Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CosmoGuy needs help

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
jibowski polycounter lvl 11
Hi,
I'm trying to make a lowpoly normal mapped version of this 3D model, but because it is one of my first try, i'd like to know what do you think about the polyflow of the lowres version.

before going further, I wanted to know if i made some noob mistakes ..:o

thx!

astro_hi_low.jpg

Replies

• HonkyPunch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HonkyPunch polycounter lvl 18
    As far as I know, it looks fine, but i'm pretty much a noob too.
    maybe some more divisions in the arms?
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Astrofra polycounter lvl 15
    Hmmm, maybe if I were you, I would add some extra polygons, where the normal map won't be enough to define the volumes and silhouette :

astro_hi_low_fra.jpg

But someone else might have a different opinion. Anyone ? smile.gif
  • jibowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx very much for your advices !
    I will modify the low res version and maybe add some features on the hi version, I find some areas pretty empty actually..

because the character will be pretty far from the camera I don't want to had to much details on the model and put more details on the normal map.

here is a screen cap of a quick test of the low version + normalmap and a little ao on the diffuse map.

astro_normaltest.jpg

crits are welcome!
  • Astrofra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Astrofra polycounter lvl 15
    Heya, nice !!! I'm not fond of the modeling itself, but the baking seems very very clean !
    The high poly itself would deserve more control points, and more evenly spaced patterns.
  • jibowski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx fra! actually, the baking and the uvset should be cleaner, but I didn't spend so much time on it since it was just a test smile.gif

well after the last baking I finally decide to add/modify some details on the hi poly version. here is the updated version of the hipoly.
    astro_hi.jpg
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    this model would look really cool celshaded. I like the style. good job.