Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My art, part 2

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
movento polycounter lvl 17
here's some work i've been doing,texturing some head's and trying to get better.
The first one is a revived version of the model i posted the first time.i reworked the topolgy and redid the texture(i still have lots of work on it).
marcelftwez4.jpg
and the texture flat:
flatjc5.th.jpg
the second models isn't mine (It's Johny's Vader SDK,great model btw wink.gif ) but the texture is. This is also work in progress,i hope i'll finish it because i have the annoying habit of not finishing things.
ayeeeecb6.jpg

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    On the first one, you might be going cartonny, but if not the the mouth and nose are too big on the face for the size of the head. Not by much, mind.

On the second one the eyes look upside down or inside out. Or maybe both.

Quick eye tip. Not EXACT, but a good ballpark for you - the upper eyelid touches the top of the pupil, the lower eyelid just misses the bottom of the iris
  • Em.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Em. polycounter lvl 17
    Agree with what Rick said.

On top of that upping the contrast on both of these would help a lot, like on the eye wrinkles, they don't just have creases like that, but bulges in between the wrinkles as well, same goes for the jowly parts of the mouth. Everything is feeling very soft right now, don't be afraid of contrast.

I like that you put a shadow below the eyelid on the sdk, things like that will make your textures read better and give them depth. The nose looks a little too red to me though, like he's got the gin blossoms, been suckin back on grandpa's old cough medicine, unless that's what you're going for.

Keep it up, you're definitely improving. grin.gif
  • The Umbrella Man
    Never a good idea to use the photoshop grass brush to do facial hair with. It just doesn't look right. On the rest of the model the shading looks good. Just don't take a shortcut with the facial hair.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry for not updating in awhile. Thanks for the comments.
    I followed your crits on the eyes and nose,Rick.I used a photo as reference and the mouth really was that big.I tried to paint the hair,but it turned out pretty bad.Any tips on that? I also have a question;is there really no way to view alpha maps in the viewport,without having to render the mesh?I'm using Maya 7.0.
    6c32zv4.jpg
  • Baddcog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Baddcog polycounter lvl 9
    Not really sure about maya, in Max I'll make a quick jpeg (greyscale)out of the alpha channel and use it as an opacity map in the material.
  • PolyPutty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you can view alpha maps in the viewport, it just really sucks in 7.0 since depth sorting is horrible in it.
  • movento
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    still working on that model...
    rawrbm7.jpg
    and i almost finished an old low poly model..most of you probably know who this is.
    krillinzj2.jpg