Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

NBA Street DLC

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
malcolm polycount sponsor
Finally this has been released on xbox live, it's free if anyone owns the game and wants a new court to play on. I built it quite a while ago but I can finally show it. This court is the cursed court and was passed around between like 5 different artists until it was finally passed to me and I ended up finishing it with some help from 2 other guys. Direct link to the gallery below.

ruckerdlcthumb_17.jpg

Replies

• Keg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keg polycounter lvl 18
  • beancube
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beancube polycounter lvl 17
    looks great, and has a good feel to it too.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work Malcolm. All the trees shadows are my favorite. It's all very consistent, which is increasingly harder to do in next-gen, it seems, so kudos on that.

poop.gif
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    wow ! fucking realistic ! congrats man ! ull proly say its not possible, but care to show show shots of the props n stuff ?
  • IronHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IronHawk polycounter lvl 10
    Great work Malcolm! This all has a really good feel to it. The bike is stylin.
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Astrofra polycounter lvl 15
    This is just one of the most amazing realtime environments I've seen in a while. Every screenshot is just perfect.

I noticed that the shadows seems to be arealight-generated, I assume you achieved this with a specific baking process. However, how do the shadows interact with the players, inside the game ? Are the shadows baked into a dedicated lightmap, or did you baked everything into the same color map ?
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    Fantastic stuff indeed. I love how natural the lighting is.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    Very lovely. Impressive!
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Stunning work. Some of those thumbnails could easily be confused for photos.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Those are some next-gen depth maps you got there Malcolm! laugh.gif

Nicely done dude.
  • pliang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pliang polycounter lvl 17
    Those aren't realistic, its surrealistic, which I dig just as much.

How is it cursed?
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Outstanding work, Malcolm.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Immaculate work as always malcolm.
  • StJoris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wonderfull feel to it, it feels real
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    As ever Malcolm, Brilliant - Really inspiring.

I'm always inspired to go make a basketball court with all the details you manage to squeeze in.. although I never actually do.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    dude you have an awesome sense of color. this is gorgeous stuff.

you could be a genious. check that.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    that's what i am calling next gen,
    cool stuff, malcolm.
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! Did you do the lighting as well?
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Ace work Malcolm. I love seeing the environment pimpage in here.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    I get a really strong sense of time and place with these man, thumbs up!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow the responce for this new court is substantially better than when I showed the other 3 before.

Poop, I'm glad you like the shadows this was our big next gen feature and is ultimately what made our game look different than everything else that had shipped before us. Skate is using the same lighting tech so you will see some nice stuff there too, it will be at a lower res due to the open world but it still looks quite nice with all the ao and soft shadows.

Johny, I actually don't have any of this work on my home pc I neglected to take it home with me, we stored the models in a proprietary format too so I doubt I could even open a court and save it as .ma any more. The props are just standard shit, nothing special, pretty low poly.

IronHawk, I didn't make the bike actually but Alan will be happy to know you like it.

Astrofra, yes all the lighting is baked, Ryan actually wrote a raytracer/baker from the ground up for this game. Things to note about the light baker are directional lights with area light shadows, ambient occlusion cast and recieved from everything, including through alpha channels. We unwrapped the whole world into a second uv set so we could still tile the textures without breaking the lighting. Going to next gen was interesting we lost some really simple features and gained some complex ones. One of the features we lost from last year was baked shadows affecting the players, no one seemed to notice though.

AdamBrome, there's no depth maps, it's all raytraced. Only the characters cast real time depth maps.

pliang, the colour correction and lighting are stylized but everything else was meant to be photo real. The theme of the game was supposed to be a nostalgic memory of the court from the NBA players who grew up on them. Faded 70's photography was used heavily when the art director was designing the look of the stylization. The court is cursed because it kept falling behide schedule and artist kept failing to complete it so it got passed around, the same thing happened last year too with the exact same court. Basically I had to rebuild almost the whole thing from scratch when it landed on me due to all the errors and high polycount it was in when I got it.

John_Warner, that was random seeing you today downtown, I'm glad you like the colour correction we got slammed by some reviewers, they didn't get it and wanted to turn it off.

SouL, yep I did all the lighting for this one. The outdoor courts are pretty straight forward, it takes one day to light one of these after it's unwrapped. The lighting turned out to be the easiest part of the process it was building all the content and unwrapping it all for light mapping that took forever.
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thx Malcolm for the comprehensive answer ! That's what I was expecting more or less, as Mental Ray's AO for example, doesn't "see" alpha channels. Once again, it shows how much a dedicated tool developper can leverage the quality of graphics.

Regarding the shadows / players, I'm not that suprised it doesn't interact.
    However, I think it could be possible to cast dedicated shadows on the players only, with a set of very simple projection map. I think the XBox can handle it easily, and you wouldn't have to use precise projection map, as people won't even notice the trick.

Well, just an idea. Thanks again for sharing !!!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Fucking depth? I'm never replying in the morning again! I meant detail maps... DAMMIT. That was suppose to be an inside joke.

/end fuckup.exe!
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Astrofra, yeah we had that tech working on nba street v3 on the ps2. Characters were shadowed by the baked world. It was a time constraint more than anything else, the character renderer quit before finishing all the features. Pretty much the whole team quit at some point on that game, if you look in the credits under additional art you can see all the people who quit. I think the number of quits is almost equal to the number of programmers in the credits. Adam now your comment makes sense. But it's detail normal maps for the win on the next game.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    detail normal white dot maps, next gen
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Post deleted by Astrofra
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • simplyrude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome work Malcolm. Very beautiful rendition.
  • euclidius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    euclidius polycounter lvl 17
    hey great work man- I also liked your first post for this game- really nice lighting