the standard "Hey look at how great our students are - now get the F' outta here while we drink" PAC meetings in the past...but we will see.

Here's hopin!
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    Don, good work on some of the props for sure, I'm not a huge fan of the pop up window thing (Because it always gets lost.) However you have some very solid props. I think that you should show the UV layout. (Something I feel that I'm awful at.) What I usually do is dink around with the render to texture thing, because it usually overlays the uv's and then go back into photoshop with the UV layout and Overlay it, I like how it comes out. Then again I could be a complete nub at presentation. But whatever works for you I guess.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    Don! Good to see you posting on here man. And Congrats on graduating! Your work has improved since I last saw. I'm impressed! I won't bother re-stating the same stuff that others have about your site. My suggestion would be that you have the oportunity to show a hint of style with your page, and it might be nice to see. It doesn't have to be anything flashy mind you... but you've got skills, I know you can put something of a presentation together with the site itself.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Beside what's mentioned...great use of colors.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    would just like to pop in and say how much i enjoyed the colors on the sailing ship in your portfolio. really vivid paint that interacts nicely with the overall scheme.

portfolio content looks solid and most importantly, there are no distractions and everything is clearly presented. nice work smile.gif
  • cyborgguineapig
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cyborgguineapig polycounter lvl 14
    Horrible work...

Jk, you know what I really thinkgrin.gif
  • creamsoda
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what's up PLAYER!! Good to see you here and glad to see your new site. Definitely like the new layout over the old one, centered and aligned. I also don't mind the pop up window that closes with a click. Big hands on the Not-A-Pirate-Ship ship, top-notch texture works. Can't wait to see more closeup renders.

I'll have my site up soon, too. You just watch...

john
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks Artur....I think grin.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    don't put your phone number on there. or I'll prank call you.
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    The simplest would just be listing everything at once, or as a "view all" link with a total kb size posted next to it. Could be an option.

GOOD THINGS:
    I love the ship, the tower and the house.
    The ship has some great wood textures and the extra props are great. Nice detailing on the ship model too. It needs some local weathering on stuff on the outside of the hull that are constantly exposed to the water, extra peeling pathces of paint, some spots of green algue and a few branecles would look sweet. AO!
    Nice texture on the tower, looks varied yet believable. Some more weathering on the roof would make it look even better. Fix that mirror seem on the upperfloor outer wall.
    I don't have a whole lot to say about the house except that I think that you can polish a couple of the tiny flat metal and wood props, they looks a little too simple. Great dirt and nice use of angle to hide the tiling rust spot on the roof smile.gif.

You have some solid work here, and I think that it can stand a little pruning to give an even better impression of your ability to create stuff at a high and even standard.
    I would start by spending some time on the trailer, cannon and the living room.

BAD THINGS:

The trailer has some huge rust stains that looks really out of place. Try to scale them down to a more sensible size. A suble AO bake wouldn't be out of place either.
    The cannon has some really terrible metal texture, there is no way that you can have that much noise in your metal when you give it that small of a share of the uv space. Some weird choices in how you have spent your tris, the metal hold in the back of the cannon look like it has more tris than all the wheels and small details put together.
    And finally the living room. Was there some kind of course requirement that you couldn't use multiple lights? The single weak light coming from the back of the room isn't doing your scene any favors, there is no mood in the picture. Get some more lightning in there and/or bake some AO.

What I would remove completly or rework heavily:
    The guns, they are no way near the quality of the some of your other work that you have produced in the same amout of time (the tower). Flat, boring metal, not enough details or color variation. The texture doesn't have several of the concepts smaller details, making the weapons look empty.
    The mixer is quite boring, scratches look weird, seems to be way many of them and they are too evenly distributed, no shadows.
    The Gps. Poly-wastage on the cylinder on the top, flat buttons, everything looks like the same materials, with the same overlays.
    The broom has a really, really weird normal map on the bristles of the broom, they look a piece of solid wood or a cracker...

General things:
    Bigger images! 800x600 is small! Compress them a little more and up the resolution of your renders. I especially want the see bigger picture of the house and the tower.
    AO bakes! Spend the extra 15-30 min it takes, it is worth it.
    Wires, poly- and texturebudgets for everything! A few render with just spec and normal applied could be nice.
    Get some better lightning setups in your renders, much of your stuff looks unappealing due to the shoddy lightning
    AO! AO! AO! AO!
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Solid stuff Ott. I like it! smile.gif

Good points here, especially what Cubik is saying about bigger images, and also he's correct about the mixer, the scratches don't make much sense - if it's meant to be brushed aluminium then your approach could be improved, if it's just meant to be scratched metal then you should refine the scratches just to those areas which would get worn in that way.

In general I think you could afford to show more stuff with specular and normal maps, while most of the modelling and texturing on the site is very competent, I'm noticing a lack of obvious material variation in shininess... everything is presented as a very matte material. Play around more with contrasts of shiny against matte, it's much more interesting especially when seen in motion smile.gif

Good work though.
  • Ott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ott polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks for the feedback so far guys. Me and Cubik actually see pretty much eye to eye on just about everything :P

As for the lighting/spec/normals...

The classwork is mostly designed to see what we can do within a specific amount of time with a specific budget. Obviously that is no excuse for why I couldn't go back and do more, but for the sake of showing speed and competence I posted the timeframes.

I do agree that some of them could use some more touchups and revisits. The rusty trailer and the living room were both things I wanted to go back and touchup again. I find the lighting and most of the textures to be lacking and I really want to revisit that. Some of the props I will just get rid of altogether once I have some new things to replace them.

There is no excuse for simple texture mistakes or unappealing finals, but that's what learning is all about wink.gif

Oh...and as far as AO and AO overlays...I did that on a bunch of the stuff in my portfolio, but definitely not all of it. I'm still not seeing the sort of AO results I want on everything I do and definitely can see how much better it can make things look. If anyone has a tutorial on awesome AO I'm all ears. The one I have mostly been following is

http://everflow.com/support/tutorials/AO/Everflow_AmbientOcclusion1.html

Thanks for all the ideas guys...every crit is a learning tip for the next best thing!
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    More Next-Gen stuff would help i think but you've got a solid portfolio here man. You wont be looking for long i wouldn't think. smile.gif