Home Technical Talk

Unwrapping problem

jaalto
polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
jaalto polycounter lvl 13
I'm sure this is a noobie problem, but...

I decided to model very simple coffin so I could train texturing.

I tried to weld some faces in uvw unwrap editor, but there are some "frozen" vertices. I've painted the problem area in red. I cant select the vertices from that polygon but I can select it as a face or edges. All the other vertices I can select (as you can see selected nr "2" vertice in screenshot)

Any ideas what might cause the problem? confused.gif

uv.jpg

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Check the bottom of the Unwrap editor window for a little pad lock icon. You might have inadvertently locked those verts?

Also they are already properly welded together what are you trying to weld them to?
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the tip, but padlock icon is inactive. I managed to target weld those because it was possible to select edges.
    I forgot to mention that I'm using chuggnuts unwrap tools 1.4. It is possible that I've checked something from that toolbar. I just cant find it smirk.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I think this is because sometimes when planar mapping, the W value gets shot off to a crazy amount which makes it unselectable because it's so "far away" (even though it looks fine in UV view).
    You might be able to fix it by re-mapping the offending polygon, or it might be worth trying to change your view from UV to VW or UW (drop-down button in the top row of Edit UVW window), selecting the poly and scaling it down a lot on the W axis.
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In could be that you just needed to increase the weld threshold? Down in the lower right there is a weld setting you can adjust, you might need increase that number so it widened the area it looks for verts to weld.

Ahh chuggnuts tools, well that could be a problem if you are using max9? I didn't install chuggnuts tools when I switched to 9 because most of the features where finally included. There are only two features it has that max doesn't (that I would use) Align and offset. I found other scripts that do just that and don't dork out the interface, install legacy tools and screw with undo's.

I found em on scriptspot.com
  • jaalto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I owe you beers!

Mop; You were right smirk.gif. It was mapped weirdly, _very_ far away... remapped it and its now ok. Thanks!

Vig: Thanks for the tips and the link! I'm using chuggnuts with max9 mostly because im in love with the align tools. What script are you using as a replacement? blush.gif

edit:
    It was quick planar map which mapped it "incorrectly". Align to view for example and everything is ok.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry to hijack the thread but that weirdly very far away bug happens to me alot when I do unfold wrapping with the normalize ticked on, ticked off it doesn't do that but then it's usually 20x as big so you need to scale for every thing, which is annoying and inefficient. Is there some fix available on this?